News   Apr 24, 2024
 840     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 550     0 

Ontario and Manitoba flags

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
There was an interesting article in yesterday's Globe about the NDP government (which is quite centrist in an Ontario Liberal sort of way, not like the federal NDP) considering replacing the current Manitoba flag. Something many didn't know is that Ontario and Manitoba never really had provincial flags until 1965, when the old Red Ensign was replaced by the current Canadian flag. The Tory governments decided, in opposition to Pearson, to adopt the Red Ensign for their provincial flags. That is why they look very similar.

I don't hate the Red Ensign provincial flags at all, but they were reactionary and not that symbolic. Sometimes, a great new flag is developed. Newfoundland and Labrador has a great flag based on the Union Jack but timeless and distinctive. I do, however, fear a flag of compromise (Georgia is a perfect example of what not to do), and the Liberals have a bad track record with the three-guys-in-a-hot-tub new Ontario logo.

But to MB and ON deserve or even consider new flags?

Can't speak for MB, but I'd like to see Ontario get a new flag. The ensign, though historical, is somewhat dated in my opinion.

I agree, Newfoundland and Labrador have a great flag. If one is going to have both an historical reference and contemporary identity combined, this is a great example.

I'm also very partial to the flag of Nunavut; it's very striking.

As a kid, I always loved the flag of Saskatchewan. I found the colours very appealing.

I have been to 21 states and DC. I found states with distinctive, interesting flags, like Arizona, California, and Maryland you will see flying all over. In Baltimore and Phoenix, the state flags are at times almost as common as the US flag. In both states, the flag is used as a symbol or logo for other organizations - private businesses use the sunset flag in logos in Phoenix , the buses in Baltimore proudly fly the Calvert/Crossland heraldic colours. I'm sure the same can be said for Texas.

(I love a good discussion on vexillology)

Saskatchewan at least has decent symbolism if it still includes the shield. Yellow for the prairie, green for the parkland/northern forests. They are recognizable provincial colours.

Alberta is the worst in Canada, if only it's the same as 25 US states with a crest on a blue background, like New York, or Pennsylvania, or Virginia. You typically see only these flags flying in front of institutions and are not recognizable.

The Trillium is a great local and easy to recognize symbol (and I really liked the pre-McCheesy provincial logo). I'd like to see a non-logoized flower as one idea for a new ON flag if we ever decide to go that route. Manitoba does have the Bison - play that up more?

Last edited:
I have been saying Ontario should get a new flag for a decade now - so in my opinion it is about time. The one provincial flag that is really "up to par" in my opinion, is the Quebec flag.

Flags of Canadian Provinces and the US States...

ST and everyone: I recognize both flags of Ontario and Manitoba and perhaps a new design could satistfy some-a well-designed flag is always memorable to many people including me.

I agree with the mention of Maryland-one of the more colorful state flags with the two crests. Maryland MTA in the Baltimore area indeed uses it as part of its logo-a good move for them.

One of the most interesting US State flags is Ohio's with its distinctive shape-the "Burgee" or pennant as I sometime call it. That flag does stand out somewhat.

I like the 1965 Canadian flag design with the Maple Leaf and red bars-I remember it was designed in the 60s-I originally thought it was introduced in 1967 for Canada's 100th anniversary.

The old red ensign with Canada's Coat of arms was neat also-I remember learning about the text on it meaning "From Sea to Sea" in Latin I believe.

In closing I will say a distinctive flag design to me is always good! LI MIKE

The Political Science Major in me says this is just a bunch of banal nationalism that we should avoid. But, really I see no problems with it. I think the problem is that Ontarians don't really have a sense of regionalism. I think we think of ourselves as Canadians first and foremost (mostly because of our role in Canadian history), so the general public might not give a damn.

You might find it banal, but I don't see anything necessarily wrong with a discussion of visual symbols such as flags. I mean, if one is going to oppose flags on the basis of concerns over regionalism, then maybe we should just give up regional names (and the regions themselves).

It's all easier said than done.

I love the idea of a new flag. I like the idea of a trillium but I think it should be stylized somewhat. The stylized lilly of royal France and Quebec is so iconic and works so well. In the British 'world' they love their lions, so maybe a lion with a trillium? Then again, less is usually always more in these things. I wonder if there is any native iconography that would work too?

no I know. I meant that the academic side and the personal side of my thought process were somewhat conflictual.

I also didn't say that regionalism didn't exist. I suggested that Ontario as a region doesn't have an identity in the same way other provinces do. There's a lot of really good academic literature on this. Because of Ontario's history as the industrial and economic centre of Canada, most Ontarians always saw themselves as Canadians first and have traditionally been more concerned with national issues. I think within Ontario there are regional bonds and differences, but a person from Ontario doesn't necessarily have an inextricable bond with another Ontarian simply because they're both from Ontario. Case in point, if someone tells me they're from Niagara, I automatically feel like I know them better and that we have a report. If someone is from Ottawa I look at them in the same way I would someone from Saskatchewan or Nova Scotia. Whereas, people from Saskatchewan seem to have an automatic report with their fellow Saskatchewan folk.

So what I'm getting at is that people in Ontario probably don't care an ounce about their flag. Many probably wouldn't be able to point it out or tell you what it looks like. That's entirely because people from Ontario are Canadians first, then Torontonians or Ottawans or Windsorites, etc second, then Ontarians maybe third or even further down the line.

This isn't my own personal argument, though I believe in it. As i said there's a lot of literature on this issue.

Why is the Red Ensign "dated"? I don't see how it "excludes" newer Canadians who are either from former colonies or countries which have no connections to Britain. When they come, they KNOW (or, at least are supposed to know) they're coming to a historically Anglo jurisdiction, and should expect that to be part of the culture. You don't see Hong Kong parents complain about colonialism/British tradition when they send their children to older private schools, do you? In fact, many send their kids to these schools because it reminds them of the colonial school system in Hong Kong.

British Columbia:
800px-Flag_of_British_Columbia.svg.png

Alberta:
800px-Flag_of_Alberta.svg.png

Saskatchewan:
800px-Flag_of_Saskatchewan.svg.png

Manitoba:
800px-Flag_of_Manitoba.svg.png

Ontario:
800px-Flag_of_Ontario.svg.png

Québec:
600px-Flag_of_Quebec.svg.png

New Brunswick:
800px-Flag_of_New_Brunswick.svg.png

Prince Edward Island:
800px-Flag_of_Prince_Edward_Island.svg.png

Nova Scotia:
800px-Flag_of_Nova_Scotia.svg.png

Newfoundland and Labrador:
800px-Flag_of_Newfoundland_and_Labrador.svg.png

Northwest Territories:
800px-Flag_of_the_Northwest_Territories.svg.png

Yukon:
800px-Flag_of_Yukon.svg.png

Nunavut:
800px-Flag_of_Nunavut.svg.png

I don't think P.E.I.'s big grown up tree should be allowed to flash his acorns at the younger trees like that.

Still, at least their lion paints his toenails.

You'd think lions were native to Canada or something.

Lol! So true!

For some reason Alberta's flag reminds me of the wrapping around a cheese product. And while Ontario's flag is snooze-inducing, B.C.'s looks like the king is coming to burn you.

I don't think P.E.I.'s big grown up tree should be allowed to flash his acorns at the younger trees like that.

here's one that's a bit more family oriented. ;)

o7nho3.gif

Back