News   May 03, 2024
 754     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 489     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 246     0 

Ontario and Manitoba flags

And I'll assume that Ontario's maintaining the Ensign was a statement of purpose by the provincial Tories. (Interesting how the triple-maple never took hold as an icon the way the trillium did--maybe because it's a little ugly and schmaltzy.)

And I'll assume that Ontario's maintaining the Ensign was a statement of purpose by the provincial Tories. (Interesting how the triple-maple never took hold as an icon the way the trillium did--maybe because it's a little ugly and schmaltzy.)

That's exactly what it was - a "revenge" flag forced upon Ontario in 1965 by the provincial conservatives as an outraged reaction over the adoption of the maple leaf as Canada's new national flag. It's time for Ontario to get a real flag.

Manitoba too of course, but I don't give a s*** about that province.

Last edited by a moderator:
The British adopted the present design in 1801 - ten years after John Graves Simcoe became the first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada.

The flag commonly (and erroneously) known as the Union Jack remains by law a flag of Canada. When used in Canada (unless where representing the UK when it is simply called the "Union Flag") it is called the "Royal Union Flag." Its purpose is to "show allegiance to the crown and as a symbol of Canadian membership in the Commonwealth." By law it is to be flown from Federal Government buildings, airports, and military establishments alongside the Canadian flag on Victoria Day, the anniversary of the Statute of Westminister, and Commonwealth Day. These measures were adopted when the current Canadian flag was made official.

Personally, I feel the current flag of Ontario is outdated. Most people probably wouldn't even be able to identify it. Many in this thread have advocated for a flag using red, white, and blue. I have to disagree with this. While the three colours may represent our British heritage, they also represent many many other countries/regions, especially in the North American colonial context. The United States, France, and most Slavic countries use these three colours - they're hardly unique. Ontario's colours are green and white, and I feel those should be used in any new flag.

The trillium is an obvious choice for a symbol on the flag. It is already used in the Franco-Ontarien flag. It might also be interesting to use a symbol taken from one of the petroglyphs at Petroglyphs Provincial Park.

I have no problem with the current flag, and even more importantly, McGuinty's *first* priority should be to restore this:

to-ontario-logos.jpg

Incidentally, I really hope no one from his office notices that the new GO locomotives have the old logo on them, and so in one small way, it will live on.

PremEvent-NewGOLoco-Jan08-2.jpg

I would argue that almost everyone under 50 (and probably most over) has never even seen that wonderful design, much less know the history of it.

well, i can tell you that the blue lines are meant to represent the atlantic and pacific oceans, and that the triple maple leaf came from our previously used flag, the red or even the blue ensign that was manly used, with red triple maple leafs with a gold streak in the middle were used. This was done because many people had a major attachment to the ensign, it was later changed to a single leaf to show less ties with Britain. I am 15, and it is a major part of the Grade 10 history curriculum

^^ Is it now? Mine seemed to have skipped over that.

I think that a more modern version of that flag could be kind of cool. Blue bars on the sides, with white stripes on the top and bottom representing the icy arctic and our peaceful relations with the US... with a maple leaf somewhere in the middle. However, I won't complain about this current one. It always seems to stand out to me, with the striking contrasts between the white and red drawing your attention.

A real flag for Ontario would be quite welcome to me. All of the other provincial/territorial flags have something unique about them that speaks to their home province. Ontario and Manitoba are devoid of that, which is a shame if you ask me. Something with the Trillium would be almost mandatory.

Back