Printing Factory Lofts Condos (Beaverbrook Homes) - Real Estate -

I would worry about the lack of sound isolation between suites first.

Based on another thread on this site I thought this building had a STC rating of 54, Single stud with 2 layers of drywall on both side and type 2 insulation in between...I thought that was a good rating???

I currently live in an apartment with 8.5 ft ceilings and it is nice. That extra bit of height is noticably different from 8 ft ceilings.

I think it totally depends on the layout of the suite, and the glazing systems installed.

Wide units with floor to ceiling windows can pull off 8-foot ceilings, and look quite spacious. However, the same can not be said for narrow units. It is all perspective and suite-layouts.

It's a theoretical rating and it's not that good to begin with.

Hey AGTO - as I'm sure you remember, we've had this discussion the the Printing Factory Lofts thread in the construction section. In that thread, I provided some info from different sources indicating that the noise transference through the walls will LIKELY not be an issue (until the units are occupied, we won't know for sure).

You have made multiple claims in multiple threads that we're gonna have trouble with noise. Since you put no stock in STC ratings, could you please provide some kind of backup for your opinion? I'm genuinely curious as to why you seem so adamant that we'll hear our neighbors so easily.

could you please provide some kind of backup for your opinion?

No, it's my opinion...you don't have to read it.

I'm genuinely curious as to why you seem so adamant that we'll hear our neighbors so easily.

Because I live in a building with nothing but single studs and drywall between suites. I've also lived in a building with double stud walls, and the difference between them is astounding.
I also understand how sound travels through solids, liquids and gasses, unfortunately most people don't, and will argue based on their "understanding".

Why are you so offended by my opinion?

Not offended, just puzzled... or a least I WAS puzzled. Now, not so much. Have a nice day.

I'm again considering a purchase in the Printing Factory. Just curious if anyone on here lives in one of the Boston Avenue towns? Or has some "extra special" information about them. Thanks in advance!

Noise

I've lived here for just over a year, I can confirm (in the tower at least) that noise is a HUGE problem. I may actually move because of it.

No, it's my opinion...you don't have to read it.

Because I live in a building with nothing but single studs and drywall between suites. I've also lived in a building with double stud walls, and the difference between them is astounding.
I also understand how sound travels through solids, liquids and gasses, unfortunately most people don't, and will argue based on their "understanding".

Why are you so offended by my opinion?

STC rating is just used as a guide. I'd be willing to bet most new builds don't meet the minimum STC ratings. Seems like noise is a problem in this building. Typical of new builds and loft conversions. Beaverbrook is a poor builder as well, so no surprise, quality is an issue.

Back