News   May 17, 2024
 101     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 396     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 796     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for March 6.

Then. "Archives Building, Toronto." c1918. 98 Atlantic Avenue. Another day, another thanks to wwwebster for his efforts in digging these up.

43398Atlanticc1918.jpg

Now. September 2011. Offices for City of Toronto Museums Services Collections and Conservation. Must be a swelterer in there in a heat wave, what with those small windows.

434.jpg

Thank you Mustapha.

I've often wondered what this building was all about when passing by on my way to BMO Field.

db

^^I've always wondered the same after passing it many times.

Also from a few pages back, thanks so much to both Anna and Goldie for the links to the flooded St. Lawrence towns, brought back memories from my childhood that I haven't thought about in a long time. Facinating to read through the stories and look at the photos of the underwater remains.

My family did lots of camping when I was a child and my dad especially liked a campground on Nairne Island which was located on an island created by the seaway flooding, discovered from the linked website that it would have been the former outskirts of Aultsville.
I used to be intrigued by the remains of old highway #2 which ran partially along the riverfront of the campground. The ashphalt was breaking apart and you could see the different layers of it's construction and there were still painted lane markings. You could follow it for a bit before it dipped under the water to disappear. There was also the cement block and pad foundation of a house, completely visible, half in and out of the shallow water in one area. Doubt any of the road still remains, haven't been back in a long time.

Here's a photographer who has made amazing aerial photos of some submerged towns around the St Lawrence River area.
Many old highways, buildings and artifacts can be seen thru the layer of water.

Look at:

http://louishelbig.com/sunkenvillagesst.html

Then and Now for March 7.

Then. Danforth just E of Main looking E. UTer ValsHere sent me this vintage picture. I'm guessing 1968 or so. The two toned paint job Volkswagen bus just peeking out between the two streetcars is pretty cool. Someday I'd like a ride in one. When I was younger I wanted one of the campers. If time and means permits I'd like to get a small recreational vehicle someday for a cross country road trip. I don't believe the gas mileage is that great even for the smallest ones; perhaps I'll just wait..

436.jpg

Now. September 2011. I do believe that the row of 1970s stores stands where the tree and old house stood in the Then photo.

437.jpg

And just for interest, I took the Now picture with a lens of about 1970 vintage, so you are viewing an image of the present through a piece of optical glass about 40 years old. It's pretty sharp isn't it? A picture of the lens mounted on my camera below. The entry level Nikon digital DSLR bodies (models D40/D40X/D60/D3000/D3100) will mount F type lenses going back to the 1960s. You have to snap off several pictures all the time adjusting the shutter speed until you get a picture that isn't too dark/underexposed or too white/overexposed. Secondly you have to turn the focus ring (the "scalloped" ring on the front of the lens) until the scene is in focus. Thirdly and finally you have to chose an aperture by rotating that ring numbered 2 to 16 - a smaller aperture (as an example: "8") to get everything in focus (i.e., landscape or street scene pictures) or a larger aperture (as an example: "2") to isolate a subject (i.e., a person's face in a portrait).

It sounds like a lot of work but I'm sure its easier than online PC gaming. :) This lens cost me only 50$ and is all metal and glass, no electronics or chips inside.

DSCF3879.jpg

Fine lenses never become obsolete!

The Danforth Ave. view is from about June-July 1967 and was taken by the ubiquitous Mr. McMann. Locarno Bingo lasted into the 1980s or early 1990s. In the background of the Then view is the old NEW ERA furniture sign, which sort of survives in the Now view on the side of the large building at Sibley Ave. Interestingly, the Leon's store across from Luttrell Ave. is still listed as "Leon's New Era" in their flyers.

Fine lenses never become obsolete!

The Danforth Ave. view is from about June-July 1967 and was taken by the ubiquitous Mr. McMann. Locarno Bingo lasted into the 1980s or early 1990s. In the background of the Then view is the old NEW ERA furniture sign, which sort of survives in the Now view on the side of the large building at Sibley Ave. Interestingly, the Leon's store across from Luttrell Ave. is still listed as "Leon's New Era" in their flyers.

AlbertHWagstaff,

I've been going through the TTC gallery at

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/spare/0700.shtml

and have been amazed at the number of photos and number of photographers who had the passion to record these scenes. A search there comes up with several McMann photos.

33-35 King street west

We've often looked at comparisons on this thread of old buildings replaced by new buildings. We've seen buildings vanish as streets get widened or linked (Bay/Terauley, Davenport, Dundas). We've seen blocks vanish for new roads (Bay/Terauley, University, Mt. Pleasant). Some of these "ghost" buildings (such as the Princess Theatre which would be in the middle of the King/University intersection) can even be imagined on foggy nights.

One such ghost building wasThe Golden Lion at 33-37 King Street East, which vanished in 1901 when Victoria Street was extended southerly to Colborne (at the time of the construction of the King Edward Hotel). Once one of the premier early department stores in Victorian Toronto, its passing also symbolized the transition of King Street from its Georgian/Victorian scale to the new world of Edwardian "heft" and early skyscrapers (required reading: Patterns of the Past Dundurn Press 1988, chapter titled: "Streetscape and Society: The Changing Built Environment of King Street Toronto" by Gunther Gad and Deryk W. Holdsworth).

1857; The Golden Lion at left before alterations:
kingeast1857.jpg

1880:

Middle left:
king1880.jpg

rwalker.jpg

On the right:

kingeast1890.jpg

From Landmarks of Toronto

landmarkstoronto05robeuoft_0007.jpg

landmarkstoronto05robeuoft_0036.jpg

landmarkstoronto05robeuoft_0037.jpg

1890:
kingyonge1890-1.jpg

1910:
kingyonge1910-1.jpg

1907 The Golden Lion gone;
King_Street_1907.jpg

A_view_of_King_Street_looking_west_from_Toronto_Street.jpg

I was so excited to see "33..King Street.." but after I started breathing again! I realised it is King East......I have been searching for images of 33-5 (thereabouts) King Street WEST (lots of East but little West) in the 1850s.

I just joined Urban Toronto and am so grateful. Working on a project at UofT on toronto's history...Could anyone please help with photos of King Street WEST in the 1850s??

Now that the TPL has converted their Directories to PDF format, these individual GIF files may soon disappear, so best snag them now.

1856 (even numbers on south side):

tcd_1856-r-260.gif

tcd_1856-r-261.gif

tcd_1856-r-262.gif

1861 (even numbers on north side):

tcd_1861-r-57.gif

tcd_1861-r-58.gif

tcd_1861-r-59.gif

tcd_1861-r-60.gif

On the other hand, there are now decent-sized images of the 1858 Boulton Atlas:

atlas-r-165.jpg

None of the above are “photos,†of course, but are useful for putting images in context.

Then and Now for March 7.

Then. Danforth just E of Main looking E.

436.jpg

Now. September 2011. I do believe that the row of 1970s stores stands where the tree and old house stood in the Then photo.

437.jpg

Wow! I'm amazed to see a more recent photo of that house on Danforth (I was related to the owners thru the marriage of my brother-in-law)
I have this very old photo of the house. Date unknown.
The home was the residence of the Drummond family.
Mr. Drummond owned a Coal & Fuel business on the opposite side of Danforth where Canadian Tire is now located.
The second of these attached photos was taken from the Drummond's side porch, looking west - Danforth can be see on the left and behind the horse & building is a RR siding that ran N/S across Danforth.

Drummondhouse.jpg

lookingwestfromDrummondhouse.jpg

DrummondFuel.jpg

DrummondnowCT.jpg

Last edited:

Back