News   Jun 06, 2024
 194     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 443     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 431     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I'm a trained maltster (brewer & distiller as well). Malt also goes into distilled spirits. Basically all the prepared grains for Corktown. Once these grains are used, they are called Spent Grains. They would have gone to feed the cattle & hogs down this way in Leslieville.

Earliest Photo in Canada

The first photo taken in Canada was, ironically, this image (1840) of American soil by an Englishman, Hugh Lee Pattinson.
P.S. - Ten images were made of Niagara on that occasion, so it's impossible to know which was actually the "first."

Attachments

• Daguerreotype 1840.jpg
    Daguerreotype 1840.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 302
BROWN'S TORONTO GENERAL DIRECTORY

17 WINCHESTER STREET.
Ellis, J E
Jeweller.

Ellis + Ryrie + Birks = RYRIE, ELLIS, BIRKS CO.

BINGO!

Regards,
J T

Google streetview shows a row of grand looking semidetacheds with long front yards there. I can't tell which one is exactly #17 but it's still there.

I'm a trained maltster (brewer & distiller as well). Malt also goes into distilled spirits. Basically all the prepared grains for Corktown. Once these grains are used, they are called Spent Grains. They would have gone to feed the cattle & hogs down this way in Leslieville.

Pork chops and beer. Certainly a good reward for a hard day in Corktown. Gramps told me in that in his 1920s Toronto, Saturday was pork chop day.

The first photo taken in Canada was, ironically, this image (1840) of American soil by an Englishman, Hugh Lee Pattinson.
P.S. - Ten images were made of Niagara on that occasion, so it's impossible to know which was actually the "first."

Thank you Goldie. It must have been in the wilderness in 1840.

Isn't anyone going to do a "Now"? :)

Pork Chop Day. I love it. Back around 1920 I recently learned my Great Grandfather lived on River Street, on the West side, North of Gerrard St. Might's said it was a "cond h", which, according to the directory's legend, was a "Conductor's House". I had an ancestor who was involved with the TTC. So, all this information is a bit confusing. I don't know why there would be a conductor's house on the west side of the Don Valley. I am assuming it was a functional house for the railroad, and would have had to be closer to some rails or a yard.

He moved several doors down, however still the same area. This was before WWI, as it listed him in service. So he had to have lived there before his service work.

Pork and beer...next weekend for sure. Smoked pork shoulder, smoked brisket, beer can chicken, and lots of beer. Then a long nap.

Thank you Goldie. It must have been in the wilderness in 1840.

Isn't anyone going to do a "Now"? :)

The Then and Now would be quite amazing, actually. The Yanks stopped clearing out the fallen debris some time ago, as it would slow down the erosion.

There's a big dolomite disk in the Great Lakes, minus Lake Ontario. This disk ends around Niagara, which is why the escarpment is so defined. Underneath is limestone, which is much softer. Moving water erodes it and leaves the dolomite sticking out, until it breaks off like peanut brittle. The debris breaks the water's fall, and reduces its impact on the limestone. There's a big ramp at the bottom of the American Falls now, whereas they clean them out on Horseshoe Falls.

A lot of ruins & history down along the river and the integration of water height along the old and new Welland Canal System.

Last edited:
The Then and Now would be quite amazing, actually. The Yanks stopped clearing out the fallen debris some time ago, as it would slow down the erosion.

There's a big dolomite disk in the Great Lakes, minus Lake Ontario. This disk ends around Niagara, which is why the escarpment is so defined. Underneath is limestone, which is much softer. Moving water erodes it and leaves the dolomite sticking out, until it breaks off like peanut brittle. The debris breaks the water's fall, and reduces its impact on the limestone. There's a big ramp at the bottom of the American Falls now, whereas they clean them out on Horseshoe Falls.

I don't believe that is so BR. The depth of the Niagara River just north of the Horseshoe Falls is 56.6 meters (185 feet), with talus filling in a portion of the bottom to within 22 meters (72 feet) of the surface. They don't have to clear it away.

The American falls is going to gradually turn into one big rapids with hardly any "falls" at all.

I just know that the American Falls has a policy of not clearing them. It was a response to the erosion. In fact, they have dated the age of the falls, given the distance it has travelled, in comparison to a plaque that dated the falls back some time. I have to plan another bike tour down there soon.

That very first picture is quite amazing. That buildup is what restricts erosion.

I just know that the American Falls has a policy of not clearing them. It was a response to the erosion. In fact, they have dated the age of the falls, given the distance it has travelled, in comparison to a plaque that dated the falls back some time. I have to plan another bike tour down there soon.

Yes, that came up back in '69 when they contemplated such action. There was some sort of poll take with that being one of the options. The citizenry were against clearing of the talus so as to leave the American Falls in its naturally evolving state.

Back