News   Apr 26, 2024
 128     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 149     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 582     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

I had once sent them a feedback about not walling off that 30m to make it look like a tiny claustrophobic box. If they have to block it off, use rails like how they do in Europe.

I think capacity warrants within a decade to run 3-car trains unless they want to run trains every 2-3 minutes instead of 5-6 min. Plus they can't wall it off with the Alstom cars. Also helps when there's a subway closure on BD for them to run 3-car trains. Especially for the upcoming ATO project.

A lot of the discussion has focused on car length but to say a service is light metro surely means > 2.65m width vehicles, which if it's not planned for would require significant rebuilding works.

A lot of the discussion has focused on car length but to say a service is light metro surely means > 2.65m width vehicles, which if it's not planned for would require significant rebuilding works.
Does that mean the Skytrains and SRT is not a metro since the width of those vehicles is only 2.65m?

Does that mean the Skytrains and SRT is not a metro since the width of those vehicles is only 2.65m?
Fair point - but they are high floor with more usable cabin space than an LFLRV, which if not planned for with respect to platform height and therefore stairs and elevators etc etc...

Fair point - but they are high floor with more usable cabin space than an LFLRV, which if not planned for with respect to platform height and therefore stairs and elevators etc etc...
2.65 seems like an odd number. The Montreal Metro uses 2.5-metre wide cars. Paris uses 2.4-metre wide trains. There are London tube trains that are only 2.61 metres wide (though seem narrow, given you have to duck at the edges, to not hit your head on the door or the ceiling).

Even the Confederation LRT line could be consider a light metro since it's fully grade separated with off street stations with fare paid zone bus terminals at 4 stations and operates on ATO.

Does high floor really offer that much more space when it's only 2.65m wide? The BBD Flexity Freedoms aren't as spacious as other low floor LRVs.

Great time for Metrolinx to waste more money and another judges time. They just need to admit it's there fault for making all of the changes to the contracts and stop blaming others for their mistakes.

They arent trying to argue the case, they are just trying to ask for clarity on how much time Bbr has to fix their trains which is a valid point. currently its indefinite so long as theyre in dispute resolution

They arent trying to argue the case, they are just trying to ask for clarity on how much time Bbr has to fix their trains which is a valid point. currently its indefinite so long as theyre in dispute resolution
Either way they are just wasting time and money for problems they created and don't seem to want to except that they are at fault.

Either way they are just wasting time and money for problems they created and don't seem to want to except that they are at fault.

Im just going to stick in the middle and say that both were at fault on this one, ML being inexperienced and bbr being incompetent

Im just going to stick in the middle and say that both were at fault on this one, ML being inexperienced and bbr being incompetent
I'll agree about metrolix being inexperienced but I fail to see how Bombardier has done anything in this situation. People just want to blame them because of the problems with the TTC Streetcar order, which the TTC is dealing with in a more rational manor then Metrolinx is buy airing all of their dirty laundry in the press.

I'll agree about metrolix being inexperienced but I fail to see how Bombardier has done anything in this situation. People just want to blame them because of the problems with the TTC Streetcar order, which the TTC is dealing with in a more rational manor then Metrolinx is buy airing all of their dirty laundry in the press.

they still dont have the software to make the first train run, which is also true for the ion train... which they are already a year behind on despite being separate orders

they still dont have the software to make the first train run, which is also true for the ion train... which they are already a year behind on despite being separate orders
I still say it's Metrolinx that caused the problems. Originally the ion order was supposed to be delivered after the metrolix prototypes but because metrolix dragees there feet and kept making changes Bombardier nagotiated seperetly with ion to provide them cars aged of Metrolinx because they don't have any where to put them yet. Metrolix should just be fired and the TTC should take over this project before it runs into any more problems.

Back