News   Apr 26, 2024
 463     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 360     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 559     0 

Riverdale

The Marvel Coffee on Carlaw at Danforth is now open, just in time for Taste of the Danforth.

And this is somewhat old news, but the Cook's Nook is closing. No big shock - it was never as good as the Cook's Place in the same space before it.

Has anyone tried Red Castle yet?
The falafel I had was quite good, certainly best available on Danforth. The service was very disorganized, but I went opening day, and so that hopefully will improve.

I stopped by Red Castle on Friday. The best shwarma that I've had it Toronto.
Service still a bit slow, but the food is worth it!

Based on your recommendation, we tried Red Castle last night (we had it delivered). It was very tasty, and it's a good addition to the neighbourhood. My favourite remains Shawarma's King at Church and Queen though.

The plaza at 842 Gerrard Street East (NW corner with Carlaw) is being renovated to accommodate a daycare centre. The portion of the plaza with the Real Jerk looks good, but the remainder of the plaza was mostly vacant and looking crappy (formerly occupied by smoke-filled Rose Donut, which couldn't survive in face of new smoking rules, and a few marginal medical offices). That might explain why they were ripping up the parking lot in the spring - the site used to be a gas station, and some environmental testing/work might have been needed before a sensitive use like a daycare could be permitted.

According to the City's Building Permit database, there will be a new playground area on the roof and a new exterior entrance area in part of existing parking lot. The daycare could be a nice addition to this corner.

I hope the work entails replacing the ugly row of mismatched, crooked bollards on the edge of the plaza parking lot along Carlaw. It was nice of Real Jerk to paint them red, yellow and green, but it didn't help much.
RealJerk.jpg

Attachments

• RealJerk.jpg
    RealJerk.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 711
Last edited:
That's good! Not only from an aesthetic POV but also because I am sure a decent daycare is needed.

Was out and about this afternoon.

(1) Tia's Bakery on Pape, just north of the subway, is toast.

(2) Maxi, a long time fashion fixture on Danforth and a place where I have dropped tends of thousands since moving into the hood in 1985, has decamped to its second and much smaller location in Yorkville.

EDITED TO ADD: (3) Coffee Time at Broadview just south of Danforth is also gone.

That's too bad about Tia's Bakery. I had no interest in a gluten-free and dairy-free bakery, so I never went in there, but I walked there a couple of times before it opened when it looked like a young couple putting the place together. And it was a nice spot in an otherwise dreary, neglected stretch. They might have done better had they been a regular bakery, with gluten-free and dairy-free options.

Ocean's Treasure Fish Market, on the SE corner of Carlaw and Danforth, has closed. There was a sign in the window thanking patrons, and saying that the owners would first take a short break and would then seek a new location on Danforth. I assume their rent was hiked, and they couldn't come to an agreement with their landlord.

Just as the swanky new De La Mer fish market opens down the street.

The For Lease sign has been removed from the storefront where locals ignored Pulp Kitchen for about a year, and there is now paper on the windows and a sign that says "Ocean" in the window. Not sure is this is the return of Ocean's Treasure Fish Market, or some variation thereof, which used to be located next door, or something else completely.

Back