News   Apr 30, 2024
 327     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

No I haven't but I have now; thank you very much Anna. It's a well put together writeup with some great images - it sums up the community's history well in 8 succinct pages. Hard to believe most of that area is now occupied by New City Hall/Nathan Philips Square. I only dimly remember it; but do remember visiting my dad when he worked at International Chop Suey House. It's nice to see that image again.

"Chinese" means so many things nowadays - it's a catchall term - it used to mean people from China of course, but today many "Chinese" may feel little affinity for their origins, and may in fact not speak a word of any kind of Chinese.

Now that the TPL has converted their Directories to PDF format, these individual GIF files may soon disappear, so best snag them now.

1856 (even numbers on south side):

tcd_1856-r-260.gif

tcd_1856-r-261.gif

tcd_1856-r-262.gif

1861 (even numbers on north side):

tcd_1861-r-57.gif

tcd_1861-r-58.gif

tcd_1861-r-59.gif

tcd_1861-r-60.gif

On the other hand, there are now decent-sized images of the 1858 Boulton Atlas:

atlas-r-165.jpg

None of the above are “photos,” of course, but are useful for putting images in context.

A perusal of the occupations listed is an enlightening thing; 1856 Toronto was wholly self sufficient in management, business and trades. "Stock brokers, mathematical instrument makers, plumbers, dentists and of course, 'widows'."

Wow! I'm amazed to see a more recent photo of that house on Danforth (I was related to the owners thru the marriage of my brother-in-law)
I have this very old photo of the house. Date unknown.
The home was the residence of the Drummond family.
Mr. Drummond owned a Coal & Fuel business on the opposite side of Danforth where Canadian Tire is now located.
The second of these attached photos was taken from the Drummond's side porch, looking west - Danforth can be see on the left and behind the horse & building is a RR siding that ran N/S across Danforth.

Drummondhouse.jpg

lookingwestfromDrummondhouse.jpg

DrummondFuel.jpg

DrummondnowCT.jpg

Goldie, I'm happy that you're amazed and now have a later picture of the Drummond House as a reference. :)

Then and Now for March 8.

Then. 155 College (at McCaul). c1917. "Board of Education Administration Building, Toronto."

438155Collegec1917.jpg

Now. September 2011.

439.jpg

Don't fret. The old building hasn't gone anywhere. It was jacked up and moved back and is rather queerly situated behind the modern building.

440.jpg

441.jpg

asc03427.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Anna! Wow I appreciate your response! I also found this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ong_Beere_&_Hime_panorama_of_Toronto_1856.JPG and want to turn it into a panorama

...rather it is a panorama! I want to turn it into something more interactive...an idea I got from a post on the site that led me to the above link :http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/01/the_1856_panorama_of_toronto/

Speaking of interactive, and 'then and now', my classmates are using 'what was where' (their site is still under construction) : http://microscope.hackinghistory.ca/?post_type=historical-images&p=225

Now that the TPL has converted their Directories to PDF format, these individual GIF files may soon disappear, so best snag them now.

1856 (even numbers on south side):

tcd_1856-r-260.gif

tcd_1856-r-261.gif

tcd_1856-r-262.gif

1861 (even numbers on north side):

tcd_1861-r-57.gif

tcd_1861-r-58.gif

tcd_1861-r-59.gif

tcd_1861-r-60.gif

On the other hand, there are now decent-sized images of the 1858 Boulton Atlas:

atlas-r-165.jpg

None of the above are “photos,†of course, but are useful for putting images in context.

TTThank YYYou wwwebster ! I did not realise you intended that as a response to King Street West (I am a little new to this). Wow, so great to find you on Urban Toronto. Your directories show me something interesting about 33-5 King Street West, the address of a livery stables belonging to a Mr. Mink, said to have been a black "millionaire" back in the 1850s. The 1846-7 and the 1850 city directories are useful (to me) because they mention people who were "coloured". Not consistently though. Mr. Mink is recorded as coloured in 1850 but not so in 1846-7....both are a good starting point in my trying to populate the part of Toronto I am researching. Yours tell me something was going on at or behind (if the stables were behind?) 33-35 King Street West by 1861-2. And yes, I love Boulton's Atlas :) ...I can access plates at the TPL site http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/ which is where I notice by your URL you got yours!

Attachments

• 31-33 King W c1877.jpg
    31-33 King W c1877.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 294
Goldie, I'm happy that you're amazed and now have a later picture of the Drummond House as a reference. :)

As a side topic to this, great old photos by the way Goldie, does any one have any links to old Canadian tire store pictures? I have a thing for them, this Danforth location was always a treat for me before they "upgraded" it. I loved the dark brick and ramped entrances. I also love the older stores that had the CTC logo in the terrazo!

No I haven't but I have now; thank you very much Anna. It's a well put together writeup with some great images - it sums up the community's history well in 8 succinct pages. Hard to believe most of that area is now occupied by New City Hall/Nathan Philips Square. I only dimly remember it; but do remember visiting my dad when he worked at International Chop Suey House. It's nice to see that image again.

"Chinese" means so many things nowadays - it's a catchall term - it used to mean people from China of course, but today many "Chinese" may feel little affinity for their origins, and may in fact not speak a word of any kind of Chinese.

There's a wonderful set of photos from 1946 on the Ontario Archives site of a Chinese theatrical troupe. One wonders where they came from, where they played, where they went.....

I0019770.jpg
I0019769.jpg

I0019767.jpg
I0019766.jpg

I0019765.jpg
I0019764.jpg

Also, two pics of a 1962 Chinese parade near Queen and Bay, pre-Nathan Phillips Square:

I0002948.jpg
I0002947.jpg

From the York University archives:

1963:

asc02757.jpg

asc02760.jpg

1970:

asc02797.jpg

asc02807.jpg

Last edited:
Then and Now for March 8.

Then. 155 College (at McCaul). c1917. "Board of Education Administration Building, Toronto."

438155Collegec1917.jpg

Now. September 2011.

439.jpg

Don't fret. The old building hasn't gone anywhere. It was jacked up and moved back and is rather queerly situated behind the modern building.

440.jpg

441.jpg

Ah, well that explains it. I must admit to some confusion upon seeing that structure tucked away all back there.

There's a wonderful set of photos from 1946 on the Ontario Archives site of a Chinese theatrical troupe. One wonders where they came from, where they played, where they went.....

I0019770.jpg
I0019769.jpg

I0019767.jpg
I0019766.jpg

I0019765.jpg
I0019764.jpg

Thank you thecharioteer!

'where they came from': probably Hong Kong. The community then was 100% Cantonese speaking; and a Mandarin speaking troupe might as well have been performing in German [an amazing mental picture that conjures up] :). China wasn't/still isn't a monoculture. The Mandarin (Northern Chinese) and Cantonese (Southern Chinese) languages are rather more than less mutually unintelligible. Interesting also that there are physical differences: Southern are shorter, smaller boned, Northerners are the opposite. It's as different as dark haired Gallic descended English and fair haired Scandanavian descended Scots.

'where they played'; 'where they went': only Toronto and Vancouver had Chinese communities big enough to fill a modest hall. I bet a dollar that the troupe performed in a 'family association' building located a few feet south of the NE corner of Dundas and Elizabeth - where the west wall of the Longos supermarket is now. Your pictures show framed photographs on the wall; this would have been the usual thing - pictures of the association officers and the politicians of the day back in China - Chiang Kai Shek, etc. I remember this hall - it survived up until about 1975, and was the go-to place for functions like this in the 1960s.

If any readers here have any 'exotic' family/ Toronto related memories, let's hear them!

Last edited:
Then and Now for March 9.

Then. 366 Adelaide W. c1920. A handsome commercial building. 'New Hobberlin Building'. I'm guessing the clothing manufacturer... see below.

442366AdelaideWestc1920.jpg

Now. September 2012. It's offices now. Hobberlins is long gone. We import our clothes for the most part now. And yet we are no better - usually not even appropriately - dressed.

443.jpg

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/re...returnUrl=/portal/residents/allhistoricimages

Back