News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Popeyes at Christie and Dupont has apparently closed.

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2024/03/popeyes-dupont-closed/

Karma for this horrendous paint job.

1710252400464.png

Via Twitter

I was just about to say, they deserved it for desecrating a handsome historic building. That location never seemed even remotely busy. Hopefully a nice indie cafe opens there.
It's interesting because I was just starting to notice a month or so ago that Popeye's is constantly opening up right close to an A&W all over the place. (In Toronto)
I wonder if a new franchisee will take it over and restart it. (or corporate, maybe)
Look at places like St. Clair & Bathurst, Yonge & Eglinton (although not right next door, still pretty close)
Bloor & Bathurst (across the street from each other)
and many other locations in this city...

Frankly Popeye's is overrated - and overexpanded. The sides are particularly insipid - and coleslaw, gross.

AoD

Their growth here has really been a function of two things.

1) KFC mismanaging its way to irrelevancy, creating space in the market

2) Being owned by RBI, which gave them the Tim's team for franchising and real estate. We all rightly dump on Tim's for its many failings, but their folks know how to franchise and how to unlock good real estate for their type of business.

That's it. They do, do spicy a bit better than KFC, and have more condiments, but I don't think that's a huge driver and is almost certainly offset by the fact they are much slower to move an order (KFC has more stuff ready, that's been sitting in a warming tray for who know's how long, but it does mean you're less likely to stand there for ages waiting for 'fast food'.

Side note, I hadn't been in a KFC in months and went a few weeks back to @tstormers favourite one....... nostalgia for the batter/skin is my only excuse..........but I digress..........

I frankly would have just ordered 1 piece of chicken to satisfy that desire, but of course, the combo is almost the same price. KFC fries have been terrible my entire life........and the 'gravy' not much better.

But what used to save it for me, is that I would get a vinegar packet and pepper and add flavour to the gravy. When I was in this last time............ "we no longer carry vinegar".

Ok then.....odds on my having KFC more than once a year just declined.

Last edited:
I’ve stopped going to KFC at all. The nostalgia just doesn’t do it for me any more. If i have a fried chicken craving I go to one of the newer places, like Cluck Cluck’s. I do love the shrimp at Popeye’s, though. I go at off times so it’s not busy, prepare to wait for a few minutes and enjoy the fact that it’s actually fresh from the fryer.

Given there’s no common control between Popeyes and A&W (the opposite actually), the extent to which they’re opening up near each other is just because they target similar demographics/traffic volumes.

I’ve stopped going to KFC at all. The nostalgia just doesn’t do it for me any more. If i have a fried chicken craving I go to one of the newer places, like Cluck Cluck’s. I do love the shrimp at Popeye’s, though. I go at off times so it’s not busy, prepare to wait for a few minutes and enjoy the fact that it’s actually fresh from the fryer.

Given there’s no common control between Popeyes and A&W (the opposite actually), the extent to which they’re opening up near each other is just because they target similar demographics/traffic volumes.

I only go to KFC when I am constipated. It clears me out.

Their growth here has really been a function of two things.

1) KFC mismanaging its way to irrelevancy, creating space in the market

2) Being owned by RBI, which gave them the Tim's team for franchising and real estate. We all rightly dump on Tim's for its many failings, but their folks know how to franchise and how to unlock good real estate for their type of business.

That's it. They do, do spicy a bit better than KFC, and have more condiments, but I don't think that's a huge driver and is almost certainly offset by the fact they are much slower to move an order (KFC has more stuff ready, that's been sitting in a warming tray for who know's how long, but it does mean you're less likely to stand there for ages waiting for 'fast food'.

Side note, I hadn't been in a KFC in months and went a few weeks back to @tstormers favourite one....... nostalgia for the batter/skin is my only excuse..........but I digress..........

I frankly would have just ordered 1 piece of chicken to satisfy that desire, but of course, the combo is almost the same price. KFC fries have been terrible my entire life........and the 'gravy' not much better.

But what used to save it for me, is that I would get a vinegar packet and pepper and add flavour to the gravy. When I was in this last time............ "we no longer carry vinegar".

Ok then.....odds on my having KFC more than once a year just declined.

I obviously have a liking to KFC hahaha. I do like their Carolina Honey Mustard dipping sauce for their tenders, enjoy the gravy or used too, depends on location tbh and the batter/skin is my fav of all the chicken places I have been too. Fries used to be better as well as the poutine :( (Current fry/gravy mix isn't like it used to be).

I only go to KFC when I am constipated. It clears me out.
Funny you say that as the opposite is true for Popeyes lol, but the fries are way better.

On the fries note, since it popped in my head, Burger Kings fries have to be the worst in the fast food space.

Thanks for the tag @Northern Light and the visit to my adopted KFC lol

Back