News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 274     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 807     0 

Riverdale

did anybody see the lighting of the queen street bridge? If not, check it out here. One other plus, is that the clock has been fixed.
https://youtu.be/6e_h7m9t4_o

Screen shot 2015-06-07 at 6.18.04 PM.png

carlos osorio / toronto star

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-06-07 at 6.18.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-06-07 at 6.18.04 PM.png
    479.3 KB · Views: 1,064
Isn't that bridge in Riverside, not Riverdale?
You can see it from Riverdale though ... though what is Riverdale ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverdale,_Toronto says it goes south to Lakeshore. Surely Queen-Broadview village is just a portion of Riverdale ... :) (consider this a rhetorical question - we don't really need this debate again).

In Riverdale news, they've finally started to construct a new building at the South East corner of Broadview and Gerrard where the building burned down in 2013.
Yes, that been good to see. If nothing else it will be good to see that scaffolding disappear.

Last edited:
Oh my god, you're right -- the fence around the patio look like rink boards.

Launching a hockey-themed bar in the summer -- how brilliant is that?

Rivals at Carlaw and Danforth seemed to be dismantling the "rink boards" today. The plastic had been warping a bit. Not sure if they are trying to repair them or simply abandoning a very bad idea.

In other news, the potential Home Hardware on the north side of Danforth, east of Pape (just a couple of doors down from the old Pape Home Hardware) may actually come to pass. It seemed iffy for awhile (nothing was happening, and a "for lease" sign went up despite the "Home Hardware Coming Soon" signs), but I just noticed yesterday that the for lease sign is gone and that there are help wanted signs in the window.

In other news, the potential Home Hardware on the north side of Danforth, east of Pape (just a couple of doors down from the old Pape Home Hardware) may actually come to pass.
That's great news -- the Canadian Tire Express is fine for very basic hardware needs, but it's not a full hardware store.

I didn't see a thread for Greektown, so I'll assume it goes here. Did anybody notice the new signs on Danforth saying "Welcome to Greektown" and "Thank you for coming"? Are those new? I didn't notice them last time I was there and the huge signs are pretty hard to miss. You can see them at the beginning and end of this video. The signs are located at the east and west sides of Greektown.

Hard not to notice them. Those signs have been up for quite some time. At least a year - possibly longer. There was a discussion in this thread when the massive columns were first installed on the sidewalk.

I'm not a fan.

The signs are rather tacky, and seem kinda desperate to me -- the strip is rapidly "de-Greekifying", and the huge signs seem like a rear-guard action by the BIA.

Back