News   Apr 23, 2024
 237     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 769     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 452     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Pile driving currently occuring today at Hamilton Junction towards expanded Hamilton/Niagara GO train service:

View attachment 67361

Just an interesting note to UT'ers here.

If you are wondering why this work is being undertaken now in the winter, it's due to water and wildlife considerations. It's a general rule that if you are undertaking work that may cause a disturbance to a waterbody and potentially affect fish and other acquatic wildlife, you undertake the work in the winter. This puts it outside sensitive breeding and spawning windows, and minimizes other impacts like sediment transport.

This may be why there is a disconnect between construction at West Harbour GO and Hamilton Junction.

Oshawa is getting a new station building.

North%20View2.jpg

Well they'd committed to replacing the existing station in the same location - so presumably this is it. Bowmanville extension seems to be a long time away.

I presume there is some sort of cost splitting going on with VIA, and even if the Bowmanville extension gets built, VIA will still be using this station.

I agree the Bowmanville extension is aways off. The 401 and CP crossings in particular are major costs. Maybe GO is trying to wait out for a definitive future for the nearby auto plant. If it goes belly up, I'm sure they'd snag CP's spur.

The new Oshawa station is being built in front of the existing small, grotty station building. I *think* that there will be enough space between it and the existing newish overpass that the existing GO tracks can be extended eastwards through the site of the old station (which would result in another island platform, so they'd have to build another staircase and elevator).

The Oshawa station originally had a simple flat roof; a while back, they built a sloped roof overtop of it. I assumed the flat roof had leakage problems, and this was an easy fix.

One big problem with that station is its location. It is inconveniently far from everywhere. Hence the vast parking lots. (Yes, plural. GO just opened a second lot to the west, on the other side of the Mackie Group building.)

The local (DRT) transit options there are very indirect. If you are going to downtown Oshawa, it is much easier to hop on the eastbound Highway 2 GO bus, which passes directly through downtown Oshawa.

I believe the original CN station was located where the tracks cross over Simcoe St. There was also a CP station a little further north, where that line goes under Simcoe St.

Simcoe St is the spine of Oshawa. Major bus routes follow it, going as far as Durham College/UOIT, and it is still the main road out of town to the north.

Maybe GO should try a Markham- style arrangement, with a pedestrian/PPUDO-oriented station where the line crosses Simcoe St, and keep the existing station with its parking lots, as a car-oriented station, just as the Markham station is more pedestrian-oriented, while just up the line is car-oriented Mount Joy. Same with Newmarket and East Gwillimbury.

Didn't the plan for the Bowmanville extension have a station on the CP line just east of Simcoe St, in the old Knob Hill Farms lands?

Didn't the plan for the Bowmanville extension have a station on the CP line just east of Simcoe St, in the old Knob Hill Farms lands?

Yes. This would be the new downtown Oshawa station. There's plans for another station to the west as well, north of the 401, south of the CP mainline and west of Thornton Road. This was the rationale for closing the existing Oshawa station, but with via staying there for (presumably) the long-term, it doesn't seem like a good integration of transit.

I could still see this current GO station being put to good use.

Knob Hills Farm stop can be serviced by GO-RER with multiple stops all day, for more hop-on/hop-off casual transit.

The current GO station can be express downtown during peak times for the business crowd. Commuter express downtown.

As well as VIA of course.

Yes, the Oshawa/Bowmanville spur could be treated in the same way as Hamilton Downtown/West Harbour (spurs). One of two will be all day service, while both runs during peak.

So what was the point of Metrolinx buying the Knob Hill Farm site in Oshawa if they weren't going to do anything with it? Did they just buy it to protect the land for a future station? IE 10-20 years from now?

The Oshawa station originally had a simple flat roof; a while back, they built a sloped roof overtop of it. I assumed the flat roof had leakage problems, and this was an easy fix.

Nope, not quite. VIA got a whack of money in or around 2001 for infrastructure improvements. Amongst other things, this included money to "improve the stations". In the case of a number of them, they were renovated inside and also received a pitched roof and faux clocktower, to make them look more "train station-y". (Oakville, before it was replaced with a new building in 2008 or so, was another station that got the same treatment.)

There was nothing wrong with the building the way it was before, and in fact it wasn't even nearly as old as most of the other stations along the line - it was built in the mid-1960s, if my memory serves.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back