News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 637     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Lonestar Texas Grill piloting a new "Cantina" concept, and their Whitby Centrum location will get the massive makeover.

View attachment 545038
View attachment 545039

Interesting that Lone Star still has a strong presence in Ontario, many years after abandoning their only City location at Front/Simcoe.

I really liked the store-made tortilla chips, the salsa was ok, but needed a bit more kick; regrettably, the rest of the menu was pretty uninspired.

Burger's Priest will be closing their original (?) location at 1636 Queen St E (east of Coxwell), and moving into a new location further east at 1922 Queen St E (a couple blocks east of Woodbine) in the Beaches area:

Yes, the original (OJ) that Shant himself opened June 2010. It was time to move to a bigger spot..

A much improved location geographically, it was really stranded where it was in an area that is not strong from a retail perspective.

Equally true that its near-zero seating and cramped space for lines/order waiting was a problem a few weeks after the original opening, and has only gotten worse.

I expect I'll make more use of them in the new spot.

Now, if only Torisho (the Karagge place) would fix their similar mistake. Well sited, in their case, but no seating; they're relying heavily on pick-up/delivery for home consumption, which is really a problem for them in summer, when The Beach is overflowing w/people, but they have to take the order to go and try to find a spot in the park with a table, near a washroom etc.

I get keeping seating low, trying to minimize rent; but making it so that anyone not driving/uber-eating etc. is basically being turned away is really weird to me.

Interesting that Lone Star still has a strong presence in Ontario, many years after abandoning their only City location at Front/Simcoe.

I really liked the store-made tortilla chips, the salsa was ok, but needed a bit more kick; regrettably, the rest of the menu was pretty uninspired.
Being from Eastern Ontario, the lack of them in Toronto was initially a surprise when i moved here, they're big outside of the city. Back in Kingston they have a converted heritage firehall downtown that's also one of the only waterfront patios.

As for the food, yeah it's... forgettable. Tbh I would mostly go there with friends to get free chips while drinking margaritas on said patio.

Being from Eastern Ontario, the lack of them in Toronto was initially a surprise when i moved here, they're big outside of the city. Back in Kingston they have a converted heritage firehall downtown that's also one of the only waterfront patios.

As for the food, yeah it's... forgettable. Tbh I would mostly go there with friends to get free chips while drinking margaritas on said patio.
It's a similar situation as Arby's - they have like 40-ish locations in Ontario, but none in the GTA proper (closest is in Burlington). If you spend all your time in Toronto, you'd think they ceased to exist. They used to have several locations in the city 20+ years ago, so I'm kind of mystified as to why a market of 3 million people can't seem to support a single local outpost. Mismanagement? I mean, if A&W can come back from the dead to seemingly have a store on every second corner, and now disturbingly Taco Bell is opening several new locations downtown, I don't see why Arby's can't.

Back