News   May 08, 2024
 995     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.7K     3 

Monster home, townhouses in Brampton, neighbours not amused

Absolutely. It's designed from the get-go to favour sprawl and personal autonomous motorized transport. Mass transit, as we've seen in Mississauga, often amounts to a late afterthought. Now Mississaga is slowly moving in the right direction. Still, finding the political will among the citizenry to pay for a comprehensive expanded transit infrastructure is a huge challenge, GTA-wide.

Is there any precedent of filling in a tighter street grid into existing suburbs?

Don't know. We know in Toronto that if a tract of housing is allowed to become derelict enough, it will eventually be knocked down, with a condo tower or at least a mid-rise condo complex put in its place. But a tighter street grid? I don't know how you'd manage that. The legal issues facing the city would be crazy - the real estate being owned by so many different parties. Short of wholesale expropriation (very expensive), I don't see it happening.

I'd have to disagree on that. most residential streets in nice neighbourhoods with good canopy have a tree spacing of about eleven paces. A friend of mine bought a house up in Aurora on Woodroof Cresecent, where all the houses were built in 2000. the way they planted the trees, which was densely, made it so that now, only 13 years later, it looks amazing, and the branches will be touching over the street in less than 10 yrs.

You're right, it does look nice there, and the trees well spaced, but this area doesn't look like that. This area of Mississauga is only about 20 years old, and it almost looks like a literal forest, not neighborhood street tree planting. Just imagine what it will look like in another 20! Streetscapes shouldn't look like the backcountry of Algonquin:

trees1.jpg

And here is the site of a former gravel pit being developed. The pit had a row of wild trees between it and the road. Instead of removing them and then planting new ones after the development is complete, the city or developer decided to keep the scrubby trees and weedy undergrowth. This isn't esthetic at all--it's a mess, and the built environment will look unkempt, the future sidewalk will have ugly bends around the tree line, and the two sides of the road will look totally out of sync with each other:

trees4.jpg

This overplanting/naturalization trend is especially prominent in parks. A preserved woodlot in a subdivision is nice, but wild weeds and undergrowth shouldn't come close to the sidewalk, as it does here. It would look better manicured:

trees2.jpg

Attachments

• trees1.jpg
    trees1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 469
  • trees2.jpg
    trees2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 485
  • trees4.jpg
    trees4.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 463
Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any precedent of filling in a tighter street grid into existing suburbs?
There are a couple instances in SE Oakville where estate sized lots were turned into little culs-de-sac subdivisions. Lakeview, Highland Park and Richvale/Yongehurst looks like they might have had the same happen, but I'm not aware of any examples of actually subdividing a city block with midblock through streets (as opposed to crescents and culs-de-sacs).

The naturalization of our urban and suburban areas is very important, and it is completely possible to do it in a way that is also aesthetically friendly.

The Music Garden is, for me, the best example of this. It's breathtaking how great habitat for wildlife AND for people was designed there. Ideally wild areas in urban environments would have 'entrances' that do them justice.

734387_10152526510175722_1010717115_n.jpg

Transportfan it looks like the trees in the first picture will do a good job of keeping the noise and dust of that busy thoroughfare (and I'm guessing the speed limit is between 60 and 80?) at bay. Does anyone want a home looking out onto nothing but bumper-to-bumper traffic in rush hour and 18 wheelers heading to the nearest big box centre the rest of the time?

I had asked the City of Toronto for a free oak tree on the boulevard, ended up with a free dwarf maple. By dwarf, they mean very slow growing.
Ever occur to you to buy and plant your choice of tree?

People in existing suburbs like the status quo, that's why they live there. Why would you even suggest such a thing?
Oh, while I have your attention, I love the non manicured approach to many streetscapes in the suburbs.

Well, remember, too, it depends on *what kind of* existing suburbs--that is, the highly-"thought out" Don Mills-ian sort is pretty inflexible. However, the earlier ad hoc/unplanned exurban type holds tighter/intersticial-grid potential, like a lot of what lines Yonge in Willowdale/Newtonbrook, or in remote nodes like Highland Creek Village, or, for that matter, a place like Windsor where the core French-settlement rang model of development has been prone to a lot of twisting and turning and fleshing-out over time...

Transportfan it looks like the trees in the first picture will do a good job of keeping the noise and dust of that busy thoroughfare (and I'm guessing the speed limit is between 60 and 80?) at bay. Does anyone want a home looking out onto nothing but bumper-to-bumper traffic in rush hour and 18 wheelers heading to the nearest big box centre the rest of the time?

The street in he picture is Creditview in Missy. which doesn't have high truck traffic on it. Even for streets that do (which are quite rare as most heavy truck routes run through industrial areas, Highway 7 being one exception) a hedge would work quite well. Also, if the traffic bothers you, don't buy a home on the fronting section of side streets. Remember, they used to build houses with driveways directly on main thoroughfares, sometimes with industrial buildings on the other side of them.

Ever occur to you to buy and plant your choice of tree?
Gee, that's a lot of bother...

Years ago I asked the city for a free tree for my yard in Cabbagetown. However the requirements were impossible to comply with, as they wanted a certain distance from fences, buildings, property line, overhead wires, etc. When you have 20ft wide lots, you just can't comply.

So, I bought my own tree, planted it where I wanted, and five years later it's looking quite nice. Yes, I trim it around the wires, but that's no bother.

Back