393     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Jasonzed's myDrone Activity of Toronto and Area

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your opinion of the new tiny drones?

I just noticed the new FPV-capable Micro Drone 3.0 is on IndieGoGo for only $150. They're an established small-time drone manufacturer, crowfunding a new version. It is only 720p but it also has the world's smallest gimbal for only $50 extra, and is intelligently wind-stablized to 45mph despite weighing less than a pound. From what I read, that's the one of the cheapest FPV drones I've seen, though I'm sure the range is smaller than a DJI. And you can't run a 4K camera like you can with the DJI.

Yet the price is so much more accessible, the price of yesterday's digital pocket camera! Would be interesting to check my roof and roof gutters of my house.

Last edited:
What's your opinion of the new tiny drones?

I just noticed the new FPV-capable Micro Drone 3.0 is on IndieGoGo for only $150. They're an established small-time drone manufacturer, crowfunding a new version. It is only 720p but it also has the world's smallest gimbal for only $50 extra, and is intelligently wind-stablized to 45mph despite weighing less than a pound. From what I read, that's the one of the cheapest FPV drones I've seen, though I'm sure the range is smaller than a DJI. And you can't run a 4K camera like you can with the DJI.

Yet the price is so much more accessible, the price of yesterday's digital pocket camera! Would be interesting to check my roof and roof gutters of my house.

The tiny drone is certainly affordable and may work well for some all around fun but, depending on its specifications, you may get frustrated on its limitations (height, distance, camera, functionality, etc.). From my experience, inspecting roofs and roof gutters are sometimes better served if the gimbal allows the camera to look straight down per my examples below.

I can save you few bucks and inspect your roof and roof gutters :)

dce3d5fc-7cc5-486e-816c-1d79ddcbc137_zpsretwq3gy.jpg

9998a5b2-5199-4487-93dc-1afc2544c481_zpsb5xbtuwb.jpg

1ed634a0-6ed6-4611-bcc1-6c2318f2324b_zpsemnquqgb.jpg

610eeae2-8e7b-47f3-888c-368ba74e2a23_zpsf7aemt7x.jpg

From my experience, inspecting roofs and roof gutters are sometimes better served if the gimbal allows the camera to look straight down per my examples below.
Nice pictures!

I don't think you want to drive to Hamilton to inspect my gutters, anyway ;) ... I notice you brought your drone to Hamilton before, though. But if you come anywhere near Gage park again in a future year, send me a PM. I love watching, and I might have bought the Micro Drone by then (manufactures for late-fall shipping). It would be wimpy compared to a Phantom but it would be lovely to compare the two.

The Micro Drone 3.0 (the sequel to the successful 2.0) has a controllable camera that rotates left/right and can look-up-and-down 90 degrees, controllable separately of the controls. The optional gimbal add-on also stabilizes in realtime for anti-shake in both axes. It can be controlled by iPhone or a standard 2.4 GHz controller, ideally both (iPhone for panning the camera independently). It's the world's smallest and cheapest drone to public sale with this capability. It's apparently sensored-out enough to stationkeep in 45mph wind which is impressive for something hand-sized. I just wondered if you heard of this, and had any opinion, even though it's only a pokey 720p. It's only specced 50ft default video range for built-in iPhone wifi (better if using WiFi booster), 300ft controller range. Not as good as a Phantom and I wouldn't be able to go really high.

I only have a cheap "Air Hogs style" generic toy quadracoptor (cameraless) from Canadian Tire's toy section (but works with 2.4Ghz controllers such as HobbyKing). It was on sale for only $29 (normally $60)! I've got the basics of 4-channel flight and can race indoors through my whole house without crashing into doorways, and Micro Drone 3.0 is about the same size. So a bit of fun (mainly indoors/on my property) is also in my repertoire too --

EDIT: My Micro Drone 3.0 is on order.
At the minimum, it's a nice $200 indoor toy to fly my whole house indoors using virtual reality goggles (it includes a Google Cardboard style thingy), and some utility for seasonally inspecting my trees and house.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back