News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 344     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 907     1 

Marshalls

Honestly, I never been to the states since I was 10, so I never heard any of these brands. What's so special?

Well, I have been to the states lots but I am not a shopper so I can't really answer your question. What strikes me is that everytime a Canadian retailer closes/gets bought out web boards are full of "economic nationalists" telling us that it is a sin that we are letting Americans/foreigners take over our retailing institutions........seems to me we suffer from a bit of "the grass is always greener" syndrome when it comes to retail.

Are these stores bringing us anything that we can't already buy? I doubt it (based on no experience)......but they will be embraced

I'm not sure I'd agree. I mean, what Canadian retail chains are left? Sad to say it but Canadians just haven't been able to innovate or compete in this arena. Bring on the US chains, I say! There's more to Canadian nationalism than shopping... and besides we still have Tim Hortons (are they even Canadian owned anymore?).

Well, I have been to the states lots but I am not a shopper so I can't really answer your question. What strikes me is that everytime a Canadian retailer closes/gets bought out web boards are full of "economic nationalists" telling us that it is a sin that we are letting Americans/foreigners take over our retailing institutions........seems to me we suffer from a bit of "the grass is always greener" syndrome when it comes to retail.

Are these stores bringing us anything that we can't already buy? I doubt it (based on no experience)......but they will be embraced

Target at least has the potential to reenergize the discount shopping sector. I think someone mentioned here or elsewhere that many Walmarts in the States are nicer than what we have here. That's because their only real competition here is Zellers. With Target in the picture, they'll need to up their game (and their newer stores show some signs of that already).

I have to believe that in general, better selection when it comes to retailers in general will be a good thing.

I've been to these stores in the Pittsburgh area, where I have been spending a lot of time in the past five years, and frankly, it's nothing to write home about. Yes, they have good prices - I bought two very nice Ralph Lauren sweaters at Marshall's for the grand total of $78 - but with the size of their market, that is to be expected. I didn't see anything there that would be particularly novel in Toronto. Macy's, for instance, is very similar to The Bay: Calvin Klein, Lacoste, etc. Of course, their stores in New York are more impressive, but we're not New York.

I've been to these stores in the Pittsburgh area, where I have been spending a lot of time in the past five years, and frankly, it's nothing to write home about. Yes, they have good prices - I bought two very nice Ralph Lauren sweaters at Marshall's for the grand total of $78 - but with the size of their market, that is to be expected. I didn't see anything there that would be particularly novel in Toronto. Macy's, for instance, is very similar to The Bay: Calvin Klein, Lacoste, etc. Of course, their stores in New York are more impressive, but we're not New York.

Kohl's would be one store that would be quite novel to Toronto. Believe me, I've looked everywhere for something like it up here, and there's nothing.

Are these American chains going to charge Canadian or American prices in Canada? if they are going to charge Canadian prices it will be still cheaper to drive to the states to shop at Target, Macy's Kohl's etc...

Macy's are completely hit or miss and a lot depends on the city/location. NYC (5th Ave) and San Fran (Union Sq) are amazing. However everything from suburban Rochester to downtown Philly are a good grade below our downtown Bay.

Macy's are completely hit or miss and a lot depends on the city/location. NYC (5th Ave) and San Fran (Union Sq) are amazing. However everything from suburban Rochester to downtown Philly are a good grade below our downtown Bay.

And our suburban Bays are a good grade below our downtown Bay....so is there a different retail model in the States? Using that one example it does not sound like it.

Back