News   May 24, 2024
 8.1K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 465     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Don't see any platforms being extended to Dufferin St once a new Dufferin streetcar track is built on it, since there will be no stop there. The EX will be the stop. Moreso, no room for the westbound. If a stop is added at Dufferin, it will be an east-west to allow interchange with the new west line going to the Humber and that is decades off.

I don't see where a new stop would go. Dufferin Loop will be at the new east-west street for Liberty Village, between Dufferin and Starchan, users getting off at Dufferin Loop could just walk from there. Plus, I forget where I saw it, but city staff have put forward something about a Dufferin and Exhibition Loop connection for streetcars, providing an even more direct connection.

I don't see where a new stop would go. Dufferin Loop will be at the new east-west street for Liberty Village, between Dufferin and Starchan, users getting off at Dufferin Loop could just walk from there.
The plans on the city website show that the new stop would be temporarily on the east side of Dufferin, just south of the Gardiner - with a long-range plan to move it to the west side of Dufferin.

upload_2016-8-18_13-5-46.png

So that's pretty much underneath:

upload_2016-8-18_13-6-33.png

Presumably the Exhibition loop stop would have to be rebuilt, and the southern entrance to the tunnel would have to be moved further south, and the station building moved.

I never said the GO platform would be dug up again - I was referring to Exhibition GO station as a whole.

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-18_13-5-46.png
    upload_2016-8-18_13-5-46.png
    324.6 KB · Views: 630
  • upload_2016-8-18_13-6-33.png
    upload_2016-8-18_13-6-33.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 474
Where can I see more information on this?

Thanks
This is still up in the air as its part of the Waterfront Reset Review.

It doesn't show the line going west, as it will be an + junction, not the T.

Access to Dufferin aside there needs to be a second route between the Eastbound and Westbound platforms. The current tunnel under the tracks is regularly overwhelmed by crowds whenever there is an event at BMO/Ricoh/Ex/Direct Energy building/Molson Amp.

Where can I see more information on this?
Click on the plan, it goes to the study page.

This is still up in the air as its part of the Waterfront Reset Review.
As is everything under this system until it's under construction ... or later.

It doesn't show the line going west, as it will be an + junction, not the T.
I'm pretty sure that the image I posted shows it going north, west, and east. It doesn't show it going south.

Access to Dufferin aside there needs to be a second route between the Eastbound and Westbound platforms. The current tunnel under the tracks is regularly overwhelmed by crowds whenever there is an event at BMO/Ricoh/Ex/Direct Energy building/Molson Amp.
Probably - though the tunnel extension to the north currently under construction will help a bit, as that will help with the bottleneck, which isn't the tunnel itself, but the stairs to the platform at the north end.

Click on the plan, it goes to the study page.

As is everything under this system until it's under construction ... or later.

I'm pretty sure that the image I posted shows it going north, west, and east. It doesn't show it going south.

Probably - though the tunnel extension to the north currently under construction will help a bit, as that will help with the bottleneck, which isn't the tunnel itself, but the stairs to the platform at the north end.
Dufferin is shown this way as its has more legs than any thing going west. Going west is also part redesigning Lakeshore that went through an EA Years ago and that had the LRT going down the centre.

I miss read the plan, but the platforms are where I said they would be.

There has been a complaint for years to have a 2nd tunnel to the EX and time to do it with all the development taking place in the area.

I still hold the opinion that if anyone other than the city of Toronto owned that stadium...when the plans were unveiled to increase capacity by ~50% the owner would have been told "sure, but for safety reasons we need you to pay for another access/crossing of the track - either a second tunnel or a bridge"...but since the same entity was making the application and approving it the answer was "sure, knock yourself out"....the crowds after games are simply unsafe.

I still hold the opinion that if anyone other than the city of Toronto owned that stadium...when the plans were unveiled to increase capacity by ~50% the owner would have been told "sure, but for safety reasons we need you to pay for another access/crossing of the track - either a second tunnel or a bridge"...but since the same entity was making the application and approving it the answer was "sure, knock yourself out"....the crowds after games are simply unsafe.

I can see them bringing back a bridge over the tracks as a quick fix.

The signs at the Barrie Line double tracking construction site have long stated "Approx. date to complete works: August 2016", so I went out on August 17, 2016 to see if construction is wrapping up.
29134419605_a141558e7e_b.jpg

Unfortunately, it is not. This explains why hourly off-peak service is not starting until next year.
Looking south from North Rivermede - this looks the same as when I visited in June
29057517041_eacca7d4fd_b.jpg

Looking north from North Rivermede - this looks the same as when I visited in December 2015 (!)
29134439435_6a95e67951_b.jpg

All work appears to have been on the bridge over the West Don River, just south of Langstaff Road. The bridge now appears to be complete with all three decks installed - in June only a single deck had been installed.

Re-vegetation is coming along nicely on the east side of the widened embankment, especially south of the bridge (in the distance):
29134413425_604a7d4014_b.jpg

New bridge, looking from the east side:
28512844534_d283620b65_b.jpg

Looking south along the tracks from Langstaff:
29029291292_11502c9ef8_b.jpg

28512802234_dc0fa8db5f_b.jpg

Looking from the west side (the train is on the furthest track):
28515867823_0e3a5988ba_b.jpg

Great pics! I'm impressed that they went for a much longer span to allow the original abutments to show. It may sound odd, but the original bridge adjacent is a very handsome structure.

Is the new bridge going to have an arch?

I guess the cycle path under the bridge to the east to the Botanical Gardens is still blocked?

Last edited:
As far as I know......there has been no discussion about any changes.
When I saw the Hamilton's Bayview Junction on Friday, they still have to build the support piers and at the rate this thing is going, it will be spring before the new track is in place. The south pier will be built first.

The north pier will be set back from the channel edge for flooding reasons. I don't expect you will see the same looks as the existing one, once built. Once the bridge and track in place, have to rework the junction for CP. New signal mast in place for CP to get onto the corridor.

Finally caught up to the various projects I haven't seen in the 6-8 months and just starting to work on the photos.

<sarcastic>Summer 2017 for Burlington</sarcastic>. They were installing the 2 elevators on Friday as well the roof trusses for the finally extension. Unreal that Bondfield still on the site. The next year or so will tell if they stay in business, since they fail to bring any project in on time and budget regardless as a general contractor or part of a P3 these past 3 years that I have seen so far, with this being longest.

Making good headway for the west end of the south platform at Bronte and could be in service by year end.

Back