420     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 834     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 690     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where nfitz now, calling out those who pick on the mayor's size as a point of ridicule? It's not easy to defend those we don't like or even despise.
Rob Ford is the one who started this media circus over his weight. Though even I think some of the comments are going a bit far ...

Perhaps he should have gone for some personal traits that are easier to fix ... is Jai Rodriguez available?

That's a bad sign for Ford -- if his natural base is rebelling at the idea of increasing revenue to fund transit, he really has no where to go. At this point, he has painted himself into the corner of having to deliver something transit-related to save face.

^ I don't think so. The Sun is attacking Ford from the right -- proposing parking taxes is not ideologically pure enough for them.

^ I don't think so. The Sun is attacking Ford from the right -- proposing parking taxes is not ideologically pure enough for them.
But is Ford Nation in general any less right wing, or any more amenable to taxes? However compromising Ford is willing to be, I don't see his base willing to go with him.

Sign of the apocolypse?

The Sun editorial today is critical of Rob Ford.

Is the Sun freakin' kidding me? They STILL believe that we could somehow pay for a new subway line entirely by finding "waste" buried somewhere in the city's budget? Have they not been paying attention to city politics for the past 2 years during which said waste has not materialized despite Ford's best efforts to find it? Anyone done the calculations on how many canceled staff Christmas parties it would take to pay for one km of subway?

Is the Sun freakin' kidding me? They STILL believe that we could somehow pay for a new subway line entirely by finding "waste" buried somewhere in the city's budget?

Neither the Sun nor Ford really care about transit. The Sun would be fine with building nothing.

I've never understood the Sun's editorial and demographic leanings. They try to speak to the blue collar working guy, but if he belongs to a private or public sector union the paper hates you...unless you're police. Whenever there is a strike, the paper blames greedy unions and supports business, but business doesn't read or buy the paper. It must work for them as they're still printing papers.

That's a bad sign for Ford -- if his natural base is rebelling at the idea of increasing revenue to fund transit, he really has no where to go. At this point, he has painted himself into the corner of having to deliver something transit-related to save face.

Just as Gweed said earlier in the thread, and I laugh every time I repeat it, by proposing subways AND taxes to build them Ford's turned himself into an "ideological pretzel". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back