News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 557     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"Nothing you can do about it at 2:00 in the morning." QUOTE Mustapha.

SHRIMP COCKTAIL! (c/w H J HEINZ Chili Sauce)

(LOL)

REGARDS,
J T

How long did the fish and chip shop on the east side of Yonge just north of Golfdale last? Didn't it move up to the top of Hoggs Hollow and become a proper fish restaurant?

Leave the skin on the fish? Of course, they do, and I do at home as well. Especially when it's not battered (a stoopid way of saying "dipped in batter" in my estimation). We have a "chippy" in our village. The chippy himself is a hard working chap from eastern Europe. We don't go to the chippy very often. Fish-and-chip fish has got very expensive here and I am careful about cholesterol.

Memories of Penrose

I used to live around the corner off Mt Pleasant in the 70's ....................Do they still sell cones?/ inexpensive remnants from the fryers ~ a bit of fish, a bit of chips, A LOT of batter ~ yum!!

How long did the fish and chip shop on the east side of Yonge just north of Golfdale last? Didn't it move up to the top of Hoggs Hollow and become a proper fish restaurant?

Leave the skin on the fish? Of course, they do, and I do at home as well. Especially when it's not battered (a stoopid way of saying "dipped in batter" in my estimation). We have a "chippy" in our village. The chippy himself is a hard working chap from eastern Europe. We don't go to the chippy very often. Fish-and-chip fish has got very expensive here and I am careful about cholesterol.

Don't remember the Golfdale and Yonge area F&C shop; you grew up here in the 40s 50s - me in the 60s 70s - don't remember a place like this. There was a 'Maritime' F&C on the east side of Yonge south of Sherwood. It closed around 1970. We pay about $10. for a meal of F&C. What do you folks pay?

I used to live around the corner off Mt Pleasant in the 70's ....................Do they still sell cones?/ inexpensive remnants from the fryers ~ a bit of fish, a bit of chips, A LOT of batter ~ yum!!

Not on the menu I'm afraid. They used to do this in other F&C places too when I was a kid in the 60s.

July 28 Then and Now.

Then. Wellington and Windsor, SE corner 1950. A warehouse obviously.

109.jpg

Now. May 2011. A Hydro facility of some kind; a 'sub-station'?

110wellingtonandwindsorsecornersep1950.jpg

July 28 Then and Now.

Then. Wellington and Windsor, SE corner 1950. A warehouse obviously.

109.jpg

Now. May 2011. A Hydro facility of some kind; a 'sub-station'?

110wellingtonandwindsorsecornersep1950.jpg

and in 1863-64, according to Mitchell's Directory, starting at the Front Street end, the residences of
Sandford Fleming
John Maughan, jr & sr
George Boomer, police magistrate
Augustin Noverre, professor of dancing, and his daughters' school
Thomas C Chisholm, grain merchant

I imagine these have been done here already as it's a popular collection of photos, but since I was in the mall anyway... [and maybe the thread doesn't have a set with the new railings]

Then
eatoncentresnowflightstopf0124_fl0008_id0109.jpg

Now
EatonCentreMichaelSnowJuly2011-1.jpg

A few birds seem to have shifted angle slightly...

Then
eatoncentrelookingsf0124_fl0008_id0107.jpg

Now
EatonCentrelookingsJuly2011-1.jpg

I'm about 10 feet too far to the left, alas.

Then
eatoncentrecentref0124_fl0008_id0130.jpg

Now
EatonCentrecentrejuly2011-1.jpg

and in 1863-64, according to Mitchell's Directory, starting at the Front Street end, the residences of ...

Is there an online copy of this directory that's accessible?

I imagine these have been done here already as it's a popular collection of photos, but since I was in the mall anyway... [and maybe the thread doesn't have a set with the new railings]

Then
eatoncentresnowflightstopf0124_fl0008_id0109.jpg

Now
EatonCentreMichaelSnowJuly2011-1.jpg

A few birds seem to have shifted angle slightly...

Then
eatoncentrelookingsf0124_fl0008_id0107.jpg

Now
EatonCentrelookingsJuly2011-1.jpg

I'm about 10 feet too far to the left, alas.

Then
eatoncentrecentref0124_fl0008_id0130.jpg

Now
EatonCentrecentrejuly2011-1.jpg

Plink: Good comparison pictures inside the Eaton Centre...I believe the "then" pictures are from the 80s and from what I see here that the Eaton Centre looked fine without the updated glass guard walls...

Even though Eaton's no longer is there the right thing was done by not changing the well-established name...The EC in any case has aged well and has been a success in Downtown Toronto...LI MIKE

and in 1863-64, according to Mitchell's Directory, starting at the Front Street end, the residences of
Sandford Fleming
John Maughan, jr & sr
George Boomer, police magistrate
Augustin Noverre, professor of dancing, and his daughters' school
Thomas C Chisholm, grain merchant

Windsor Street: 1862, 1890, 1910 and 1924. What a difference a few decades can make.....

1862:

windsorstreet1862.jpg

1890:

windsorstreet1890.jpg

1910:

windsorstreet1910-1.jpg

1924:

windsorstreet1924-1.jpg

Last edited:
plink,

Great series. The Eaton Centre is something we take for granted I think. When you think of the downtowns of some other cities not so fortunate to have such a vital anchor - or citizens of other cities who don't appreciate and support their downtowns...

Private commercial space it may be, but it seems to me it has done well providing an all-weather promenade for all.

Something else that your pictures hint at: the businesses within come and go - we may have favoured some and miss their passing.

thecharioteer,

In your 1862 picture: we - well, me anyways :) - have forgotten how close the waters edge was in Toronto's earliest days. We extended the shoreline southward by landfill and built industry and rail on it - all well and fine. I'm wondering if we might have had a more attractive waterfront if at least some of the original contours were left intact. I'm imagining an unmolested Yonge street pier that survived down to the present.

Back