News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 759     0 

Marshalls

aiekon

Member Bio
Reaction score
From The Star: http://www.thestar.com/business/companies/article/906790--u-s-off-price-retailer-marshalls-coming-to-the-gta

Published on Tue Dec 14 2010

A U.S.-based sister chain to Winners will open its first Canadian stores next year, including one in the now defunct nightclub Circa in Toronto’s entertainment district, the property owner has confirmed.

The Circa site is one of at least four scheduled to open next year as Marshalls makes its move into Canada, the chief executive of RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust said in an interview.

“We have re-leased it to a Marshalls,” RioCan president and chief executive officer Ed Sonshine said of the former nightclub space on John St. between King and Richmond Sts.

The high-profile club, which featured 50,000 square feet of space and guest performances by rappers 50 Cent and Kanye West, closed three years after it opened.

The first three Marshalls are set to open next spring, one at Warden and Eglinton, one at the Colossus Centre at Highways 407 and 400, and one in the Durham Centre in Ajax, he said.

The store in the former Circa club will not open until later in 2011.

Marshalls is similar to Winners in that it carries mainly off-price brand name clothing and housewares. In the U.S., Marshalls differentiates itself from its sister chain, TJ Maxx, by stocking more family footwear, more junior styles and more men’s fashions.

The U.S. parent company, The TJX Cos. Inc., is likely to want Marshalls to complement rather than compete with Winners, said Frances Gunn, an assistant professor at Ryerson University’s Ted Rogers School of Management.

Comparing it to Best Buy and Future Shop, two consumer electronics chains that belong to the same parent, Gunn said: “The whole idea is to eat up as much of the available market share as possible in one organization.”

Like other U.S retailers eyeing Canada, TJX Cos. has seen its existing Canadian chains, Winners and HomeSense, outperform the market. Sales at its 297 Canadian stores were up 17.8 per cent year over year by the end of October.

Marshalls carries a somewhat broader range of goods than typical Winners, but not as much as a department store, said Wendy Evans, president of consulting firm Evans & Company,

Still, the chain will compete with elements of Zellers, Sears, the Bay and various specialty stores because it will have the same designer lines but come in under the regular price, Evans said.

Marshalls is just one of several large retailers with plans for Toronto’s entertainment district as the explosion of condos in that area drives demand for more stores, retail analysts said.

RioCan, which is also looking for locations for U.S.-based Target, said that chain is unlikely to open its first Canadian stores before 2013.

Uh oh, what does this mean for Winners?

I hope the Marshall's here isn't a watered down version of the US chain. In the US branch you can find a lot of Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, etc.

I still find it a weird location for that type of retail! If anything, that space should have been turned into a grocery store to accommodate the thousands of residents moving into the area within the next 4-5 years. (I'm one of them and I hate that the nearest mid/full-sized grocery store is the Longos at MLS)

I still find it a weird location for that type of retail! If anything, that space should have been turned into a grocery store to accommodate the thousands of residents moving into the area within the next 4-5 years. (I'm one of them and I hate that the nearest mid/full-sized grocery store is the Longos at MLS)

Yea, you're right. Is it going to take up the entire building? Circa's huge. Would have really liked seeing something else there.

I found it odd as well.

But I won't worry about a grocery store ... I'm sure this area will see a few in the next couple of years.
This isn't a great location for one anyway as they're typically on one floor - the floor plates aren't that large so it's not really big enough for a decent sized (1 floor only that is).

The interesting hint in that article was that other big box retailers are looking for spaces in this district.

I'm surprised the article didn't mention any Marshalls for Mississauga. Usually Mississauga is one of the first places to open the big US chains like that. Heartland Town Centre has plenty of space and they're building a new section in the NW quadrant. They did say "at least" four, so I could go out on a limb and guess their fifth is Heartland. Although I wouldn't place money on it :p

Wow, that's a huge store! 50,000 square feet. Maybe it'll be like a Marshalls 'N More, similar to the Winners/HomeSense combo locations (fka Winners 'N More).

If you're a big time retailer and you want a large space downtown, Adelaide and Richmond Streets are logical choices. There are many, many large old warehouse spaces available. Once a high profile retailer like Marshalls moves in, you can be sure others will quickly follow.

I don't see why. This is directly south of the big box brand-name area of Queen St. Seems like a good fit.

I was talking with some people yesterday and someone said off-hand that Marshalls is coming to Heartland in the Spring. Although it's possible I misunderstood. We'll see!

I am one of them too, and it really sucks having to walk so far with groceries in hand. Even in Mississauga, I didn't have to walk as far.

Back