News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 590     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Politics: 2014 Provincial Election & Transit Politics

But do you actually think just because the budget passed it would be implemented? Like the funding for the Finch LRT and Sheppard LRT which i think was suppose to be up and running this year. Do you see anything on those routes?

Finch LRT was not supposed to be up and running, and the Rob Ford election to mayor is what killed the Sheppard LRT. Sheppard LRT was entering construction when Rob Ford came to power and the grade separation at Agincourt GO was created as part of that project. Blame the province for not shoving transit down the city's throat if you prefer, but I think that the province should heed to the wishes of municipal government for transportation spending that is entirely within a single municipality. If it is transportation that crosses boundaries then at least one of the two municipalities should be supportive. I don't think the province should support shoving LRT down Hamilton's throat if they don't want it for example. The province provided the funding promised, and the city rejected the project.

If Ontario Premiers start building transit, that's a bad sign. Transit planning shouldn't be in the hands of politicians. We can blame David Miller for this trend with his Transit City plan.

True, very true. I just feel Finch should be built because there is nothing up there. I should say Hudak should not cancel funding.

Finch LRT was not supposed to be up and running, and the Rob Ford election to mayor is what killed the Sheppard LRT. Sheppard LRT was entering construction when Rob Ford came to power and the grade separation at Agincourt GO was created as part of that project. Blame the province for not shoving transit down the city's throat if you prefer, but I think that the province should heed to the wishes of municipal government for transportation spending that is entirely within a single municipality. If it is transportation that crosses boundaries then at least one of the two municipalities should be supportive. I don't think the province should support shoving LRT down Hamilton's throat if they don't want it for example. The province provided the funding promised, and the city rejected the project.

I agree but the people should be willing to pay for the subways. Property taxes should double, transfer tax, etc.

If Ontario Premiers start building transit, that's a bad sign. Transit planning shouldn't be in the hands of politicians. We can blame David Miller for this trend with his Transit City plan.

You have to be kidding me... i don't even know where to begin with this one

picard-double-facepalm-o.gif

True, very true. I just feel Finch should be built because there is nothing up there. I should say Hudak should not cancel funding.

True there is nothing up there (NW Toronto: Rexdale, Yorkwoods, etc.) just like there is nothing in NE Toronto (Malvern, Agincort). Both need to be built out with modern rapid transit. Each of the Sheppard East LRT and Finch West LRT were supposed to address these voids.

So much of Toronto needs to be built out with new transit lines that it would be nice if everyone agreed to just keep building, instead of slowing the process down. Finch West, great! Sheppard East great! Bloor-Danforth extension or Eglinton-Scarborough LRT, whatever, great. Just keep building and never stop!!

There was a time when politicians tried to lead us to believe there could only be one line in a generation (Hi Mel Lastman, Mike Harris and company, Sheppard Subway) but the truth is if we want Toronto to remain an immigration destination AND function as a big city we have to build and learn to build faster and cheaper.

You have to be kidding me... i don't even know where to begin with this one

picard-double-facepalm-o.gif
Miller was trying to build a city, it didn't go over well apparently. I will say that being that no one disliked Transit City until Ford ran, many people in this city are full of it.
True there is nothing up there (NW Toronto: Rexdale, Yorkwoods, etc.) just like there is nothing in NE Toronto (Malvern, Agincort). Both need to be built out with modern rapid transit. Each of the Sheppard East LRT and Finch West LRT were supposed to address these voids.

So much of Toronto needs to be built out with new transit lines that it would be nice if everyone agreed to just keep building, instead of slowing the process down. Finch West, great! Sheppard East great! Bloor-Danforth extension or Eglinton-Scarborough LRT, whatever, great. Just keep building and never stop!!

There was a time when politicians tried to lead us to believe there could only be one line in a generation (Hi Mel Lastman, Mike Harris and company, Sheppard Subway) but the truth is if we want Toronto to remain an immigration destination AND function as a big city we have to build and learn to build faster and cheaper.

I agree with this so much...but you have to give the people what they want, and if that is subways so be it. People should always realize their consequences; if Etobicoke, North York and Scarborough vote PC they will get nothing and that's all they deserve.

Miller was decades after it started. Hard to find a more political decision than original Eglinton/Sheppard subway combination actually.

In fairness the city was much smaller back then and density was not much as a concern. Plus the suburban town centers were supposed to be relevant.

Sure, but it's hard to argue that a BRT being upgraded to subway because it happened to run through the riding of York South (the then Premier's riding) was not a political manoeuvre. I have no doubt we can find prior examples of this too; hell, how about the creation of what we now know as TTC gauge?

To claim that Miller invested political transit planning is stretching things a bit.

Sure, but it's hard to argue that a BRT being upgraded to subway because it happened to run through the riding of York South (the then Premier's riding) was not a political manoeuvre. I have no doubt we can find prior examples of this too; hell, how about the creation of what we now know as TTC gauge?

To claim that Miller invested political transit planning is stretching things a bit.
If this was 1988 then London Centre was the premier's riding, not York South. Rae didn't become premier until 1990. Never the less I agree. Miller was inept but that was not political.

Back