2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conflict of Interest laws need to change in this province. Despite what many believe is Conflict of Interest, the term legally applies only within participation in formal City Council & Committee/Board meetings, etc. That means meetings arranged by public servants involving bureaucrats & third parties don't apply.

Here's a paper by John Mascarin that some might be interested in: The Conduct of Elected Municipal Officials – Can Their Behaviour be Regulated?

He does. And he doesn't see it as a conflict at all.
BUT, in fairness, trying to buy a slice of parkland adjacent to your property is one thing. Thinking you can expropriate PRIVATE land to give it to another private landowner is insane. I'd grant that the stunning idea seems to have come from Deco but the Fords pushed it up to the chain. We've already established that Ford doesn't think wasting staff time (to buy him liquor or, say, assess an impossible and obviously illegal expropriation) in any way constitutes either a conflict or a waste of taxpayer resources.

George W Bush did exactly this when he was governor of Texas - expropriated land from unwilling landowners to build the new Rangers Stadium in Arlington, and then promptly sold the "public" stadium to the team upon completion. Coincidentally, Bush was a part-owner of the team.

http://globalresearch.ca/articles/CON202A.html

Painful public transit, this.

Is this kind of tear-up-the-road disruption is what you’d get with subways subways subways? Consider that a preview of the next 10 years, then.

Anybody under 30 or over 50 voting for subways to make their daily travel easier may find they are onto a different life stage by the time their new station gets opened. If you want relief anytime soon, you might have to settle for improved bus service.

That reminds me of reporters asking York U students in 2006 if they were looking forward to having the subway come right to the campus when the extension was announced. The subway is going to open (maybe) next year or early 2016. I doubt many of those students that were interviewed will probably care about it when it opens.

Last edited:
Conflict of Interest laws need to change in this province. Despite what many believe is Conflict of Interest, the term legally applies only within participation in formal City Council & Committee/Board meetings, etc. That means meetings arranged by public servants involving bureaucrats & third parties don't apply.

Here's a paper by John Mascarin that some might be interested in: The Conduct of Elected Municipal Officials – Can Their Behaviour be Regulated?

Is there any thing in the ballpark of influence peddling that covers this sort of thing?

Last edited:
Well, Brickworks doesn't seem like an overly Ford friendly area for debate, so I'm going to bet that's the next he decides to pull out of. I'm willing to say it's a safe bet he's voted against funding it, anyhow.

If it weren't my daughter's birthday, I'd be at the Brickworks too.
Ya, I registered earlier. Looking forward to it.

Its interesting that the Globe is not allowing comments on their Deco story. They only do that when the matter has legal ramifications.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 4m
Today on the campaign trail: Mayor Rob Ford's campaign says he'll be riding the Sheppard subway today #TOpoli

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 10m
Rob Ford will be holding press conference at Don Mills Stn this after to talk Sheppard subway #topoli

He needs some deflection from the Deco story.

Is there anything (describing activities and/or conduct) in the Electoral Rules that would see a candidate disqualified from running for election during the campaign period? I keep thinking Soknacki's FOI dossier might have a magic whammy inside it...

i guess now we know it's from smoking crack...

Ford described his condition as a “little throat infection†that triggered his asthma, though he said the diagnosis still isn’t clear. He said doctors told him that his illness could have been caused by an old inhaler or by food poisoning.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/08/09/toronto_mayor_rob_ford_discharged_from_hospital.html

eta: another gem from that article...

When asked on radio whether the public has a right to know about the health issues of their mayor, Ford said absolutely.

“You’re my boss, you pay my wages,†he said, referring to Torontonians. “When something’s wrong, the taxpayers should be the first to know.â€

i guess now we know it's from smoking crack...
When asked on radio whether the public has a right to know about the health issues of their mayor, Ford said absolutely.
“You’re my boss, you pay my wages,” he said, referring to Torontonians. “When something’s wrong, the taxpayers should be the first to know.”

Except that the news re: crack broke almost a year before his check-in to Greenstone (as a result of a second crack episode). Did he volunteer that information prior? He *sure* did. Oh wait I know, because it is really embarassing, etc...

AoD

Last edited:
This latest Globe story....I know it is a near impossibility, but forget for a second the entire circus of chaos around RoDoFo, and that Apollo is a major client of Deco's.

How could anyone think there is nothing wrong with the city (read the state) expropriating private property from one private citizen for the sole purpose of the commercial benefit for a second private citizen, at their request? It is mind boggling. Nearly as hard to understand as why this kind of behaviour alone(remember, we are ignoring the circus for now) isn't enought to convince every single voter in Toronto that these two are irredeemably unfit for public office.

just taking a second to re-read jimmi t's ford interview from about 10 years ago, and i gotta highlight how little has changed...

Ford: There are just a couple of things I have to iron out, and physically I have to get in better shape. I was 250 pounds of solid muscle 10 years ago. Now, I’m 300 pounds with some flab. I have to lose 50 pounds and turn it back into muscle. I have to iron out a few things with my sister. I have to make sure my parents are taken care of. And outside of that, everything’s lined up and ready to go.

http://www.brettruffell.com/my-interview-with-then-mayoral-hopeful-rob-ford/

i wonder what the issues with kathy were at that time. which brings me back to something one of you said about kathy's police interview... could macintyre be one of the things discussed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back