News   Apr 25, 2024
 353     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I'm not sure what they need a video for. What fare inspectors can see and do is check that you've paid your fare, and when/where/how you paid it, and view other information on your card. What they look for with students and seniors has long been available at http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/Seniors_students_and_children/index.jsp - seniors need to carry valid Photo ID with proof that they're 65 years of age or older, students 13-15 don't need ID, and students 16-19 need to carry EITHER valid photo ID with proof of age OR a high school student ID.
On the paid fare side of the subway turnstiles there's a little light that goes on when a concession fare is used. This allows inspectors to identify possible cheats.

On the paid fare side of the subway turnstiles there's a little light that goes on when a concession fare is used. This allows inspectors to identify possible cheats.

It also makes a different noise and the light on top of the reader lights up yellow-green instead of green. Stupidly, this also occurs with Presto cards that are set as Post-Secondary on GO transit when riding the TTC, despite the fact that the TTC has no single-ride/Presto post-secondary fare category and post-secondary presto cards pay the full adult fare.

Finally got a look at one of the new GO/UPX Ticket Vending Machines with Presto purchasing and reload functionality! This was inside the UPX station at Union, towards the flight checkin kiosks. They've nicely denoted the added Presto features:

IMG_0398 (Custom).JPG

And I decided to document the very nice Presto reload process on these machines, it's very, very similar to the existing reload machines, it should be very intuitive for any longtime Presto user. Here, this is what appears when you press "Presto Services" then either Add Value or Transaction History:

IMG_0397 (Custom).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0397 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0397 (Custom).JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_0398 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0398 (Custom).JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 1,297
Saw the new addition on two of the Go ticket machines in the York Concourse as well. Thankfully the whole process went through without too much of a hiccup. Wish they could add tap-to-pay credit/debit like on the dedicated Presto reload machines. But it worked so I guess we take what we can get. It's well past time to get automated Presto reload machines/capability GTA wide. Beyond tired of having to see attendants just to reload, especially when booths aren't always staffed throughout the entire day.
And before anyone asks, yes I know about the online features. Just been caught a few too many times with my card not properly updated after an online top up and prefer the real-time in-person update. And live a five minute walk from a major bus terminal so it's not an inconvenience. Except when the booths are closed, for example on weekends early in the mornings.

Autoload takes the choice of when to load up off your hands though - and I can see how some people wouldn't like that depending on what their use style is (in some way Presto basically "borrowed" credit from autoload users before supplying the goods/service). Besides, that's not really a solution to the real problem - i.e. poor online handling of Presto. Look at this particular tweet:

https://twitter.com/c_9/status/832775938433753088

It is sh**ty.

AoD

Last edited:
Earlier today, I took the 6 Bay bus south from Charles St. to College St., and 15 minutes later I returned to Bloor St. using the subway at College. The system registered a transfer, which I appreciated but is a bit odd.

A friend who once used the same bus north and got off at Bloor was unable to use his card half an hour later to go back south on the same route.

Yup, you can't do a return trip on the same bus/streetcar but I get basically a 2 hr transfer by coming and going on two different routes, as you did.

London and the like are already moving to using any NFC enabled credit card and mobile payments. We're stuck figuring out Presto. FFS.

If we can't even get a dedicated farecard right, do you really think we should have gone in one shot all the way to full open payment with debit/credit? I can't even imagine the scale of that disaster.

If we can't even get a dedicated farecard right, do you really think we should have gone in one shot all the way to full open payment with debit/credit? I can't even imagine the scale of that disaster.

If the government hadn't insisted on building its own third rate tech in a gimme to Accenture, all of Ontario could be on an Open Payment system right now.

The government is just fortunate that most of the public doesn't know just how much of an f-up this project is.

Back