News   Apr 23, 2024
 933     2 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 426     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Well that has never happened to me before....got on the subway SB at Dundas Stn and the presto readers were down....was waived through and instructed to "tap at your destination".

I tapped on at Bloor GO Station yesterday, got "Defective Card" alert "See Service Representative". North tunnel kiosk was closed, so checked balance. It was insufficient, so topped up card with credit card, no problem. Tap on again and ready to go, card checked on UPX, tapped off at Weston, but as I do, I see it's dinged me multiples of the fare that it should.

Get back home in a couple of hours, talk to service rep on the south entrance: "You have to phone them (she was nice, always is, gave me card with the number) but it sounds like you must have failed to have tapped off some months back" Huh? I've been using it a couple of times a week at least.

So phone them up, service rep is bewildered, puts me on hold for a few minutes, comes back: "We're going to refund that overcharge, which machine did you tap on to?" They had to put in a service report, I gave my details so their tech could find the right machine. It seems, without even doing a tech service check, that it's faulty. As to why and how much and how often has to be determined by their tech team. At the very least, it gave the wrong message, it should have been "Insufficient Funds"....

Never a dull moment with glitches. It pays to keep checking your balance.

GRT's EasyGo fare cars system is using RFID.

Yes, but they are going with QR codes as well, just like OCTranspo, I believe for the same student passes and for single-ride transfer verification. It was part of the reason Presto didn't submit a proposal to become their farecard.

I guess we know why Presto has so many problems: It's using an 8 year old OS who's mainstream support ended in 2013.

Where does one feed the punched cards?
us__en_us__ibm100__punched_card__hand_cards__940x727.jpg

I guess we know why Presto has so many problems: It's using an 8 year old OS who's mainstream support ended in 2013.
There are lots of embedded CE systems in the wild, and for the most part they are stable and safe. Extended support runs until 2018 and if they upgrade to 7 they have until 2020. There's always the option of third-party support after this date. Embedded systems are meant to stay in place for years without major upgrades. This is a bit of red herring.

I'm not sure if anyone in the past 400 pages mentioned that Tap (https://www.taptogo.net/) the fare media used by LA Metro and the other cities in the area is very, very similar to Presto. I reloaded it easily from home before my second trip to LA last week. Reading the fine print was pretty similar to Presto (24 hour reload period, if you wait more than 30 days to tap your card it won't work, etc). I wonder how similar the systems are underneath.

I'm not sure if anyone in the past 400 pages mentioned that Tap (https://www.taptogo.net/) the fare media used by LA Metro and the other cities in the area is very, very similar to Presto... I wonder how similar the systems are underneath.

From a technical perspective, probably not a whole lot beyond what is standardized (open payment via NFC, etc.). Cubic, the company that rolled it out, does have a rather impressive list of customers though and would have been a good choice to buy an off-the-shelf fare-card from instead of rolling our own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_Transportation_Systems#Projects

Some of the most stable platforms are from years ago and with no support. You will find Fortran 77 still used at many financial institutions (which they internally maintain). Only if they need a large-scale change in functionality will they ever get rid of it. A 40 year old O/S.

Fortran 90 is still being developed for large-scale physics, scientific and other number crunching activities. Some have leaped to Fortran 08 but a lot of people still are on 90.

The modern O/S do not work for number crunching...only Fortran or C++ are designed for this.

GRT's EasyGo fare cars system is using RFID. OCTranspo uses RFID for Presto but also needs a system to handle the year-long university/college pass (which Presto doesn't support since it doesn't exist in the GTA) and paper tickets.

Sorry, but this just isn't true. The uOttawa U-Pass has been Presto- and Multi-enabled since May 2016; Carleton's should follow in September. Barcodes have nothing to do with the U-Pass.

Back