News   Jun 03, 2024
 895     4 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 646     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

If the entire line was grade separated, could speeds be increased? With all the stops, I can't imagine things could be sped up all that much but every extra minute counts.

There would be some increases in speed, more noticeably with stations adjacent to crossings. And some PSO's can be lifted such as the 25mph restriction between Unionville and Centennial which is entirely due to the multiple crossings in the area. But the larger aspect is the safety issue imo, as there have been multiple accidents at crossings along the line in its history, more so than other lines.

Last edited:
I had Friday off (as usual) and I was checking out the GO grade seperation near the Agincourt GO station. I check it out fairly often- anyways yesterday an engineer started talking to me and he stated that more grade seperations were planned for this Stouffville (Lincolnville?) line, since they planned on increasing the frequencey of this GO route. Good news-hope to see this done more often as commuter rail is going to increase greatly soon!

There would be some increases in speed, more noticeably with stations adjacent to crossings. And some PSO's can be lifted such as the 25mph restriction between Unionville and Centennial which is entirely due to the multiple crossings in the area. But the larger aspect is the safety issue imo, as there have been multiple accidents at crossings along the line in its history, more so than other lines.

Yeah, I've heard some horror stories from longtime Stouffville riders (drivers trying to race through the crossing and getting killed, etc.)

I had Friday off (as usual) and I was checking out the GO grade seperation near the Agincourt GO station. I check it out fairly often- anyways yesterday an engineer started talking to me and he stated that more grade seperations were planned for this Stouffville (Lincolnville?) line, since they planned on increasing the frequencey of this GO route. Good news-hope to see this done more often as commuter rail is going to increase greatly soon!

That's great news. Besides Steeles, I wonder when the rest will be announced? I assume that some of them that are close together could be done at the same time, like how when the Hagerman separation was done the line was also separated under 14th avenue.

Metrolinx buys track: $310.5

Metrolinx is buying a line that runs from Rosedale Valley road north through the Don Valley to CN’s main east-west freight line near the Toronto-York region border. The line is a part of CN’s Bala subdivision.
… 
CN’s is also selling a part of its Oakville subdivision, starting from a point in the Etobicoke area of Toronto and terminating in Oakville, Ont.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/sells+rail+lines+Toronto+million/6366883/story.html

We knew it was coming and now it is complete.

Does this mean that we will finally see higher frequencies (e.g. 30 minutes) on the Lakeshore line during off peak times?

Now that GO owns the Lakeshore line from Oakville to Oshawa, it should be relatively inexpensive to run more off peak service east of Oakville, since the costs are essentially labour and fuel, the trains already exist and are sitting in Willowbrook going nowhere. Even with the budget deficit adding more service should require little or no taxpayer subsidy. It should be possible to recover most or all of these extra costs from additional fare revenue caused by higher ridership because of better frequencies, since GO Transit's fares are so expensive. I am not sure what the hourly cost of running a GO train is, suppose it is $300/hour. A fare from Oakville to Union is $6.85 so if running an extra train between Oakville and Union costs 43 minutes*$300/hour = $215 per one way trip, only 32 additional people need to use the train for GO to break even, if it can attract more riders it can make a profit. Given the traffic problems during midday, evenings and weekends on Gardiner/QEW/DVP/401 and the fact that the existing once an hour trains are often full, I would expect that adding extra trips could quite easily be profitable now that GO no longer has to pay CN for trains running on the Lakeshore line east of Oakville. If GO transit would improve frequencies on Lakeshore to 30 minutes (or ideally 15-20), as has been done at most times of day to the Hamilton Express and the Square One Milton GO bus, it would be VERY useful to a lot of people.

andrew this has nothing to do with that. Engineers need to be hired for more service.

That and, I am pretty sure, the operating costs of a train have to exceed $300/hour...no? I have no idea what the actual costs but I am pretty sure that someone here must have a reasonable estimate and I think it would be unfair to a poster making what appears to be a fairly sincere, and thought out, post to let him walk away thinking that number is accurate.

Anyone know, roughly/estimated, what it costs per hour to run a 10 or 12 car GO train? If it is only $300 an hour we have to wonder how they could be at such a low cost recovery level on current service levels/prices.

That and, I am pretty sure, the operating costs of a train have to exceed $300/hour...no? I have no idea what the actual costs but I am pretty sure that someone here must have a reasonable estimate and I think it would be unfair to a poster making what appears to be a fairly sincere, and thought out, post to let him walk away thinking that number is accurate.

Anyone know, roughly/estimated, what it costs per hour to run a 10 or 12 car GO train? If it is only $300 an hour we have to wonder how they could be at such a low cost recovery level on current service levels/prices.

yea pretty sure the diesel alone would cover that $300, never mind conductors, and traffic controllers.

There are no reasonable estimates, as CN (and CPR) will not allow the terms of the contracts that they make with GO - be it for track time occupancy, dispatching, maintenance, crewing, etc. - to be made public. And Bombardier is trying its hardest to keep theirs secret too.

Some costs are well known, such as fuel use, and crewing/train can be roughly estimated. But beyond that, it's a crapshoot.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

March 27
Based on number in the US, hourly rate to have a train on the line is between $350-$500. Since the operators don't want the public to know the terms of a contract for GO, some sweet deals are to be had.

Radar Gun is being used on all trains in the Strachan Ave construction zone until the trains clear the area. Data is then enter into a log book. Traffic is on Strachan Ave is also under the radar gun. If you look close at the video, you can see the radar gun being used by the box area on the south west area.
7037434533_1a7251a1f2_b.jpg

7037432023_28932d45ed_b.jpg

6891339414_ba8c3943fd_b.jpg

6891343594_4cd5b0ea22_b.jpg

7037439985_60db2ef955_b.jpg

7037629509_d4e401505a_b.jpg

[video=youtube;EsmhldC7isQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsmhldC7isQ[/video]

I read somewhere online that the piles being placed in the ground @ Strachan are being augured in, as opposed to the hammering method in the Junction. This was because of the rock bed beneath the ground at Strachan (closer to the lake) was softer and can just be drilled straight into. Should make for an easier (in terms of tlmelines) underpass to construct, I assume?

Anybody else know anything on this subject? Sorry if I'm way off base.

Finally found time to checkout the Georgetown projects yesterday.

The diamond hasn't change that much since I saw it last. Saw a few piles that have been pull due to damage. Sign say that the crossing will open on April 25 and will see if that happens. It will be closed in July for 2 week if it does open as schedule.

The centre pier for Black Creek is form, but nothing for the other ones.

Denison bridge is being form.

The retaining walls for the new Weston Station have been built, but still a fair amount of work to be done before the new parking lot can be built. Fall opening for the new station.

King St is closed with all the bush alone the west side of the corridor removed all the way to Weston Rd. Construction hording going up. Will be interesting to see how they relocate the existing track for building the new bridge.

New retraining walls been built along the east side of the CP track north of Church St, which have been relocated from John St to the cut off.

Weston Rd down to a single lane of traffic while various work take place in the northbound lanes.

Had no chance to look at the new Humber Bridge work.

Photos will be on line in a week or so when I have a chance to fix the 2,000 photos in front of them.

As for auguring the piles, I think Metrolinx learn their lesson from the diamond mess and they have more to loose at Strachan if they were to hammer them in.

Back