News   Apr 23, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 925     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 499     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I'm delighted with the announcement about the support for reproductive rights. This is a concrete step that will improve and save lives. Well done.

Trump's plan is working beautifully. Finally some other countries are stepping up on their international commitments so the US can save a few bucks.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...was-editor-of-nazi-newspaper/article34236881/

Shouldn't Freeland apologize for her grandfather's sins (and pay some reparations), the same way modern day Canadians are asked to apologize for things that happened in Canada before we were born? :rolleyes:

Because an individual, three generations removed from someone with no war criminal status or even evidence of clear personal wrongdoing is the same thing as the state/government with clear legal responsibility for actions taken under its' authority? :rolleyes:

Are we *really* having to swoop to this level of discourse to score points when it is a route that even most mainstream Conservatives have pointedly rejected, to say the least because we already knew who is behind this recent revelation?

AoD

Last edited:
Because an individual, three generations removed from someone with no war criminal status or even evidence of clear personal wrongdoing is the same thing as the state/government with clear legal responsibility for actions taken under its' authority? :rolleyes:

Are we *really* having to swoop to this level of discourse to score points when it is a route that even most mainstream Conservatives have pointedly rejected, to say the least because we already knew who is behind this recent revelation?

AoD

Well said.

AoD

I agree 100%. I think it's ridiculous to hold people to account for the sins of their relatives, countrymen, etc. That's why I think it's a joke that Canadians are asked to pay for things that happened before we were even alive and had no involvement in.

Yeah, because Trump's actions were all about saving a few bucks...

That was a major part of his campaign. He's sick of countries freeloading while the USA does the heavy lifting (i.e. NATO). By reducing American commitments, he's forced other nations to pick-up the slack, just as he said.

I agree 100%. I think it's ridiculous to hold people to account for the sins of their relatives, countrymen, etc. That's why I think it's a joke that Canadians are asked to pay for things that happened before we were even alive and had no involvement in.

Did you miss the bit about individual vs. state responsibility? In any event, I thought you said you will withdraw from the political discourse here.

AoD

That was a major part of his campaign. He's sick of countries freeloading while the USA does the heavy lifting (i.e. NATO). By reducing American commitments, he's forced other nations to pick-up the slack, just as he said.

We are all well aware of the new.s. But that's simply naive to think that's the motivation behind his actions on reproductive rights.

Liberals’ drive to privatize Canadian airports lifts off
Airports, including Pearson, are now run by not-for-profit airport authorities. But airlines, airport operators and some municipalities are warning any sell-off will drive up costs, and those will get passed on.

[...]

The potential benefit for Ottawa is huge. One study done by the Vancouver airport authority estimated that the federal government could reap between $8.7 billion and $40.1 billion by selling off the country’s eight largest airports, including Toronto’s Pearson International Airport.

[...]

Opinions are divided in the aviation sector. Some organizations, like the Greater Toronto Airports Authority, which operates Pearson airport, have taken a wait-and-see attitude while cautioning that any change to ownership requires careful consideration.

But others aren’t sold on the idea. Vancouver airport has teamed with those in Ottawa and Calgary on a public information campaign to oppose privatization.

“We think it’s a bad idea,” Craig Richmond, the chief executive officer of the Vancouver Airport Authority, told the Star.

“This idea of a one-time payment, that’s like selling the family jewels and then regretting it forever,” he said in an interview.

The Vancouver authority laid out its objections to Transport Canada, including the submission of a detailed 52-page analysis of privatization and its impact on costs.

It estimates that the federal government would reap between $2.9 billion and $6.2 billion from the sale of Vancouver airport alone.

But the authority concludes that privatization would add “hundreds of millions of extra costs” that would have to be recovered through cost-cutting, increased fees and reduced investment in airport infrastructure.

“It would be too costly for a for-profit buyer to acquire an airport such as YVR without reducing services and passing these costs on to airport users through higher fees and charges,” the report states.

[...]

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...to-privatize-canadian-airports-lifts-off.html

Liberals are excellent at privatizing public assets to their buddies for a short-term financial gain. The Ontario Libs sell hydro to try to disguise the fiscal mess they've left and take the overpaid staff off the sunshine list. Now the Feds are trying to do the same with airports. I guess budgets don't balance themselves after all.

Unfortunately little movement in the numbers in Ontario- gains largely in the West.

By province, British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba added jobs, while there were fewer people working in Nova Scotia and in Newfoundland and Labrador.

"Employment was essentially unchanged in the other five provinces," Statistics Canada said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/statscan-jobs-february-1.4019031

Is this our Europe moment?
Haitian migrants hope to make it to Canada, as Toronto seeks help to deal with refugee influx
Nearly 900 refugees rely on city homeless shelters every night

Hundreds of Haitian migrants who travelled to Tijuana, Mexico hoping to cross the U.S. border and be granted asylum say they're now setting their sights on Canada.

Radio-Canada went to the border city to speak with dozens of migrants, who have the support of several groups that want to bring them to Toronto. However, this city is already feeling the pressure of an influx of would-be refugees in its shelter system.

Rony Desir, the coordinator of the Haiti House of Greater Toronto, said he's counting on Canadian kindness to get the asylum seekers into the country.

"We know all of our citizens in Canada have a big heart," he said.

Desir has helped launch a petition that calls on the federal government to allow more migrants into the country on humanitarian grounds.

Humanitarian groups estimate there are between 5,000 and 13,000 Haitians in Mexico, many who are in Tijuana.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/haitian-migrants-canada-1.4018371

How long will we be supporting these migrants for? Will we be able to effectively send failed applicants home (or will they disappear as undocumented migrants a la Europe and its failed deportation policies)?
Canada’s refugee resettlement numbers are far more generous than the targets set by the United States. There’s nothing new about that, but there’s no practical difference between Canadian and American security controls and eligibility criteria. Once in Canada, northbound asylum-seekers are processed by the RCMP and the Canadian Border Security Agency then referred to the Immigration and Refugee Board—which is already fumbling through a backlog of 19,000 applications.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/this-is-canadas-real-refugee-problem/

Last edited:

Back