News   Apr 17, 2024
 952     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 320     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Original Vitrolite station tiles

I'd like to thank the original poster for the tip. I completely geeked-out and detoured from my usual York Mills Stn to check out College on Sunday.

On the point about Vitrolite. It may not have existed at the time, but we've made some advances in glass/porcelain strength over the years. NE of Peterborough is one of the world's largest nepheline syenite deposits and a mine which is very much active in extracting it. Not all that sure how, but I guess the stuff is used by industries to strengthen their glass products. Had it been incorporated into Vitriolite at the time, perhaps we'd still those tiles in our stations.

I too was wondering about the advances in glass wall durability since 1954. For example, when First Canadian Place was reclad recently, the original marble façade was replaced by a glass one.

I too was wondering about the advances in glass wall durability since 1954. For example, when First Canadian Place was reclad recently, the original marble façade was replaced by a glass one.
Not exactly the same. The FCP recladding removed the marble and added a curtain-wall, ie. glass units structurally bonded to aluminium extrusions. Vitrolite was applied like a veneer.

Someone already wrote "Love" - I added the "Vitrolite" below.

How the TTC lost and found its subway style
"Until the billboards came down at College station, the dusty but otherwise intact tile had been hidden from public view for more than 30 years. The reemergence attracted a significant amount of attention on social media—someone even wrote “love vitrolite” in the dust."

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2015/11/25/ttc-subway-style/

Maybe we should get the College tiles declared a heritage property and encase them, in their current state (albeit fully cleaned) behind some glass so that we can enjoy them for years to come. An exhibit of what the TTC once was and could be again. I'd contribute to a kickstarter for this.

Ironically, several original Yonge line stations were listed in the 80s/90s, and that was either in spite of or didn't prevent their re-tiling. (In Summerhill's case, I guess all that was good for was for retaining the TTC font at a time when it was taken for granted)

Maybe we should get the College tiles declared a heritage property and encase them, in their current state (albeit fully cleaned) behind some glass so that we can enjoy them for years to come. An exhibit of what the TTC once was and could be again. I'd contribute to a kickstarter for this.

You could have one panel with tiles in good condition properly framed to clean up the edges where the new tiles are and then just leave it as is. I wouldn't leave them all exposed, most of them have a lot of damage and glass shards from the vitrolite are very sharp. I noticed that at King where they were repairing the Commerce Court exit framing, you could see the edges of the vitrolite tiles on the sides of the exit. I tried to loosen a fragment, but it all came out in sharp pointy pieces.

Ironically, several original Yonge line stations were listed in the 80s/90s, and that was either in spite of or didn't prevent their re-tiling. (In Summerhill's case, I guess all that was good for was for retaining the TTC font at a time when it was taken for granted)

Heritage legislation is slanted towards preserving the exterior of a structure and the space/sightlines associated with it. Interior mods that ensure the usability of the structure (not necessarily the original use, just keeping it occupied and maintained as opposed to sitting empty) are generally encouraged.

I don't know what the heritage plan for the subway structures states, but unless the vitrolite were specifically mentioned, there would be no legal requirement to preserve it.

- Paul

Heritage legislation is slanted towards preserving the exterior of a structure and the space/sightlines associated with it. Interior mods that ensure the usability of the structure (not necessarily the original use, just keeping it occupied and maintained as opposed to sitting empty) are generally encouraged.

Yet Summerhill's exterior was muddled beyond recognition with some heavy-handed blah angled-80s-glasshouse thing. (IIRC the reason for its listing was because it had the supposed most integrity of the original stations at the time--probably assisted by how it was the most historically underused. IIRC it also had the most pronounced "Gloucester car odour" of all the original stations.)

Oh man, if they could bottle that.......

- Paul

It was the perfect passing-of-the-baton when around or not long after the time the Gloucester cars were phased out, the Eglinton Station Cinnabon was opened.

Out of curiosity, what would the cost be to refit one of the original Yonge stations with vitrolite or an equivalent? It would be cool to see how much of an interest there would be in the general public for a refit like that once they get a chance to see what it would actually look like.

Back