News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.6K     10 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

It's his perogative, and any new spending still have to go through parliament as part of the budget process. One may not like it, but the leadership of the party has every right to determine what their party policy is vis-a-vis free votes. If one's conscience bothers them, they have every right to vote against and suffer the consequences, as previous ex-Liberal MPs did.

add to that any MP has the right to, you know, walk across the floor and join the opposition if their conscience is so bothered by the spending of the government.

I am, honestly, not sure on how I feel about our government spending a decent amount of cash on this internationally but it never dawned on me to question the government's right to do it.

Governments get to spend as they see fit....with the job performance review coming at election time.....seems a pretty good system of checks and balances to me.

^I think it is brilliant.....I have my issues with our current Prime Minister but I try to be (and think I am) a credit where credit is due. The media may play up the Ivanka Trump angle but what we have is a Canadian Prime Minister supporting a successful Canadian product in a very visible industry. Blocking off a bunch of tickets and inviting the White House, other US officials and (at least one) former Prime Minister to celebrate this successful Canadian product is all win for me. (I do hope that other former Canadian Prime Ministers were also invited and just not able to attend...but that is just sweating the details).....for the king of photo ops...this is a very useful and valuable one.....well done Justin!

^I think it is brilliant.....I have my issues with our current Prime Minister but I try to be (and think I am) a credit where credit is due. The media may play up the Ivanka Trump angle but what we have is a Canadian Prime Minister supporting a successful Canadian product in a very visible industry. Blocking off a bunch of tickets and inviting the White House, other US officials and (at least one) former Prime Minister to celebrate this successful Canadian product is all win for me. (I do hope that other former Canadian Prime Ministers were also invited and just not able to attend...but that is just sweating the details).....for the king of photo ops...this is a very useful and valuable one.....well done Justin!

I think Chretien was specifically invited because he was PM at the time of the actual events retold in the show.

I know some people want Trudeau to denounce Trump, but I am glad that he he is being diplomatic with the current administration.

Aaron Wherry‏Verified account@AaronWherry
It is all the more amazing that Mr. Trudeau got in and out of the White House without incident.

The opposite of what happened with Trump and Merkel today.

Last edited:
I was in a meeting, and was told Trump is now claiming that Obama spied on him via British intelligence, and at the press conference with Merkel started going on about how he had nothing to retract in terms of his silly accusations against Obama. I suspect the British government is not happy with this turn of events.

ETA: Yep, he is now saying the British spied on him for Obama. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

ETA2: I see on Twitter that Trump refused to shake Merkel's hand - wait, what? really? What the f*ck is the matter with him? It pains me to see Trudeau working with the Trumps, but honestly, it's the right strategy.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting whether deficits are good or bad.

• In the 1970's, deficits were good when brought in by Trudeau.
  • In the 1980's, it was bad when Mulroney tried to eliminate deficit.
  • In the early 1990's, it was bad that Mulroney did not eliminate deficit, but at the same time bad when Manning propose to eliminate it.
  • In the mid 1990's, It was good that Chretien eliminated the deficit.
  • In mid 2000's, it was bad that Harper kept no deficit while lowering taxes.
  • In 2008, it was bad that Harper brought in deficit to battle recession and help Canada escape with the best GDP growth, best job growth, and lowest debt increase in G7.
  • It was then bad that Harper eliminated the deficit again.
  • It was then good when Trudeau promised a modest $10B deficit with return to balance in 4 years.
  • It was then good when Trudeau forecast $30B deficit with no return to balance.
Should we just wait to see what the Liberals do and then praise them.

All I have to say about the above post is that fanatical devotion to one party is dumb. Hyping up the CPC no matter what they do...

Back