News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 404     0 

Original Vitrolite station tiles

mgl

Member Bio
Reaction score
Run, don't walk, to College station to see the original Vitrolite tiles exposed during construction of new ad frames. I cleaned the decades of grime off a couple today on the southbound platform and they are gorgeous.

I'd rather have these tiles in all of their cracked and broken glory than the seventies fireplace tile we have today.

The stations must have looked like the future when they opened.

I think Wellesley's tiles were visible a couple of weeks ago but there is more to see at College due to the size of the ad frames.

[edit: added photo]
CUQva_JWUAAnYsm.jpg

Wow! Times like these are rare indeed... isn't Eglinton the only station that showcases these now? Or is that not really Vitrolite?

Run, don't walk, to College station to see the original Vitrolite tiles exposed during construction of new ad frames. I cleaned the decades of grime off a couple today on the southbound platform and they are gorgeous.

I'd rather have these tiles in all of their cracked and broken glory than the seventies fireplace tile we have today.

The stations must have looked like the future when they opened.

I think Wellesley's tiles were visible a couple of weeks ago but there is more to see at College due to the size of the ad frames.

[edit: added photo]
CUQva_JWUAAnYsm.jpg

I guess they're not going to stay exposed, eh?

[

You too eh? I cleaned off one of the smaller sections on the northbound side. They still gleam like new, except where they're fractured. I mentioned to an older gentleman standing nearby that those were the original tiles and he actually remembered the station being all green-blue (I forget the exact name of the colour) after I brought it to his attention. He started the conversation with "You've got a long way to go to get them all clean!"

Wellesley was stripped to bare concrete when it was redone, but watch out for vitrolite when they do Dundas.

Run, don't walk, to College station to see the original Vitrolite tiles exposed during construction of new ad frames

Wellesley station is also having tiles removed for the same reason. No vitrolite tiles though :(.

22762730247_5ef64c34fd_c.jpg

You too eh? I cleaned off one of the smaller sections on the northbound side. They still gleam like new, except where they're fractured. I mentioned to an older gentleman standing nearby that those were the original tiles and he actually remembered the station being all green-blue (I forget the exact name of the colour) after I brought it to his attention. He started the conversation with "You've got a long way to go to get them all clean
Cyan, teal, or turquoise?

Saw the old tiles at College today, had a flashback to the old days, and thought,

How did the Seventies get so many things so wrong ???

- Paul

Saw the old tiles at College today, had a flashback to the old days, and thought,

How did the Seventies get so many things so wrong ???

Yes, the 70s were a bad time for aesthetics and decor. But I actually really like College's existing tiles. Very warm feeling, and imo it's our most 'cozy' station.

Yes, the 70s were a bad time for aesthetics and decor. But I actually really like College's existing tiles. Very warm feeling, and imo it's our most 'cozy' station.

Agreed, College is probably the best looking of the 'retiled' stations. Dundas' colour on the other hand matches quite well what many of its late night patrons regurgitate.

Back