News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 496     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Racism in Toronto Workforce

I don't know what you're saying anymore, read through the thread and maybe you'll have a better understanding.

You're incredibly obtuse. Malthus used Jews as an example of overcoming the racism that the article claims is holding people back. You say that's irrelevant because Jews aren't a visible minority. Well, to the racist people/institutions in question, Jews *are* an easily identified minority. The article claims there exists "structural and systemic racism" but then selectively ignores some historic and present-day racism.

Please read through the whole thread in order, this is the basis for his argument. He didn't think the original article was credible. I'm probably not going to bother responding anymore, just read through the thread.

Among young men born in Canada to two immigrant parents, visible minorities fare markedly worse-everything else being equal, their annual earnings are significantly lower than those of young men with native-born parents. Second-generation men who are not visible minorities, on the other hand, are no different from those with native-born parents—in fact, some evidence suggests that the hourly earnings of those with one immigrant parent might be higher. These results are consistent with census findings on an older population (aged 25 to 37), which showed that second-generation men whose parents came from Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, or Central and South America, and most of whom are visible minorities, had equal or greater levels of education but lower earnings than those with parents from traditional source countries in North America, and Northern and Western Europe

Uh, I know he didn't think the article was credible...I just said so and that I agree with him.

If you read the thread, you'd see Malthus questioned the validity of the article and mentioned Jews as an example before you posted stuff from Statcan.

Back in the day, there was probably more racism towards groups like Jews, Italians, Irish, etc., than there was towards some of the racialized groups today whose fate is being lamented in the article. Of course, the article makes it seem like "structural and systemic" racism was invented in the past few decades to suppress immigrants from Asia or Africa when, in fact, it has always existed. How is this productive?

Do Saxons like Normans?

Do Finns like Russians?

Do Irish Catholics like Ulster Scots?

Anyone that claims there isn't racism is a fool; anyone that claims racism will cease to exist is also a fool.

Thus, I believe wasting tax payer's dollars on Statscan studies to find the obvious is foolish.

(All imho.)

Avvy Go is an advocate for immigrant underdog causes; nothing wrong with that. If anyone has met her you'll know she seriously needs a makeover.

Being a visible minority myself, I don't hang with my own group, nor am I interested in my ancestors culture; it's just my way.

This has been an interesting thread with some well argued points from all sides.

to be honest, yes, that is what im saying

If you honestly believe no racism exists in Toronto, then to be honest I think you must be somewhat naive, or perhaps just not attentive.

To say there is relatively little in Toronto might be acceptable, and no blatant racism may be correct. I don't want to make assumptions, but I follow through with my earlier comment that I think people from certain minorities experience far less racism than others and so may be misled to believe that racism itself does not exist. But a quick trip to some of the more...er..."niche" Toronto web forums displays that Toronto and racist are not mutually exclusive.

Jewish and Eyetalian people *are* visible minorities to some...they can be more of a visible minority than a Chinese guy living in Markham.
One of my friends moved from his new house in Brampton, complaining that the folks from Jane & Finch (which I took to mean poor, black and criminally minded) seemed to have moved in around him. So he moved to Georgetown, which he claimed was as white as white, and even joked that the Klan had an office there. I had to tell him that the Klan wouldn't take too kindly to his olive skined Italian family :)

Toronto cops are the biggest bunch of racists i have ever seen. Read today's sun picking on toronto taxi drivers.

And since Jews were brought up earlier, according to Statcan, Jews experience twice as many hate crimes as Muslims do. I have to admit I was surprised by that.

And since Jews were brought up earlier, according to Statcan, Jews experience twice as many hate crimes as Muslims do. I have to admit I was surprised by that.
I think they may report them more, and perhaps have a justifiable low tolerance for the beginnings of hate, since they know where it can lead. Muslims, until they started knocking down buildings, crashing airplanes, blowing up trains, threatening friendly Danes over cartoons and establishing (albeit poorly conceived) terrorist training camps, while sending their sons overseas to fight Canadian forces and its allies, were rarely noticed amoungst the usual sea of minority faces in Toronto. Now that the fight is on, we might see a few more Muslims reporting hate, such as the Muslim Congress calling MacLeans out at the HRC over hate speech.

Back