News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 535     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Just an update on Ajax: There seems to be work ongoing on the connection to the track level from the future garage. Trains are pulling up partially through the station now and only the westernmost six cars are opening doors. Work also is proceeding what looks like laying pipework through the future parking garage site.

Meanwhile, parking is now officially insane. The entrance to the middle parking lot by the Hyundai dealer has had its berms reduced to a mud pit from all the people parking there, and pretty much every row end is getting an extra pair of cars, making it difficult to get through in some areas.

March 01:
Have not seen any construction taking place at Bronte south Parking lot area since Jan and still work to be finish, including rebuilding the south platform.

The Burlington Plus 30 walkway bridge should be open in May, if not sooner.

All the stairwells for Oakville Parking structure have stairs now. The first section with all levels of parking levels is complete and starting the next section to the west now.
6947803081_b4c92e5d4d_b.jpg

6801697566_9613b83d35_b.jpg

6947781627_4f56c56a4b_b.jpg

6801707754_d96444a193_b.jpg

6801704464_6086326d7c_b.jpg

6947812437_2407783841_b.jpg

6947817323_9cdb65fa85_b.jpg

Thanks for the photo's, that's one massive parking garage going up at Oakville. Looks like it'll be just as big as the largest ones downtown.

And I think its time for a little update,

GO is in final negotiations to purchase another portion of the Oakville sub. From Campa (mile 8.4) to Kerr St. (mile 22.1) which is just west of the Oakville GO station (mile 21.4). In addition CN actually wants GO to take the Bala sub off their hands, the portion south of Doncaster that is, (which is between Langstaff and Old Cummer) since maintenance cost are excessive.

GO transit's initial RTC center is rumored to be inside the Oakville parking structure. GO has hired several senior(now retired) CN officials to assist in the transition of dispatching duties from CN to GO for GO's corridors.

There's a massive amount of work on the Weston sub right now. The mainline has been diverted to the south side of the rail corridor at Strachan to begin work on the underpass. Work at West Toronto continues to trod along, the CP tracks are actually resting on bridge spans where it meets the Weston sub, as in they are no longer resting on ballast. Digging continues at the Denison Rd. underpass project and the new Weston station is beginning to take shape. Excavation work has begun at the Weston fly-under and several bridge supports are begging to rise above the humber river. Work has started on a retaining wall for the airport rail link underneath the 427 underpass. This is the first sign of construction for the new spur track going to the airport.

A new lead connecting Willowbrook yard to the mainline west of Mimico station and track 4 from Mimico (mile 6.7 Oakville sub) to Campa (mile 8.4) will soon be laid down. This will reduce congestion for GO & VIA equipment trains leaving their respective yards.

Completion of the Burlington pedestrian bridge was delayed because on the day the bridge was initially hoisted it was discovered that the span was actually too short. I know an error of this kind sounds ridiculous but that is the rumor I've heard. If true I certainly hope GO bans those responsible from biding on any more jobs for their incompetence.

Last edited:
Thanks, as always, Vegeta for the great update on the construction side of things.

The news has been slim pickings lately; I've been wondering about all the EA's and various anticipated construction on which there has not been much news as of late....

(Milton and Lakeshore Guildwood Area EAs); Doncaster and Hamilton Grade separations etc.)

Also, Vegeta do you have any updates for us on the operating side? Post Allendale, have not seen any mention (wasn't on the board agendas) for enhanced rail service this year, though it was mention in the 2012 operating plan, back when.

Thanks in advance for any info. on that score.

Thanks for all the info on the buying/selling of stretches of rail track but, though this may have been dealt with elsewhere, is there a site that lists all these various railway sub-divisions and has a map of what's where and who owns what? . I think I understand what's going on but a visual schematic would make it easier!

Its taken them forever to put that 4th track in at Mimico. The new single bridge went in last fall and part of the 4th track in place then.

On one of my rare ride into Toronto a few weeks ago, still the same way as my last view. The #3 track and switch into VIA Yard beside the GO Mimico station has been removed as well in front of the yard.

My impression was that since the north platform is sooooo narrow and cannot be accessibly, that this rebuilt #3 track will become the eastbound track for the south platform that can become an accessibly platform.

The only way the existing platforms can be upgrade to accessibly standards, is having the yard tracks moved north of where they are now. This can be done when the new condo/station is built where the current station and parking lot is as well widen the bridge to the north.

As for the Bala Sub, no surprise to this, considering how many trains CN runs down that line now.

As for the Oakville Sub, with GO having it, it will be easier for GO to put the 4th track in that going to be needed down the road shortly. Again, CN has very few online industries to service these days along this section.

Once GO has the whole Oakville Sub, maybe the whole section can be rebuilt from the base up that over 125 years old to allow 200-300km/hr speed to meet future needs.

The Milton EA is still fly below the radar since there is no money for it at this time. There is a team in place doing some work on it, so more detail info can be presented to the public when it surface, than in the past. There are a lot of issues that have to be dealt with along this line and a good time to look at them in detail before going out to the public.

I believe 2014 is when Kerr St is to be grade separated. This will leave only 2 grade crossing for the Oakville sub. No plans to do the one at Port Credit at all at this time and that should happen when the 3rd track was being built. Maybe when the 4th track goes in.

The one big question now on the table since CN has apply to abandon Niagara Falls bridge, is when is GO going to run trains to NF 7 days a week with midday service? If VIA/Amtrak are unwilling to buy and maintain the bridge, buses will have to be use to transfer riders across the border. Niagara Falls NY is building a $35m station with very little room for custom inspection. I can see VIA dropping this line overtime.

Edit: I forgot this at the time, but "WHO" is responsible for the error on the Burlington Bridge? The structural engineer is responsible for all design work from the ground up. For the bridge to be short as noted, there are 4 places this error could occurred.
1.) The centre to centre measurement of the pier support were measure wrong as well the distance to the existing structure during the design stage. Who was responsible for the field measurements?
2.) During the construction phase, the footing and pier were place wrong or the cap was place wrong.
3.) The fabricator of the bridge miss read the measurement when producing the fabrication shop details (Detailing done either in house or outside) and was fabricated that way. The fabricator produced detail fabrication drawings that have to be approved by the contractor and engineer before fabrication can take place with this measuring error. Why wasn't this error caught during the approval stage?
4.) During the fabrication, something was fabricated wrong and the shop foreman/supervisor fail to do final inspection to make sure it was fabricated as call for before being ship to site?

If there was an architect for this bridge, then they are the starting point since they design the bridge, hire the engineering firm for designing the structure components, unless in house as well oversee the whole project.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info on the buying/selling of stretches of rail track but, though this may have been dealt with elsewhere, is there a site that lists all these various railway sub-divisions and has a map of what's where and who owns what? . I think I understand what's going on but a visual schematic would make it easier!

2 seconds on Google http://www.trainweb.org/railsintoronto/bigmap.html

Thanks, certainly useful for sub-division names and locations but it dates from 2005 and GO-Metrolinx has purchased sections of track from both CN and CP in the last few years. I have been unable to find a map that is up to date on ownership and thus shows sections that GO-Metrolinx ought to buy. Any other ideas?

Someone has posted a very good one before... not sure who though.

Edited to add:

6803725890_f16ecaf2f3_b.jpg

NOT MY WORK.

Last edited:
My impression was that since the north platform is sooooo narrow and cannot be accessibly, that this rebuilt #3 track will become the eastbound track for the south platform that can become an accessibly platform.

The only way the existing platforms can be upgrade to accessibly standards, is having the yard tracks moved north of where they are now. This can be done when the new condo/station is built where the current station and parking lot is as well widen the bridge to the north.

I'd have to assume that GO is in negotiations with that developer regarding parking. The plan is to make Mimico accessible and widen the platform for 12 cars rather than moving the station to Park Lawn which was previously rumored. But I've yet to hear the details of how they are going to do it.

As for the Oakville Sub, with GO having it, it will be easier for GO to put the 4th track in that going to be needed down the road shortly. Again, CN has very few online industries to service these days along this section.

Indeed. The only industries that CN seems to switch out on a regular basis is the Clarkson refinery and the Shell oil storage facility in Oakville.

I believe 2014 is when Kerr St is to be grade separated. This will leave only 2 grade crossing for the Oakville sub. No plans to do the one at Port Credit at all at this time and that should happen when the 3rd track was being built. Maybe when the 4th track goes in.

There's quite a few more than 2 unfortunately unless you just meant major roads (Burloak and 4th line?).
Going from east to west there's still Haige, Ogden, Alexandra and Revus between Long Branch and Port Credit. Then Stavebank, Lorne Park and Clarkson rd. to Clarkson. I agree they should of grade separated Stavebank by Port Credit when they had the road closed and could of detoured the 2 main lines at the time. Then you have Chartwell before Oakville. At least all of these are relatively minor roads, perhaps some of them can/will be closed rather than grade separated. And then there's Kerr st. and 4th line before Bronte. Burloak before Applby and King rd between Burlington and Aldershot. Work was started last year on grade separating King rd but has since been stopped due to some funding dispute. :mad:
Hopefully it'll be restated soon and once Kerr is done that would leave 10 crossings to grade separate or close.

Edit: I forgot this at the time, but "WHO" is responsible for the error on the Burlington Bridge?

Good question, unfortunately its probably one that the general public will probably never know. But this type of thing shouldn't be happening in today's day and age. Perhaps going with the cheapest bidder is not always the best solution...

Opps!! I realize my error related to crossing after I post it, but was thinking of 2 crossing that have an impact of speed. There are a number as noted above, but no rush to grade separate them other than Kerr and King. The ones in Mississauga are going to be a bitch to do as it will require roads to be cut off as well tearing a number of homes down. I expect one of those roads will not see a grade separation and will be closed off at the tracks. Looking at about $150m to $200m to grade separate the whole line at this time from Toronto to Hamilton.

There is/was 2 industries in the Long Branch area still being service by CN off the mainline, 1/2 at Clarkson other than tank cars, 2 in Bronte as well the tank farm and 5 in the Appleby area. A number of industries have had switches to them removed in the past 5 years.

Missing GO to KW on the map.

The one big question now on the table since CN has apply to abandon Niagara Falls bridge, is when is GO going to run trains to NF 7 days a week with midday service? If VIA/Amtrak are unwilling to buy and maintain the bridge, buses will have to be use to transfer riders across the border. Niagara Falls NY is building a $35m station with very little room for custom inspection. I can see VIA dropping this line overtime.

First time I've heard about CN wanting to abandon the NFalls bridge. Do you have a link or an article?

Back