299     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 845     0 

Rare Maps of Toronto

Infrastructure 1858:

maps-r-120.jpg

Speaking of Sunnyside, an interesting map from 1894:

maps-r-111.jpg

1913 (wonder about the "Rolling Mill" at Indian Road and Lakeshore; gone by 1924):

highparkwaterfront.jpg

1924:

highparkwaterfront1924.jpg

Used in conjunction with other source maps (see this link for transit maps), we can see how some routes following the roads they took. In this map, it show a premium fare route that followed Indian Road to downtown since Indian Road was able to be used to get to the Lake Shore.

guide1948.gif

It is a beauty though, bleeepbluuup! Here's one from 1889 that has a rather fanciful version of the waterfront:

maps-r-152.jpg

Re: the Belt Line

1890:

1651aed1.jpg

Note the Humber Loop Line, which ran from Swansea to West Toronto via Baby Point, shut down by the 1900s. It was part of the same scheme as the Belt Line, a way to make money off subdividing property by building railways to serve them.

The western Belt Line/Humber Loop Line didn't fare even as well as the more well-known Belt Line, of which most survived as an industrial spur until the 1960s (slowly being cut back until vanishing in the late 1990s) and the Don Valley portion used for the Canadian Northern's mainline into Toronto (now CN/GO Richmond Hill), the only remaining part of the line constructed as the Belt Line.

A small part of the western route remained as an industrial spur, crossing the Queensway and tracks up until the 1960s at grade, and part of it resurrected for a decade as the bypass for the Toronto Suburban Guelph electric interurban until 1931.

Last edited:
That's exactly what it has to do with. The Park Lot system of land grants under Lt.-Gov. Simcoe resulted in only one continuous east-west street (Queen Street, formerly Lot Street) and major north-south streets, laid out too infrequently and with no respect to topography (as can be seen in the 1793 map below, the first north-south artery laid-out east of Yonge was right on the Don River, which became Bayview further north):

As can be seen on some of the maps previously posted, each grantee (Denison, Allan, Jarvis) subsequently subdivided his land according to his own designs.

Which is why the city went about the process of connecting all those subdivided streets to make proper east-west arterials once streetcars and auto traffic necessitated it. Dundas used to be 5 streets between Ossington and Yonge, even more to the east. Duke and Duchess were merged into Adelaide and Richmond at Jarvis, Syndenham with Shuter, though Eaton's was mostly responsible for allowing Carlton and College to be connected.

The legacy of the Park Lot system can be a drag for navigating the city on a bike (if wishing to avoid busy traffic) or on foot (disjointed, some long blocks), but it did give us many potentially interesting jogs.

Civic improvements 1908. Proposed diagonal streets and new parks:

ohq-maps-s-r-93-1.jpg

Some details:

ohq-maps-s-r-93-1-2-2.jpg

ohq-maps-s-r-93-1-2-3.jpg

Last edited:
A 1932 geological map (The original file is 15 MB and is best seen on the U of T website below as the detail is quite amazing):

torontomap1932-1.jpg

http://maps.library.utoronto.ca/dvhmp/Scans/G_3501_C5_1891_41G.jpg

This is a wonderful map and, fortunately, contains evidence of the abandoned RR line that I have been interested in for many years.
Long ago, I discovered an abandoned right-of-way that ran through Scarborough and was visible on Ellesmere.
On this detail of the map, I have circled the spot where the CNoR line once crossed Ellesmere Rd.
The "Then & Now" photos shows how part of the abandoned RR was finally used for housing.

CNoRatEllesmere1932.jpg

TNhousesonrailway.jpg

This is a wonderful map and, fortunately, contains evidence of the abandoned RR line that I have been interested in for many years.
Long ago, I discovered an abandoned right-of-way that ran through Scarborough and was visible on Ellesmere.
On this detail of the map, I have circled the spot where the CNoR line once crossed Ellesmere Rd.
The "Then & Now" photos shows how part of the abandoned RR was finally used for housing.

CNoRatEllesmere1932.jpg

TNhousesonrailway.jpg

Interesting Goldie. Where this railway crosses a river in Thompson Park should be worth a look to see if there is any evidence of a bridge.

Back