News   May 08, 2024
 362     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 694     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.5K     3 

Royal Oak Inn (376 Dundas East @ Ontario St, 3s) COMPLETE

Anyone booking into a Motel 6 knows that they are not getting five star anything, including location. I'm not embarrassed that a Motel 6 traveller might see this part of town. It's better than a part of LA that I stayed in once at a Ramada.

I'm not embarrassed that a Motel 6 traveller might see this part of town. It's better than a part of LA that I stayed in once at a Ramada.

but this Motel 6 is right by downtown, about 10-15 minutes from City Hall, Eaton Centre, financial district etc.
Not sure if the Ramada you mentioned in LA is that close to Staples Center or Beverly Center Mall.

Remember, too, that a lot of these "inner city" US hotels/motels might as well be fortified compounds relative to what surrounds them--i.e. going for a neighbourhood walk might be taking your life in your own hands; then again, hardly anyone who stays is of the sort to go on neighbourhood walks...

My services have been retained to find a tenant for the main floor of this building. The owner is looking to make a cafe/bar/restaurant on the main floor that would compliment the hotel and neighborhood and also have 14 to 18 rooms upstairs (I don't have the final numbers). There are structural considerations with this building which the architect and designer are also reviewing. The brick is extensively damaged due to prolonged water exposure and it's limited what can be done to save it.

From my conversations with the owner, the banner of the hotel isn't going to be Motel 6. The target demographic is travelers looking for extended stay hotel in Toronto at decent price and services offered would be similar to a bed and breakfast which is inline with this area.

Hope this helps everyone out...

There are structural considerations with this building which the architect and designer are also reviewing. The brick is extensively damaged due to prolonged water exposure and it's limited what can be done to save it.

Does it mean that new brick will be used for repairs? Or does it mean a total demo and a new building?

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 2A5

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 120352 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Feb 14, 2013

Project: Motel/Hotel Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to existing building to convert to "Motel 6". See related ZPR-13-109767.

Then again, before screaming bloody EIFS: given what I've suggested about the building probably (like Reynolds) already having gone through at least one attempted resurrection in the past, would this be yet another case of overzealous 70s-style sandblasting? (Also cf King + Sherbourne SE corner)

IOW the "damaged due to water exposure" alibi might not be entirely unfounded--unfortunately, 70s "restorations" often wound up accelerating deterioration by scouring away essential surfaces. (By the 80s, the trend was more t/w water- or chemical-based washes than sandblasting.)

I'm not advocating EIFS; I'm just saying that there may be some truth here (and even reputable restoration architects would vouch for that fact)

Oh yeah, no doubt about it. Another EIFS outrage is on its way. Just admit it.

The building hasn't been maintained properly in over 10 years and there is a LOT of water damage to the brick and holes where water is permeating through... I live in Cabbagetown and the last thing I'd like to see is a beautiful building as such being covered up in EIFS.

The architect and designer are working on this and I will post here once I have more information.

Thanks Adma for the clarification...

The building hasn't been maintained properly in over 10 years and there is a LOT of water damage to the brick and holes where water is permeating through... I live in Cabbagetown and the last thing I'd like to see is a beautiful building as such being covered up in EIFS.

The architect and designer are working on this and I will post here once I have more information.

Thanks Adma for the clarification...

Thanks for the information, Addy. My house is just around the corner from this development, and I will be very interested to hear about it's progress. I'd love to see a resto/bar, but with a LLBO licence comes the threat of what I'll call the "wing machine" effect. Being a Cabbagetowner, you may know what I mean.

The brick is extensively damaged due to prolonged water exposure and it's limited what can be done to save it.

If the brick cannot be saved what they should do it just add a new brick veneer to the outside. If done properly it can look just like the original.

I saw this on Carlton street - just east of Parliament - where some of the Victorian homes that make up the "Don Area Co-op" were given new brick exteriors that faithfully recreate the original look. Anyone walking by these buildings today would not know that the brick exterior is brand new.

Thanks for the information, Addy. My house is just around the corner from this development, and I will be very interested to hear about it's progress. I'd love to see a resto/bar, but with a LLBO licence comes the threat of what I'll call the "wing machine" effect. Being a Cabbagetowner, you may know what I mean.

I agree... and this is one of the considerations for the landlord as well. He wants to add something to the building that would be a good fit for the building and the neighborhood... I'll keep you posted here about the progress...

but this Motel 6 is right by downtown, about 10-15 minutes from City Hall, Eaton Centre, financial district etc.
Not sure if the Ramada you mentioned in LA is that close to Staples Center or Beverly Center Mall.

Well, you don't have to walk very far from the Staples Center to get to some pretty unseemly parts of LA (the whole LA live complex around the Staples Center is a very inward looking "faux downtown" precisely because the area has some "tough" neighbourhoods). Only in the very recent past has some of the benefits spilled out of LA Live into some of the surounding environs (been travelling on and off to the LA area for about 20 years....this past January was the first time we saw enough improvement to spend post event time at some new spots in the area).

The Beverly Center is in West Hollywood (at the corner of La Cienega and Beverly) and has as much in common with downtown Los Angeles as Sherway does with Downtown Toronto.

Back