News   Apr 22, 2024
 806     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 271     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 683     0 

Original Vitrolite station tiles

I fear to ask how Torontonians pronounce Gloucester (which is supposed to have 2 syllables).

People from Ottawa are generally pretty good with it, since one of the former municipalities within Ottawa-Carleton was Gloucester, which encompassed much of the east end of the city (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucester,_Ontario). I don't think I've ever heard a native Ottawan pronounce it any other way than with 2 syllables.

Coming from England with most of my family near Worcester (2 syllables) and Gloucester - I've heard some horrid pronunciations here over the years ... particularly for Worcestershire (which has no hard c or ch sound in it)

What about Gloucester in the Yonge/Church area?
North of Bloor? I think you thinking of the street north of Wellesley.

Gloucester is easy to remember. From the children's nursery rhyme. "Doctor Foster went to Gloucester, in a shower of rain; He stepped in a puddle, right up to his middle, and never went there again!"

Foster and Gloucester rhyme.

You could have one panel with tiles in good condition properly framed to clean up the edges where the new tiles are and then just leave it as is. I wouldn't leave them all exposed, most of them have a lot of damage and glass shards from the vitrolite are very sharp. I noticed that at King where they were repairing the Commerce Court exit framing, you could see the edges of the vitrolite tiles on the sides of the exit. I tried to loosen a fragment, but it all came out in sharp pointy pieces.

I think you're right, it would be more practical to pick the best large block and preserve that behind glass. The preserved tiles don't need to be perfect, just clean before covering up and framing.

The TTC has removed the ugly slat wall finishings at Osgooode. The original tiling can now be seen. It looked great and intact from the glimpse of it I got on the train.

The TTC has removed the ugly slat wall finishings at Osgooode. The original tiling can now be seen. It looked great and intact from the glimpse of it I got on the train.

Actually, I never much minded the 70s Osgoode/St Andrew makeovers--or at least, they feel less leisure-suit embarrassing than the upper Yonge line stations, or the "in-house" Spadina stations (St. Clair West, Wilson).

But to me, the worst of the 1954-line redos was the well-meaning-but-disastrous last of them: the late 90s re-tiling of Queen with its laughably hideous non-subway font (and yet, the Vitrolite name-ribbon remains, as well as other intact patches at the north end)

Here's the original tiling. Intact, as far as I can see

R8wI7Yx.jpg

The TTC is replacing it with this:

IcOzag2.jpg

Actually, I never much minded the 70s Osgoode/St Andrew makeovers--or at least, they feel less leisure-suit embarrassing than the upper Yonge line stations, or the "in-house" Spadina stations (St. Clair West, Wilson).

But to me, the worst of the 1954-line redos was the well-meaning-but-disastrous last of them: the late 90s re-tiling of Queen with its laughably hideous non-subway font (and yet, the Vitrolite name-ribbon remains, as well as other intact patches at the north end)

Why would they do that? Were the original tiles broken like at College?

Back