1.7K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

MCC: Confederation Parkway Bridge

I wrote an article about this bridge on I Bike TO:
http://www.ibiketo.ca/node/2477

Should let you know the city is putting in 1.5m lanes on Mississauga Valley Blvd to deal with the issue of a single lane collector road that should been an local road from day one.

The intersection of Central Parkway and Confederation as well Confederation is underway for a bike lane from Dundas to the bridge. Road is too narrow south for bike lane. It will be interesting how far north a bike lane will go.

Maybe a bike lane can be added to Hurontario when it gets rebuilt for the LRT, but not under the bridge at the QEW or CP tracks. Cannot put in an LRT under thw QEW now.

Long over due for bike lanes in this city.

I see a lot of cyclists along Britannia. However, these seem to professional sport cyclists...

I think another obstacle for cycling in MCC is the fact that the street grid is incomplete. Webb Dr for example is still not finished. This is also an incovenience to pedestrians as well.

I spent most of my summer in small-town Quebec and cycling was my main method of getting around, after 5 years of not cycling at all. The roads are a lot calmer there, but the hills are crazy! I just finished some major repairs to my bike to continue try the tradition here. A lot more traffic here but that is better than bigger hills.

They knew it was going to be an arterial from day one with a bridge over the 403. They even had the timetable when the farm was to disappear. Right on schedule.

I made my pitch to planning and development years ago that theses homes were a mistake and the street should be line with 6 stories building to support the transit line. Council said there was enough unites in the core to allow these home.

Council has never had a real vision for the city let alone a city with real transit. The same thing happen to Mavis and Winston Churchill.

But even parts of Winston Churchill are lined with lots of medium or high-density development, or are zoned for it. Same with Mavis. These are much better planned than the older arterials, like Burnhamthorpe.

But this Confederation extension not like Winston Churchill or Mavis, it is more like Burnhamthorpe: pure low density.

Should let you know the city is putting in 1.5m lanes on Mississauga Valley Blvd to deal with the issue of a single lane collector road that should been an local road from day one.

The intersection of Central Parkway and Confederation as well Confederation is underway for a bike lane from Dundas to the bridge. Road is too narrow south for bike lane. It will be interesting how far north a bike lane will go.

Maybe a bike lane can be added to Hurontario when it gets rebuilt for the LRT, but not under the bridge at the QEW or CP tracks. Cannot put in an LRT under thw QEW now.

Long over due for bike lanes in this city.

I think ALL arterials that have no highway interchange should have bike lanes: Kennedy, Bristol, Tomken, Rathburn, Glen Erin, Creditview, etc.

Forget about bike lanes along roads like Hurontario because cyclists will still have to deal with the interchanges.

I think ALL arterials that have no highway interchange should have bike lanes: Kennedy, Bristol, Tomken, Rathburn, Glen Erin, Creditview, etc.

Forget about bike lanes along roads like Hurontario because cyclists will still have to deal with the interchanges.

Agree. Add Dundas, Eglinton, Burnhamthorpe, Derry, parts of the Lake Shore, Queensway just to name a few others.

Since 401 interchange is going to be rebuilt shortly, no reason you cannot put a lane on it for Hurontario.

The 403 will not work as it does not work for traffic now on Hurontario.

One way you can deal with interchanges that have ROW for transit is to add the bike lane in the ROW.

I think another obstacle for cycling in MCC is the fact that the street grid is incomplete. Webb Dr for example is still not finished. This is also an incovenience to pedestrians as well.

This is a trip I make on foot very often and it's indeed very inconvenient. It's right up there with no Burnhamthorpe bus service between Kariya and Duke of York, the difficulty of crossing City Centre mid-block, and the lack of stop signs at the Enfield/Matthews Gate 3-way intersection.

As a bit of chicken-and-egg, drivers in Mississauga tend not to be as aware of cyclists and pedestrians either.

cyclists are out there.

we're definitely out there. though dispersed and unorganized.
maybe something needs to be done to change that.

i always get this sense that there is no community in mississauga.
where is the ibikemississauga? where is the mississauga cyclists union? where are the local grassroots organizations for bicycle advocacy?
maybe i'm just missing out, or maybe i'm not involved in the right networks.

we're a city of 700000+? why is there no real definable cycling community?

we have people dying in this city riding their bikes. and what is done?

it is clear that now more than ever is the time for action.
the bridge is certainly a step in the right direction - no question.
but it is just a drop in the pond. hopefully there are some big ripples.
but i think there needs to be more.

anyone want to go for a bike ride?

we're definitely out there. though dispersed and unorganized.
maybe something needs to be done to change that.

i always get this sense that there is no community in mississauga.
where is the ibikemississauga? where is the mississauga cyclists union? where are the local grassroots organizations for bicycle advocacy?
maybe i'm just missing out, or maybe i'm not involved in the right networks.

we're a city of 700000+? why is there no real definable cycling community?

we have people dying in this city riding their bikes. and what is done?

it is clear that now more than ever is the time for action.
the bridge is certainly a step in the right direction - no question.
but it is just a drop in the pond. hopefully there are some big ripples.
but i think there needs to be more.

anyone want to go for a bike ride?

Owen,

I actually brought that topic up (lack of community / cycling activists / etc.) at Ben Gomberg's talk last month (http://www.ibiketo.ca/node/2419). Someone from the Mississauga Cycling Committee (http://www.mississaugacycling.ca/) spoke up and said that they're basically it.

It's good that they have a committee, but being controlled by The City somewhat limits their usefulness.

Yeah, someone should start a Mississauga cycling advocacy group. I'd probably join, or at least support it in some way. I don't actually live in Mississauga, but I bet I cycle in this city more than 99% of Mississasugans. :)

Anway, this is veering off-topic from the bridge. I'd be up for riding if you're interested. Send me a PM.

Hazel gets ready to BIKE ride to work!

hazel-bike.jpg

Mayor Hazel McCallion has promised to ride her bike to Mississauga’s city hall on Sept. 22 in honour of Car Free Day.

The legendary 87-year-old mayor says she is braving the city streets, with a helmet, to get people thinking about the easy, inexpensive ways they can help the environment, and reduce traffic congestion, like getting on a bike or car pooling. She told the Post’s Natalie Alcoba about her plans:

Q: I heard you are planning to bike from your home to city hall on Car Free Day.
A: Yup I plan to do it, weather being acceptable. I’m certainly not going to go on a rain day, but weather permitting I intend to bike.

Q: So how far of a bike ride is that?
A: It is quite a distance. I can’t take transit, because no transit comes anywhere near my house. I’d have to walk quite a distance to get anywhere near a transit stop. The bike ride will take a while. It takes me 10 to 15 minutes by car, so you can judge that.

Q: You said you have been practising. So do you bike around quite a bit?
A: No I don’t, I don’t have time. But I do grab it when I can.

Q: What kind of bike do you ride?
A: I don’t know, a regular bike.

Q: Why did you decide to do this?
A: I just thought I would try to set an example. I certainly can’t ride a bicycle to work everyday because I need my car to drive around to different appointments, so you can’t use a bicycle. It’s impractical. I just thought that for that day, to emphasize the importance of it, I would ride. And I am going to wear a helmet because I wish I saw more people with helmets on when they’re riding bicycles.

Q: That’s a bylaw in Mississauga, right? Cyclists are supposed to wear helmets?
A: Yeah, but we don’t enforce it.

Q: Are you at all nervous or frightened about going out on the road with all of those cars? I bike in Toronto, and it can get pretty hairy out there.
A: Well, in Toronto I guess it is but I don’t think it’s as bad out here. Maybe on some streets, but I’m not on Hurontario Street, or Dundas Street. I’m on Creditview to Rathburn and Rathburn to city hall.

Q: Mississauga’s had Car Free Day before, so what makes this year special?
A: It started out a number of years ago and it didn’t have that much support, but it sure is building. I think the program that has been set up at city hall is going to emphasize car pooling, biking, walking, you name it. It’s building, I think the citizens are becoming quite interested.

Q: Would you say Mississauga is a bike friendly city? Are there a lot of bike lanes?
A: We have a lot of bike lanes. I don’t know how it compares to other cities, and we’re creating more as time goes on. We have an excellent cycling committee that keeps us on our toes, they work very closely with the transportation staff. They don’t expect all the roads to be converted into bicycle lanes overnight, but they’re prepared to work with us.

Photo of Hazel McCallion riding near her Streetsville home this afternoon by Peter J. Thompson, National Post

GO Hazel!

Louroz

I get the feeling that this would be just as newsworthy if Mississauga's mayor was forty and in good health. They're just so focused on commuting by car.

It's too bad Hurontario isn't the priority when it comes to bicycle infrastructure. A street with so many businesses and people is most useful for non-recreational trips. Those are what should be encouraged.

They were probably paid to be there ; - )

nice to see the bike lane goes all the way to eglinton now.

does anyone know when the new bicycle master plan is due out?

I still think the bike lanes should be separated from the street by a curb like they do in Montreal. Makes it safer for both car and bike.

Back