News   Jul 17, 2024
 580     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 648     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The ML Ready Mix lands (29 Judson Street, which, as far as I can tell, are not owned by Dunpar nor subject to redevelopment) sit on land where the Grand Trunk Mimico Station used to be, before it was moved across Judson Street and fixed up. The Dunpar lands, immediately to the west, at 49, 53 and 55 Judson, were industrial, and separate from the CN yard.

Dunpar have a proposal that includes building on the present ML Ready Mix property, and an offer to buy it is pending based on getting rezoning to allow it.
[Employment uses only were recommended for the Judson Street frontage, including the
concrete batching plant at 29 Judson Street and the 49-55 Judson Street site which is subject of this application, based on the Provincial Policy framework and the difficulties in achieving separation and mitigation given the proximity to the Willowbrook Rail Yard.]
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/pg/bgrd/backgroundfile-90450.pdf

In all fairness, the *apparent* presentation seems to change depending on whose viewpoint is presented, I'm still digging on it, and was about to resume watching the City Council debates on it, and just about to pick-up where this gentleman appears, and lo and behold, Google shows this:
1:10 p.m., Wednesday May 11, 2016, outside committee room 1, Toronto City Hall. Sam Piscione after speaking against the Dunpar Homes development planned near Judson St.

Problems playing video? Try Vimeo.
http://signaltoronto.com/signal-toronto-weekly-news-brief-may-13-2016/

At Wednesday’s Planning and Growth meeting, local resident Sam Piscione came to speak about the Mimico-Judson Secondary Plan and an application from Dunpar Homes to rezone and build on his street. He compared his safety concerns with the Lake Megantique disaster, reminding the committee of the nearby Willowbrook GO Train refueling station and asking whether the city and taxpayers would cover the cost in the event of an accident. What ensued was a heated back-and-forth exchange with Cllr. John Campbell, who represents a nearby ward. Cllr. Campbell tries to draw Piscione into choosing between two different development options, neither of them favourable to the resident, but Piscione holds his ground while calling Cllr. Campbell out for the tactic. Below are highlights from the exchange.

The effect of the concrete plant on the neighbourhood

Cllr. Campbell: So you’re fairly close to the batching plant.
Piscione: They’re there illegally, so in a democracy that is stunningly hurtful. Other than that, they’ve ruined our community.

Cllr. Campbell: How long has the batching plant been there?
Piscione: Been there near 10 years now. That was CN vacant land. Surplus land sold by CN railway to ML [Ready Mix]. ML has no building permits. This plant has been there during my children’s most formative years emitting toxic pollutants into the air, onto the roads, breaking bylaws with 400 trucks a day etc… This plant would not be allowed to locate there in a third world country, just so we’re clear.

A park instead of profit

Cllr. Campbell: What would you like to see it replaced with, aside from green grass?
Piscione: Yeah the park that everyone has a hard time situating. Put the park there.

Cllr. Campbell: I think…
Piscione: I’ve given you my answer. I think the park would be perfect there.

Cllr. Campbell: Aside from a park, I mean some sort of development or office?
Piscione: I would definitely hate an intensification of residential units…. The thing that I like is a park.

Cllr. Campbell: Well, everyone likes park.
Piscione: Yeah for sure, but you guys are planning for one, and you can’t find a spot for it, so we’ll take it.

Cllr. Campbell: The land has value…
Piscione: Absolutely.

Cllr. Campbell: …and there’s not a lot of profits in parks.
Piscione: That’s your job, sir.

Cllr. Campbell: Take my word, unless you’re selling a park there’s no profit…
Piscione: Absolutely I’m just here to give you my opinion of living on Judson St. for 58 years, having lived with a neighbour ML Ready Mix who is in blatant breach of law.

No intensification

Cllr. Campbell: So why are you more opposed to the idea of residential development than continuing on with the existing form with the batch plant?
Piscione: Residential intensification will bring all kinds of traffic. We live on the edge of the residential, we’re right at the edge of where the kids come. Everyone knows that the railways been there before certain people were cowboys.

You’re steering me like a card trick

Cllr. Campbell: So if you had to choose between the batching plant for another 10 to 20 years or a residential development?
Piscione: No, you’re steering me like a card trick to get the answer you like. I can do a trick right now that will blow your mind. I’m a magician.

Cllr. Campbell: I’m just trying to understand. I mean, if it was a choice — because right now it’s there.
Piscione: That’s such an insane option of this or this. A or B

Shiner: All right gentlemen can we get a question and an answer. If you want to take it outside. And if you take it outside that’s okay.

Piscione: Are we done sir? Sorry do you have a question?
http://signaltoronto.com/signal-toronto-weekly-news-brief-may-13-2016/

Edit to Add:
Folks, you have to watch the vid linked above. Dynamite! This is the guy that Rob Ford had dreamed about being. *By far* the most effective orator through this whole sordid mess. And he nailed the smarmy, scheming, manipulative Cnclr Campbell.

Now THIS guy should run for the local councillor instead of the sorry one they have and adjacent scheming councillors too.

Last edited:
I know Sam. Great guy. One of the community's strongest anti-Grimes, anti-DiCiano and anti-city hall figures. He says it like it is.

Whether you're in HBS or Mimico; Grimey will screw you. He only cares about the west end of the ward. The east is to make money for improvements in the west. We are preparing a table of S37 funds from the start of HBS to today. It shows a trend of funnelling money away from the immediate community. Marie Curtis park improvements including the skate park were paid by S37 funds from the Monarch condos. Outrageous when Humber Bay Parks have a serious maintenance issue.

NB: 2/3 of the ward 6 votes will be in HBS by 2018. Grimey is done.

Last edited:
I know Sam. Great guy. One of the community's strongest anti-Grimes, anti-DiCiano and anti-city hall figures. He says it like it is.

Whether you're in HBS or Mimico; Grimey will screw you. He only cares about the west end of the ward. The east is to make money for improvements in the west. We are preparing a table of S37 funds from the start of HBS to today. It shows a trend of funnelling money away from the immediate community. Marie Curtis park improvements including the skate park were paid by S37 funds from the Monarch condos. Outrageous when Humber Bay Parks have a serious maintenance issue.

NB: 2/3 of the ward 6 votes will be in HBS by 2018. Grimey is done.

Grimes did quite well in Humber Bay Shores in 2014; the main opponent, Russ Ford, claimed that John Tory was robocalling to support Grimey. I guess Tory preferred to have a crooked, but politically reliable councillor than a progressive in Ward 6.

https://seanmarshall.ca/2014/12/17/mapping-the-2014-toronto-election-wards-5-and-6/

Grimes did quite well in Humber Bay Shores in 2014; the main opponent, Russ Ford, claimed that John Tory was robocalling to support Grimey. I guess Tory preferred to have a crooked, but politically reliable councillor than a progressive in Ward 6.

https://seanmarshall.ca/2014/12/17/mapping-the-2014-toronto-election-wards-5-and-6/
Just accessing your link now.
"I guess Tory preferred to have a crooked, but politically reliable councillor than a progressive in Ward 6.". I was treading carefully to make sure I didn't post anything slanderous or otherwise legally questionable...lol..but it appears that worry is moot. Events *appear* to be...well...'crooked', but whether they're bent in the way that seems obvious or some other remains to be seen. With Metrolinx now aggrieved, one wonders where the local MPPs stand on this? And if there's an investigation in the offing?

Edit to Add: Excellent article Shon. "Peter Milczyn, the long-time councillor for the area, was elected as the area’s MPP in the June 2014 provincial election.". Speak of the devil...I wonder what his view of this is?

Last edited:
I've sent that link to a number of persons as one of the best performances of the year. I keep watching it for inspiration. Downloaded the clip.

Just re-reading a letter from ML Ready Mix' legal counsel to the City of Toronto, published on the City's website. It's even more intriguing than I first thought. If anyone can separate page three of this letter, and post it as an attachment or file here, please do so. It's dynamite in many respects, especially in light of of the full Council meeting having legal advice of "No" on whether the City can expropriate the present property at 29 Judson St:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2014/ey/comm/communicationfile-47475.pdf

ML's legal counsel claims that it is, and states that their client is willing to sell under a "Section 30" expropriation order. If the City bought this property, *ostensibly* (Metrolinx might think otherwise) it would address a number of issues. Whether that 'opens another can of worms' is a good question.

I'd appreciate someone else's take on this letter, albeit it is highly manipulative, and as slippery as every other dealing with this affair.

Edit to Add: Whoa! Just reading further, and there's a bombshell in the letter that I missed in previous reading: ML Ready Mix counsel claims that (verbatim) "Metrolinx made a previous offer to purchase the ML lands" (ML = ML Ready Mix).

Now there's fodder for an investigative reporter!

Last edited:
Is ML Ready Mix still operating at 29 Judson Street? I noticed that the silos at nearby 49 Judson were removed, but it didn't look like they were used by ML. And that ML Ready Mix was/is using some of the now-Dunpar lands for parking its trucks.

I was out in the area yesterday, trying to sort out this mess by visiting in person, but nothing seemed entirely clear.

Is ML Ready Mix still operating at 29 Judson Street? ...I was out in the area yesterday, trying to sort out this mess by visiting in person, but nothing seemed entirely clear.
Just did a quick check online:
https://www.google.ca/?client=ubunt...882b3626ceeb7de1:0x7ed3b05214698b74&gfe_rd=cr
Is this place permanently closed, moved or does not exist?
Yes
No
M L Ready Mix Concrete Address: 29 Judson St, Etobicoke, ON M8Z 1A4Phone: (416) 603-7878
Category: Home and Construction
The "no" button was checked as the page opened. Curiouser and curiouser...

RE: My prior post "Metrolinx made a previous offer to purchase the ML lands" a verbatim quote from ML Ready Mix' counsel letter...counsel is smart enough not to make a completely false statement, and I can believe an offer was made, (although I have no proof), but the real story would be why it was not entertained. Soil toxicity might be a good place to start. And it's not just pH due to the caustic lime.

This could be nothing/regular brush clearing maintenance, but over the past few days I've noticed some very aggressive brush clearing on the south side of the Lakeshore West Corridor between Long Branch station and Port Credit Station. They are clearing both small shrubs and larger trees. Many of the things that were cut were quite far from existing trackage to start, and didn't seem to be an immediate threat to GO trains. Conveniently, it now appears that there is ample room for a new track. Also, just east of Port Credit station there are excavation crews that seem to be widening a larger culvert. Also, on some abandoned trackage in this area new tracks have been placed on top.

I consider myself to be decently informed on GO-issues but I didn't think LSW widening was happening at this point. Can someone shed some light on if this is just routine maintenance or the start of something bigger? (Sorry, I wasn't able to grab pics)

I believe there is EA work underway, but that's a long way from starting to add a fourth track. If they are laying out track materials, it's likely for a diversion of some sort. Maybe a grade separation?

I know they have a plan to rearrange things right at Port Credit station, but that's not adding tracks. There's the small issue of the Etobicoke Creek bridge and the Brown's Line underpass to solve before any track extension would be feasible.

- Paul

I believe there is EA work underway, but that's a long way from starting to add a fourth track. If they are laying out track materials, it's likely for a diversion of some sort. Maybe a grade separation?

I know they have a plan to rearrange things right at Port Credit station, but that's not adding tracks. There's the small issue of the Etobicoke Creek bridge and the Brown's Line underpass to solve before any track extension would be feasible.

- Paul
They plan to add the 4th track at both Port Credit and Long Branch when they get rebuilt in the coming years. There is work to be done at Dixie Rd and Etobicoke Creek for flooding issues.

To deal with trackwork for Long Branch, I could be wrong, but new bridges are to be built or rework to get 4 tracks in place.

Haven't seen or heard of any EA's for this area yet, but are to come by 2021.

Do any insiders know when the re-tender on the train shed work (+ shed electrification) is expected to occur?

I was expecting it to be well before the current contractor finished the pieces they have left, so the same company could bid on it and have work occur on a contiguous basis (no tear-down/setup).

This could be nothing/regular brush clearing maintenance, but over the past few days I've noticed some very aggressive brush clearing on the south side of the Lakeshore West Corridor between Long Branch station and Port Credit Station. They are clearing both small shrubs and larger trees. Many of the things that were cut were quite far from existing trackage to start, and didn't seem to be an immediate threat to GO trains. Conveniently, it now appears that there is ample room for a new track. Also, just east of Port Credit station there are excavation crews that seem to be widening a larger culvert. Also, on some abandoned trackage in this area new tracks have been placed on top.

Transport Canada recently put out (yet another) edict on vegetation trimming in urban areas as an effort to improve sightlines for the crews - much of the CP lines through town have been cleaned up for the same reason.

While GO would like to add a fourth mainline track through that section, there is no plans to start an EA on it for several years.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Transport Canada recently put out (yet another) edict on vegetation trimming in urban areas as an effort to improve sightlines for the crews - much of the CP lines through town have been cleaned up for the same reason.

While GO would like to add a fourth mainline track through that section, there is no plans to start an EA on it for several years.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thanks for the detail - That makes more sense. The vegetation along LSW was getting really really bad and almost touching passing trains.

Is ML Ready Mix still operating at 29 Judson Street? I noticed that the silos at nearby 49 Judson were removed, but it didn't look like they were used by ML. And that ML Ready Mix was/is using some of the now-Dunpar lands for parking its trucks.

I was out in the area yesterday, trying to sort out this mess by visiting in person, but nothing seemed entirely clear.
I just dropped by there an hour or so ago. The notice of application to rezone for development clearly posted at 49 and adjacent land, nothing at all for the 29 address, and as you infer, fencing between the properties is gone.

Very curious...

Back