644     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a thing:
ybzrp.gif
GraphicMatt, you should use that as a new meme. Toronto politics is so interesting with a fast running piece of lard.

I don't know if this has been suggested yet, and I may be giving the broFo to much credit, but is it possible that the council vote for LRT played right into the broFo's plans? Here's my reasoning:

We all thought that Ford was screwed for promising two underground transit lines running to Scarborough Town Centre at no extra cost to the taxpayer. There was no way he was going to pull this off and it was just a matter of time before it blew up in his face. He probably realized this very early on and was more interested in engineering an escape from this situation than in actually producing any new transit lines. Since council took the initiative in voting down his subway plan before it actually got started, it allows Ford to continue to chant the mantra "it's all about subways" without having to put his money where his mouth is, so to speak. Now he can go back to the electorate with the argument: "You wanted subways, and I tried to deliver, but council and the left-wing media stopped me because they're all downtown elitists", rather than "I promised subways, but it turned out to be harder than I though. Sorry about that".

Remember: Ford has no love for public transit. This is all about positioning himself for reelection rather than producing actual results.

I don't know if this has been suggested yet, and I may be giving the broFo to much credit, but is it possible that the council vote for LRT played right into the broFo's plans? Here's my reasoning:

We all thought that Ford was screwed for promising two underground transit lines running to Scarborough Town Centre at no extra cost to the taxpayer. There was no way he was going to pull this off and it was just a matter of time before it blew up in his face. He probably realized this very early on and was more interested in engineering an escape from this situation than in actually producing any new transit lines. Since council took the initiative in voting down his subway plan before it actually got started, it allows Ford to continue to chant the mantra "it's all about subways" without having to put his money where his mouth is, so to speak. Now he can go back to the electorate with the argument: "You wanted subways, and I tried to deliver, but council and the left-wing media stopped me because they're all downtown elitists", rather than "I promised subways, but it turned out to be harder than I though. Sorry about that".

Remember: Ford has no love for public transit. This is all about positioning himself for reelection rather than producing actual results.

I agree that's how he's likely to play it. But too few people trust him now for that line to convince anyone who isn't already a locked-in Ford fanatic. http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...ers-sharp-rise-voter-disaffection-1618608.htm

I agree that's how he's likely to play it. But too few people trust him now for that line to convince anyone who isn't already a locked-in Ford fanatic. http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...ers-sharp-rise-voter-disaffection-1618608.htm

I agree. I also think that it's ridiculous to start moving into reelection mode with over 2 years to go. The issues that are important right now will not be on the radar in the fall of 2014. As with most Canadian elections, there will likely be some big "crisis" that emerges right before the election that will frame the campaign (e.g. a strike, a scandal, a rise in crime/unemployment/taxes/fees/smog or pollution/gas prices, etc., etc., etc.)

Still, I'm somewhat impressed that Ford has managed to emerge from this whole transit mess with at least a political narrative to hold onto and a few loyalists left on council. It reminds me of how George W. Bush was able to shift to a different narrative after no WMDs were found in Iraq.

there was a newspaper article that outlined just that.
sorry i can't remember who or find the link.

they interviewed DF after the vote and he stated that left-sided council played directly into their hands and guaranteed RF's re-election. DF's reasoning is that councilors scorned Etobicoke and Scarborough, and without those votes, whoever runs for mayor won't get sufficient numbers without thoses areas.

there was a newspaper article that outlined just that.
sorry i can't remember who or find the link.

they interviewed DF after the vote and he stated that left-sided council played directly into their hands and guaranteed RF's re-election. DF's reasoning is that councilors scorned Etobicoke and Scarborough, and without those votes, whoever runs for mayor won't get sufficient numbers without thoses areas.

You're thinking of this: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...nto-re-election-campaign-mode/article2349795/

Said statement is laughable, if the two bros think they've got all of Scarborough on their side. Etobicoke, eh maybe.

While making Sunday dinner, I heard Doug (and sometimes Rob) Ford on CFRB between the commercials and news. Odd that the commercials came on just as good questions were being asked, and disappeared after the commercials.

When Rob did attempt to answer, it was just the rehash of old answers. No facts to back him up. Or Doug would answer them.

About what I expected him to answer. Probably will not listen next week or after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back