Printing Factory Lofts Condos (Beaverbrook Homes) - Real Estate -

The floorplans are pretty good... I'm trying to figure out if I have enough room to add a kitchen island/breakfast bar.

move in date

I know that we have been told that the move in date will be somewhere in February of 2009 - has anyone heard any different? Has anyone heard any speculation as to possible delays?? I know that they are common....especially when retrofitting is involved, so I was wondering when should we be expecting this possible news?

A little bird told me ~3 to 4 months delay.

Meh. 3-4 months is acceptable. I'd rather move in June than February anyway. I've heard plenty of horror stories of delays lasting upwards of 2 years, so I'll consider myself lucky to get in there 3 mos. after the first scheduled move-in date.

i've joined the facebook group, i think everyone should!
As for it being delayed, you're right. 2-4 months is nothing compared to how long other people wait. i mean if you're waiting to move in, and you give up a lease elsewhere assuming you're moving in right away ... you can get pretty screwed. My friends place down on the waterfront is delayed by a year already, which they say is due to weather conditions.

-i hear though that a lot of companies are short handed with construction workers. So delays are placed to ensure that equipment rental and workers are available. I dunno how true that is though ...

and i've posted some pictures on the facebook group - check 'em out!

Some projects were delayed by the weather this winter. A shortage of skilled tradespeople is an ongoing problem in Toronto and results in many delays, and there does not seem to be an end in sight to this problem. From what I hear, if anything it is forecast to get worse, unless the pace of new construction slows down considerably.

reasons for concern...Printing Factory moving at a snails pace

Ladies and gents, I see a lot of "positive" discussion about the state of the Printing Factory Lofts at Queen and Carlaw. I also bough in this building back in October 2006 and I am eagerly awaiting completion and occupancy. For those of you who have driven by and seem to thing that the giant pit in the ground means that construction has begun.....please think again. I did a little research, and I am in the construction industry...and this is what you ALL need to know... The development application has not been granted Site Plan approval yet. Without Site Plan approval, a Building Permit cannot be granted.....and once the Site Plan is approved, it can take up to 2 months to get a Building Permit. That is why there is NO crane up yet, and that is why no footings have been poured and not foundation has been constructed. All they have is a demolotion permit....I urge you to drive by the site again and look around, now that you know... it will take you 2 minutes to realize that only demolition activities have occured to date. I suggest you ALL call the builder (Beaverbrook Homes) and request an update and convey your concerns, as I have done. This will get them moving to fulfill their Site Plan conditions...sorry for the "downer" but I wouldn't want future neighbours in the dark about this. This is a reason for concern!

Hmmm....

Ladies and gents, I see a lot of "positive" discussion about the state of the Printing Factory Lofts at Queen and Carlaw. I also bough in this building back in October 2006 and I am eagerly awaiting completion and occupancy. For those of you who have driven by and seem to thing that the giant pit in the ground means that construction has begun.....please think again. I did a little research, and I am in the construction industry...and this is what you ALL need to know... The development application has not been granted Site Plan approval yet. Without Site Plan approval, a Building Permit cannot be granted.....and once the Site Plan is approved, it can take up to 2 months to get a Building Permit. That is why there is NO crane up yet, and that is why no footings have been poured and not foundation has been constructed. All they have is a demolotion permit....I urge you to drive by the site again and look around, now that you know... it will take you 2 minutes to realize that only demolition activities have occured to date. I suggest you ALL call the builder (Beaverbrook Homes) and request an update and convey your concerns, as I have done. This will get them moving to fulfill their Site Plan conditions...sorry for the "downer" but I wouldn't want future neighbours in the dark about this. This is a reason for concern!

Vedbetter, thanks for the tip - it looks as though you are correct. For anyone interested, the permit for the foundation was submitted in October '07, and is still under review. The application for the permit for shoring was made last September and approved at the end of April. Maybe some of the other forum users can help us out - are these timeframes typical?

I bought here as well and was concerned by vedbetter's post, and called the city planning department. The person I talked to indicated that the timeframes are typical, and that the site plan approval often takes place well after construction has started. I was also told that the developer has recently paid all building permit fees and development charge fees, as well as the section 307 fees. So it sounds like things are moving along!

I sent an email to Beaverbrook and recieved this response today:

"As far as building progress goes, construction in moving along very well. Within a week you should be able to see the crane in place, meaning we are very close to starting the process of finishing the underground parking garage. As well, the demolition, shoring and site remediation have all been completed, and this has taken some time. An extensive retrofit project, as The Printing Factory is, is a complex construction project, and it often takes months for the obvious signs of progress to be seen. Rest assured, our goal is to complete construction as quickly as possible and to maintain as reasonable a schedule as market forces allow us to. We will soon have a better handle on when occupancies will be scheduled for, but generally we are planning on starting our occupancies in late spring 2009.

Soon we will be contacting our valued clients in order to select colours and upgrades for their suites, and we will be providing an occupancy update to you and your fellow residents at that time."

Printing Factory Lofts ceiling concerns

Hey guys -- wife and I just put down our initial deposit on one of the sawtooth lofts in this project and the more we think about it, the more we're worried about the 8.5 foot ceilings on the main floor of the two-floor unit.

The top floor is awesome -- ceilings hit 24 feet -- but we're concerned the main floor won't feel like a loft whatsoever given the ceiling height.

Is anyone else out there feeling the same way about this? Have you lived in a loft space with 8.5 foot ceilings before at any other location? What was that like?

Thanks
DR

Not too worried about the sound since I have no one above us and the soundproof ratings should be in the mid-40s, which is pretty decent. (one inch single stud with stuffing).

I think the term "loft" is more marketing-speak than anything.

The main floor will probably feel more like a typical house than a loft. You do have the 2nd floor ceilings to make up for a lack of loft feeling on the main floor though.

I currently live in an apartment with 8.5 ft ceilings and it is nice. That extra bit of height is noticably different from 8 ft ceilings.

Back