News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Monster home, townhouses in Brampton, neighbours not amused

Well, the gentleman didn't comply with regulation so regardless of where he is from (originally), he is building in a context that is regulation heavy and needs to comply.

Whether he was born in Brampton or elsewhere doesn't matter. If I moved somewhere else, built without regard for regulation, I would expect there to be consequences of some sort (and of varying levels of severity) but I surely won't think it racist... the anecdotes about other people are another matter.

I think we need to stick with the facts. Subjective views on whether this house "fits" the neighborhood or not does not have any merit. The homeowner can build whatever he wants on that plot of land provided he meets all the city ordinances and has all the required permits. Anything else is, IMO, unwarranted.

Neighbors will always complain about that minimalist home in Rosedale or that chateau-inspired mansion in Ledbury Park or that contemporary rebuild in Greektown or that industrial modernist property in the Annex. It's human nature to want a common theme or look in your neighborhood and individuals will always cite rationalizations like "my property value will go down" as reasons to prohibit anything different from being built. If it's all done legally within the by-laws, then let it be built.

But if you look at the essence of this story, the conflict at the heart of the story that makes it news worthy, there is clearly more at stake than a violation of city ordinance. The conflict could be gross violation of city ordinance but I don't think that is the whole story either.

I think this is ultimately what they're afraid of (and with good reason).

I knew a girl who lived in a house very much like this one when I worked at UTSC, and yes, they are little Rupert Hotels in the making.

I am sympathetic to the comments regarding racism, but honestly, any homeowner freaks when anything happens. There are stories of people in my neighbourhood building a deck without a permit and having complaints to the city - I even saw an article about it.

I am not from Toronto originally so I can't speak to the level of racism in general, but when a visible minority comes in and becomes almost 40% of the population with very little, if any, violence and great economic success, there frankly can't be much that is of any dire consequence. Compared to France where les banlieus are full of disenfranchised people, or the US with its massive ghettors, we know that - regardless of some underlying unease - we are at the forefront of modern ethnic integration.

If some people want to go further from the main suburbs, did you ever consider that when they grew up Italians and Portuguese were the Indians and many were racist against them? Was Brampton ever "white" European? Brampton now has over 400,000 people, maybe many people just want some more space and a more rural setting when they say they want to move further from the city, going away from a region that has exploded in the past 30 years - it doesn't have to be racism. Though it could be, I don't know.

Certainly in Vancouver where I am from there are always rumblings about the Chinese taking over - and the Punjabis - but it is mostly just, "can you believe I can't afford a house ..." and then the blaming of immigrants. Hell even CBCs (Canadian Born Chinese) complain about the same thing, or the Hongers who often denigrate the mainlanders who arrived a decade or more after them. Plus in Toronto I worked with many new immigrants in a very diverse work setting and I can say that unfortunately they were often racist against our Caribbean and African immigrants, often quite openly. So it isn't just the Euro crowd. At the end of the day, racism in many forms always exists, but most immigrants are flourishing in the GTA in a way that is quite unique, and I don't think we should get too ahead of ourselves by saying it is so terrible. I was just in India and Indonesia and I can tell you that ethnic conflict there is more about virtual war and occupation (ie east India/Papua, Muslim/Christian infighting, etc.) than the enforcing of a zoning issue when the person has quite obviously not followed the law (as I assume is the case here).

We really do have it quite good - and if this is about race at all and not NIMBYism as we see it all over Toronto, then shame. We can always do better. And when it comes to the regulations regarding living arrangements, it is certainly incumbent upon Canada to adapt to immigrant lifestyles where appropriate: if families want to live together in a safe environment and pool their resources, that is fantastic. Maybe we could learn a bit from that, too.

Last edited:
Guys, many of you are reading into this situation all kinds of imagined slights and pet prejudices that simply don't apply. It doesn't matter what colour his skin may be or his heritage or first language, he is building a home in contravention of established zoning statutes. The same statutes that prevent me or you from building a slaughterhouse on the same lot. If he tried the same gambit in Toronto his project would be dead in the water and so it should be.

It is often referred as such out of pure ignorance. The "nickname" comes from the ignorance of some looking at the number of brown skinned south asian people in town (which is a significant group but still under 40% of the population) and assuming that all brown skinned people are from the same place and throwing a "cute" nickname around it.

You have to admit that it's kind of funny (uncanny even) that the names of so many of these ethnic areas work so well to make nicknames: Asiancourt, Bramladesh (sort of), Singhdale (There was even an Indian video store with that name in Springdale, although they were forced to change it.), Whiteby, and Wopbridge.

So does this thing violate the zoning/building code or what? The fact that this thing hasn't been stopped yet by the building inspectors makes me suspect that it does infact comply with zoning. In the States, a stop order would be issued by the municipality and the structure would be ultimately demolished.

So does this thing violate the zoning/building code or what? The fact that this thing hasn't been stopped yet by the building inspectors makes me suspect that it does infact comply with zoning. In the States, a stop order would be issued by the municipality and the structure would be ultimately demolished.
A stop order has been issued.

According to the article, he submitted a new plan for a two storey house once the walls collapse. The photo clearly shows a 3.5 storey house.

There seems to be a loop hole that may needs to be addressed. I've noticed several recent so called renos that resulted in new homes being built after the supporting walls collapse during demolition in my neighbourhood alone

Now a developer wants to build small affordable homes and the Brampton neighbours are complaining the houses aren't large enough.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/03/15/brampton_townhouse_development_divides_community.html

It seems the issue is not that the town-homes are particularly small. In any other part of Canada they would be considered normal size. In Brampton however it apparently is normal for 2-3 families to occupy one house:

Townhomes is not our concept of buying property,†says Paramjit Singh Birdi, who lives a block from the site at Sandalwood Pkwy. and Bramalea Rd.
“Every house here has two or three families. The Punjabi community lives in joint families and no joint family can fit in a townhouse.â€

I can't get over the gall of these people. They are actually trying to block a housing development on the grounds that it does not meet the needs of the Punjabi community. The Punjabi Councillor pictured on the story who is opposing this project is essentially doing so on racist grounds. He is saying the developer must tailor the development to the peculiar lifestyle demands of his ethnic community. What about the needs of non-Punjabi home buyers? They don't count? :mad:

Back