News   May 09, 2024
 811     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 545     0 

Royal Oak Inn (376 Dundas East @ Ontario St, 3s) COMPLETE

motel6m9a.jpg

motel6m9b.jpg

motel6m9c.jpg

The site is in the heart of the proposed expansion area of the Cabbagetown Heritage Conservation District (http://www.cabbagetownhcd.ca/southwest.html). Will Preservation Services weigh in on the proposed plans or will this be another example post-mortem (if the renovation goes badly) of how under-staffed they are?

f1231_it2111.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0536.jpg

Attachments

• f1231_it2111.jpg
    f1231_it2111.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 959
  • f1257_s1057_it0536.jpg
    f1257_s1057_it0536.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 922
Last edited:
That side area would be a perfect place for a nice patio.

Perfect, indeed. West facing, with a low building across Ontario for lots of sun exposure, only meters from my house...

Addy, any updates on possible tenants? Or any other news?
Also, I noticed in your link that it says "back patio possible". Seeing as there is little space in the back, can I assume this means a patio on the Ontario street section on the west side of the building?

Last edited:
Thanks for the interesting information thecharioteer. So it was originally a hotel? Funny, I guess things have come full-circle.

Would be very cool if they restored the third-floor corner balcony, wrought-iron railing included. Not holding my breath though.

Perfect, indeed. West facing, with a low building across Ontario for lots of sun exposure, only meters from my house...

Addy, any updates on possible tenants? Or any other news?
Also, I noticed in your link that it says "back patio possible". Seeing as there is little space in the back, can I assume this means a patio on the Ontario street section on the west side of the building?

Still working on the tenants for the main floor... Have a very interested party looking to do a wine/bar/brunch cafe there but nothing on paper yet...
The patio won't be facing Ontario street rather in the alley that you see above by the egress. There's ample space in the back for a nice patio...
Regarding the sign question, we are actually hoping to revive the old sign that you can see in the pictures. Trying to maintain as much of the original look as possible...

One point worth noting is that I'm just a messenger... I'm passing information along from my discussions and don't have control over the outcome... I hope it will stay on track as I'm being told...
In other words... Don't shoot the messenger :)

Is this going to be restored?

Still working on the tenants for the main floor... Have a very interested party looking to do a wine/bar/brunch cafe there but nothing on paper yet...
The patio won't be facing Ontario street rather in the alley that you see above by the egress. There's ample space in the back for a nice patio...
Regarding the sign question, we are actually hoping to revive the old sign that you can see in the pictures. Trying to maintain as much of the original look as possible...

One point worth noting is that I'm just a messenger... I'm passing information along from my discussions and don't have control over the outcome... I hope it will stay on track as I'm being told...

Please suggest that the owners get a decent heritage architect like ERA, if only on a consulting basis for the windows, doors and paint colours. It will make a difference and increase the value of the property!

It's fantastic news that the new owners are taking this sort of attitude toward the building.

Nice try, but I'm doing to hold you personally responsible for the outcome of this entire project. Prepare to feel my wrath should I be disappointed with this in any way, shape, or form. ;)

It's too bad that the Ontario street side won't be used, great sun exposure, but I can see it being problematic to get permits.

Thanks again for keeping us in the loop, Addy.

Not yet...

The guys that are working knock the sign down and forget to put it back into place... We do have a tentative deal in the works at the moment... It will be a little while before we can finalize on a tenant for the building.

Back