News   May 10, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Hakim Optical - Dundas Square

Is this the stupidest project in the entire GTA?

• Of course it is.

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Without a doubt.

Votes: 46 65.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree, I look at this silly building and how long it took to put up and just laugh.

Site Visit Nov 13

Click for full size

I think it is safe to say that this project will be off the books in 2011.

How many towers have been built during the course of building this thing?

Click for full size

I think it is safe to say that this project will be off the books in 2011.

So that's what, 3, 3 1/2 years to add 3 or 4 floors to this silly little building?

^ Not really. What could you build there? You can't go much taller without blocking the Bond Place hotel. I'm sure the city wouldn't approve anything taller. If anything, this building releases the real prime real estate across the street to be developed into a major hotel tower right on the square.

The Ritz Carlton was built faster than this thing. They could have had major retail store or restaurant bar in this location or maybe an boutique hotel , It's already blocking the Bond Place hotel going a few stories higher wouldn't be an issue

May 21
LooooKie, loookie, MAAAA!! Hakim Optical has moved into their new building after 4 years of construction. This means they can now sell their old building accross the street to Ryerson or someone else now.

Jack sure took his time building this place. Now, lets see how long it will take them to lease the extra office space in this building.
5745562006_35434e1a56_b.jpg

5745563058_86bc53b2c9_b.jpg

5745564174_f6907d129d_b.jpg

5745020205_7c347f212b_b.jpg

5745567216_5f6ee70858_b.jpg

May 21
LooooKie, loookie, MAAAA!! Hakim Optical has moved into their new building after 4 years of construction. This means they can now sell their old building accross the street to Ryerson or someone else now.

I thought I read somewhere (in this thread?) that the old Hakim building actually belongs to the City who have (or had) plans for that corner in the Kyle Rae era.

May 21

Jack sure took his time building this place. Now, lets see how long it will take them to lease the extra office space in this building.

Cute, it actually came out better than i thought...good location for a small media company to set up shop.

So lets see... if I'm seeing this right they kept the old facades of the two side walls facing the alley? No seriously, did they actually do that? hahaha! and they've added a floor of new brick above it?! Priceless! This is the most hilarious case of facadism in the city. wow. But then they make the first floor half a floor above ground level. As if the building doesn't look awkward enough with its ridiculous massing and proportions within context.

The small overhang is awkward to walk by because it feels like your supposed to be able to go underneath it but they built it a meter short. Look again at that last pic and compare the guy to the overhang. lol. Looks like you could hit your head on it.

Oh and don't forget that this project started construction around when trump did (ish). Look at the size of trump now.

I'm not even upset about how bad this entire project is. I'm actually quite impressed!

So lets see... if I'm seeing this right they kept the old facades of the two side walls facing the alley? No seriously, did they actually do that? hahaha! and they've added a floor of new brick above it?! Priceless! This is the most hilarious case of facadism in the city. wow.

Well, it isn't exactly "facadism". It's more of a tax dodge so that the building can qualify as "renovation" rather than new construction...

The finished product is a minor architectural curiosity. Contemporary glass curtainwall bay window for the first floor retail, 70s partly visible basement retail space, generous helping of 80s mirrored glass, aged-to-perfection tax dodge walls--your eyes really can have it all.

I thought I read somewhere (in this thread?) that the old Hakim building actually belongs to the City who have (or had) plans for that corner in the Kyle Rae era.

If I remember correctly, there were plans dating back to the original precinct plan for Dundas Square.

Who knows whether they'll still pursued, and maybe Rye has their eye on that lot now.

Back