News   May 16, 2024
 388     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 491     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 524     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Oddly enough, I thought of you when I was there last. The owner, myself, and a friend were having a great talk about the Chinese community in Toronto years ago. The summation was that it was a three-degrees of separation world, where most people were in a few occupations (laundries and restaurants being primary). Interesting things about saving to bring family over and there was lots more that I've forgotten; it was 3 in the morning or so.

"...three degrees?" It's less than that. I just spoke to my father-in-law. He knew the owner and his son in the 1960s, and traveled with them from Vancouver to Hong Kong on the same Canadian Pacific steamer. The owner and his son returned to Hong Kong never to come to Canada again. My father-in-law (who went to HK to find a wife) believes the present owner was a partner from the 1950s/60s who bought the place.

A cultural tidbit for you all. Ever go into a Chinese restaurant and it's full of waiters/waitresses? ... as in too many? Well,... they're not salaried employees; they're most likely partners. Now you know. :)

Then there's the matter of Chinese take-out; I think that International Chop Suey (complete w/vintage sign) might still be around on Kingston Road in the North Beach (and then there's the Fords' favourite: the Mayflower in Royal York Plaza)

Yes, yes, and The "Goof" on Queen, The Blossom on Wilson...

I was admiring my daughter's collecction of 'Tiki' objects when I was last in Columbus OH (she has a thing for post-war Tiki), and have come to the realization that there may be a Chop Suey subculture out there whose longings are more easily assuaged than those who seek the much less common Tiki. I know I'm writing in 'tongues' here. For those of you who don't get it; don't bother looking it up. It's nothing profound. :)

Tiger. My cat and Muse. He checks every thread posted here as he sits at my elbow constantly. He Knows. :) He was a shivering feral kitten when adopted. One of Toronto's True Native Sons.

DSCF4411.jpg

Then and Now for March 5.

Then. 50 Indian Road Crescent. c1910. "Residence of Howard Bovell. 50 Western Avenue Toronto."

43150IndianRdCrc1910.jpg

Now. September 2011.

432.jpg

Yes, yes, and The "Goof" on Queen, The Blossom on Wilson...

I was admiring my daughter's collecction of 'Tiki' objects when I was last in Columbus OH (she has a thing for post-war Tiki), and have come to the realization that there may be a Chop Suey subculture out there whose longings are more easily assuaged than those who seek the much less common Tiki. I know I'm writing in 'tongues' here. For those of you who don't get it; don't bother looking it up. It's nothing profound. :)

Both genres can captivate one senses, especially when incountered in an authentic enviroment!

I'm still amazed that building has been a dry cleaners for what seems like its entire history. I was staring at it this morning from breakfast at Motorama

Motorama! My great uncle Chris used to own Motorama and my uncle Peter used to work there. I was practically raised there; hell, we lived in the apartment upstairs for a while (although, I was too young to remember that part). We would sit at the last booth by the kitchen and we would get free food and the BEST rice pudding in town. Every weekend we'd be there and often sit there for hours listening to the jukebox whilst my mum did her shopping on Danforth. We stopped going after my great uncle died and we got older (teen years). Good times, good times.

Last edited:
Motorama! My great uncle Chris used to own Motorama and my uncle Peter used to work there. Every weekend we'd be there and often sit there for hours listening to the jukebox whilst my mum did her shopping on Danforth. Good times, good times.

Motorama was once the site of a drug store.
Right beside an Imperial Oil gas station and garage.
Is that why it got the name?

Attachments

• yTN Danforth at Jones-1934.jpg
    yTN Danforth at Jones-1934.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 300
Hi, I lived across the street from the dunlop factor also, maybe I know you. Michael.

Also, just up the street on Carlaw from Colgate Palmolive (by the way, they renamed "Natalie" Street "Colgate" in 1935 when they built the factory) was Reliable Toy factory. My mom worked there for 24 years from 1948. Many of those factories in the east end are either torn down or turned into condos (Wrigley). You know what it is like when you are a kid, your sense of smell is much more distinct than it is as we get older. I lived across the street from a Dunlop Tire factory, but depending on which way the wind was blowing, I also got a whiff of the soap smell from Colgate Palmolive factory, and the smell of fresh baking bread from Brown Bros. factory at Logan and Eastern (Now Weston). Many fine memories!
When did you live there, actually. Thanks. Michael.

Motorama was once the site of a drug store.
Right beside an Imperial Oil gas station and garage.
Is that why it got the name?

Ermagod! Thanks for posting that pic. It may have well been why. I know that during the 50s and 60s (before my time) my mum said that there was wallpaper with automobiles and such and it had more of a diner feel to it. I thought it did during my time there (70s to mid-80s) so I can only imagine how it was before. There was a fire, apparently, and they didn't keep the 'moto' theme after it.

Then and Now for March 6.

Then. "Archives Building, Toronto." c1918. 98 Atlantic Avenue. Another day, another thanks to wwwebster for his efforts in digging these up.

43398Atlanticc1918.jpg

Now. September 2011. Offices for City of Toronto Museums Services Collections and Conservation. Must be a swelterer in there in a heat wave, what with those small windows.

434.jpg

Last edited:

Back