News   Jun 06, 2024
 106     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 242     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 474     0 

Hakim Optical - Dundas Square

Is this the stupidest project in the entire GTA?

• Of course it is.

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Without a doubt.

Votes: 46 65.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey folks. Heres some pictures:)

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0613.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 298
It may be impressive that it turned out to look like a normal building given how pathetic the project seemed at times during construction but that glass reminds me of the cliched '80s mirrored glass towers.

Any betting folks here who want to wager whether or not this will be complete by year's end? Geeze!

It may be impressive that it turned out to look like a normal building given how pathetic the project seemed at times during construction but that glass reminds me of the cliched '80s mirrored glass towers.

It is interesting that the building has an architect who has his name on a sign and a contractor who has two. If I were the architect of this 'undistinguished' building I think I would keep it quiet and if I wanted a builder I might not want one who takes so long to build this one.

why do you have the stupid poll up top? The choices don't make any sense. The building is reflective glass box, but it isn't offensive. It did take a long time to get finished, but perhaps they had some financing trouble. I wouldn't downgrade them for that.

I do think the poll should be deleted. I think it was more representative of what it looked like 2 years ago haha.
It's not that bad now. It's better than an empty lot.

The poll was funny at the time and true. It actually looks half-decent now, surprisingly.

I like the lighting at the top. That is all.

This spot would've been perfect for a super slim, +/- 30 storey building. Something like the Cosmopolitan Hotel on Colborne St.

it's not a bad building, just a really generic looking building.
It's funny how they saved the brick base, which is only seen on the side and the back of the building. The old brick portion alone is nothing special, but in the context of the new building it adds some visual interest to the reflective facade.

It's funny how they saved the brick base, which is only seen on the side and the back of the building. The old brick portion alone is nothing special, but in the context of the new building it adds some visual interest to the reflective facade.

I suspect it was less for aesthetic reasons, than as a tax dodge or something (i.e. qualifying the building as a "renovation" rather than as outright new construction)

I suspect it was less for aesthetic reasons, than as a tax dodge or something (i.e. qualifying the building as a "renovation" rather than as outright new construction)

This was discussed way back when this building was starting and the consensus then seemed to be that kereping the brick wall made the project a renovation not a new building and thus there were fewer hoops to jump through and/or fees to pay. The wall is certainly not 'historic' and is not in very good condition; in my opinion it detracts from the rest of the building.

Back