News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 497     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Politics: 2014 Provincial Election & Transit Politics

Its privatized in the same sense that garbage collection is privatized. Operations are not done by a public company, simply paid for by the public.

I don't think I would call that privatized. Similarly, DRT's operations in Whitby (operated by Trentway-Wagar) wouldn't be privatized would it? Contracted out is a better term.

Regardless, I get really tired of the inane commercials with the animated jogging Wynne claiming that the Liberals would privatize future transit...that is literally not even in their budget.

Its privatized in the same sense that garbage collection is privatized. Operations are not done by a public company, simply paid for by the public.

Right....but just because one service is privatized does not mean the City of Toronto is privatized. Similarly, GO has contracted to the private sector to provide one set of services does not mean that GO is privatized. they are publicly owned and are entering contract negotiations with a significant number of their employees.

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/new...ed-of-disruptions-as-contract-talks-start-up/

If, for example, the TTC ended its ridiculous practice of running its own armoured car service and contracted that out to the many companies involved in that business....would that constitute the TTC being "privatized"?

If, for example, the TTC ended its ridiculous practice of running its own armoured car service and contracted that out to the many companies involved in that business....would that constitute the TTC being "privatized"?

That's something that should absolutely be contracted out if it saves money. I can't believe they actually do that.

That's something that should absolutely be contracted out if it saves money. I can't believe they actually do that.

I work at the corner of King and University.....the number of times you see the TTC car servicing St. Andrew at the same time either the BMO on the NW corner or the CIBC on the SW are being serviced by private sector armoured vehicles is quite amusing.

I think it has more to do with the unique fares that the TTC carries, private companies probably don't want to do it. Those vans are everywhere though, I swear they have several looping around downtown picking up fares.. I see them all the time.

regardless, all of it will be pointless in a few years once tokens are phased out.

I think it has more to do with the unique fares that the TTC carries, private companies probably don't want to do it. Those vans are everywhere though, I swear they have several looping around downtown picking up fares.. I see them all the time.

regardless, all of it will be pointless in a few years once tokens are phased out.

I'd prefer if they ditched tokens altogether and went to electronic fare cards and cash fares, along with accepting credit cards for tap and go. Then they could probably run a service train once a day to pick up fares....

I think the key distinction between "privatized" and "contracted" is who sets the routes and schedules. Generally speaking, a public entity is more willing to accept losses when providing a component of a service (ex: late night service or service in low density residential areas). A private company would focus their resources more on routes that have a greater ROI, and would actually turn a profit for them.

I have no problems with contracting out aspects of service delivery, providing it is equal or less than the cost of doing it in-house. I just want the public entity to be the one dictating routes and service frequencies, to ensure the service being delivered is in the best interest of the public, not the company running it.

Back