News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 586     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Ikea

I just wonder if the new store will be transit friendly or not.

How can this not be transit friendly? Just step from Church and Jarvis on King.
King_James_200x200.jpg

^ So take the complimentary shuttle...

edit - hmm, the forum's slow tonight - I sent that like 15 minutes ago.

I'll also take the chance to add that IKEA cannot possibly fit a full-sized store downtown without taking up half a skyscraper...there just wouldn't be room for the warehouse or the showrooms. A downtown store would be extremely busy, so a small store that only stocks half the stuff would be kinda pointless...people would be forced into the suburbs for their Poppen sofas or Ektorn tables or Marva cutlery or the delicious food :)

There's renovations happening on the second floor. Wonder if they are taking more than just the ground floor.

Attachments

• p7150002.jpg
    p7150002.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 431
  • p7150003.jpg
    p7150003.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 438
At night, you can see the entire 2nd and 3rd floor gutted for the entire building, even the part that goes over to the east on top of the other tenant.

It would be cool if it were like their marketplace shop selling home wares.

My prediction: This will be a store closely resembling other downtown furniture stores... No frills (playground, resturant, etc.) Just select furniture pieces that fit the downtown lifestyle ... all packed in together to maximize space.

Wow! This is great. IKEA is perfect for dwellers in small condos who need small furniture, and don't want to spend a bundle. Like, uh, me. I assume it will be a small showroom with ability to order other catalog items (though doesn't the website sort of provide this service to everyone already?)

But that suggestion about making the SUN building into a large-scale IKEA made me shudder. I live very close to there and the neighbourhood is highly residential... a store like that would destroy it (yup, NIMBY).

If downtown got an Ikea, that would be nuts. We already have more stores in the GTA than any other city in the world, last I checked anyway. The 2 in Toronto, Vaughan and Burlington. Okay Burlington isn't GTA, but close enough.
Burlington is in the GTA. The GTA includes Toronto, Durham, York, Peel & Halton. Although, stats can includes it in the Hamilton CMA.

It is Ikea. Sign indicates it will open on July 31. Given the location and size its some promo thing or perhaps some showroom type location where you order and they deliver.
That sounds about right, especially now that they have a delivery service.

Too bad we don't have Habitat or Muji here.
AoD
I agree. I'd love both!

Is Saatchi still there?
I thought they were still there until recently, but apparently the've been gone for quite a while. Still, it seems there has been a recent exodus of stores and offices leaving the building, so I wouldn't be surprised to see IKEA take over the entire multi-floor space.

But that suggestion about making the SUN building into a large-scale IKEA made me shudder. I live very close to there and the neighbourhood is highly residential... a store like that would destroy it (yup, NIMBY).
Although, to be a devil's advocate, that Business Depot hasn't exactly destroyed the neighbourhood.

All in all, I think this is pretty good news and will really cement King St E as Toronto's "furniture district." I'd think other retailers in the area will be happy too as it can only bring more people and notoriety to the area.

I would guess the store will be a combination of their "marketplace" and a showroom of select urban-oriented furniture pieces.

Ha! Have you used the 80 Queensway bus to get the Ikea on The Queensway. There is no entrance or exit to the building on The Queensway. You have walk 180° around the building to get to the doors.

Yeah, that's pretty disgusting - the city should have demanded the main entrance be facing the Queensway. I am however very grateful that the big parking lot was put in the back next to the QEW where it's not an eyesore.

Back