News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 289     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 819     0 

Riverdale

For Lease signs are now gone from both halves of the former Friendly Greek space. According to the City's building permit database, permits have been requested for both parts - the database identifies Absolute Bakery as occupying one of the two spaces, but merely refers to alterations to the existing restaurant for the other space.

Something also appears to be happening in the old Nharo space, located between the former Friendly Greek space and Flox, where the For Lease sign has also come down.

The For Lease sign has been removed from the storefront where locals ignored Pulp Kitchen for about a year, and there is now paper on the windows and a sign that says "Ocean" in the window. Not sure is this is the return of Ocean's Treasure Fish Market, or some variation thereof, which used to be located next door, or something else completely.

I hope it's a seafood restaurant. Not that it would survive. But at least I will be happy for a while.

Incidentally, finally made it to Mr. Ciao on Gerrard. Loved it.

I hope it's a seafood restaurant. Not that it would survive. But at least I will be happy for a while.

I would love a seafood restaurant too (although we did shop at the old fishmonger). Hate to be the bearer of bad news for you - they added a second handwritten sign on the door, and it is the old Ocean Fish Market formerly of next door which is moving in.

Seriously, this isn't Montreal machisma (is there such a thing?) talking but what is up with Toronto that it can sustain only a few half-decent (and overpriced IMO) seafood places?

Sushi doesn't count. And neither does the token inclusion of a grilled tilapia or farmed salmon special on some otherwise meaty menu.

The Greeks in Greece, for example, eat fish fish fish. Many live on islands, FCS. But even the Danforth couldn't support a "psarotaverna." The latest death, of course, was Kritamos. This is why, whenever I go back to Montreal, I am at Milos, Zante, Elounda etc.

I would kill for a Lobster fra diavlo in a good Italian restaurant, or a moules-et-frites emporium.

For Lease signs are now gone from both halves of the former Friendly Greek space. According to the City's building permit database, permits have been requested for both parts - the database identifies Absolute Bakery as occupying one of the two spaces, but merely refers to alterations to the existing restaurant for the other space.

Word is that the other half of the old Friendly Greek space is becoming a sushi place. Sigh.

I would kill for a Lobster fra diavlo in a good Italian restaurant, or a moules-et-frites emporium.

Well, part of it might be that Toronto restauranteurs don't do seafood well. The rancid mussels at the old fish place on Market? The mussels place that went into (I think) the space where St. Louis wings is on Carlaw? They did mussels, but served them without frites NOR bread!

Last decent mussels place was Cafe Bruxelles on Broadview before it got sold, moved to Danforth, and (obviously, given the drop in quality) lost its chef!

Isn't that funny. I vaguely remember a fancy shmancy-ish restaurant at Carlaw before Swiss Chalet and St. Louis but I never went in. Can't recall why.

The thing is, mussels are damned easy. I buy them by the pound, rinse them off and then cook them with whatever I have on hand: e.g. Blue cheese, sherry, green onions
I won't make frites though. Too much bother and messes up the kitchen. We used to have a friteuse but got rid of it when we downsized.

I find it hard to believe that all these celebrated chefs in Toronto, whose plates are elaborate and odd concoctions of I-dunno-what at ridiculous prices, can't manage what any Mediterranean peasant or Acadien can.

Bouillabaisse for the win!

I think we are becoming over-cafe-nated. Between Carlaw and Logan, I count I don't know how many.

Marvel on Carlaw (yummy squares.)
Leonidas on the Alexander the Great Square. (Chocolate!)
Tim Horton's at the corner of Logan and also Broadview.
Crema at 508 Danforth.
521 at Fenwick.
Cafe Frappe also at Fenwick.

563 Danforth Ave., where Ocean's Treasure Fish Market used to be (the fish market is now moving in next door) and where the owner redid the front facade, is now apparently leased, but no hint as to whom.

Yeah, I saw it was closing. I'm sad to see it go, but I'm a heavy tea drinker who hardly ever went there, much preferring Tsaa's more cafe-like approach.

Back