News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 518     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

There's no scope creep. The original contractor cut and ran from the project once they realized that they weren't going to make enough (or any) money on the project.

My understanding is that Metrolinx has gone after the contractor through legal channels, and has banned them from bidding on future projects for some amount of time.

Wowowow! This is news to me, has this been discussed here before? If there was an article on this, I can see people being much more understanding about it.

Sonofabitch, that's a way to make a bad name for yourself.

There's no scope creep. The original contractor cut and ran from the project once they realized that they weren't going to make enough (or any) money on the project.
So that's why Burlington Station was taking forever!

In a relative comparison to Burlington, it seems West Harbour GO is literally speeding along to its 2017 completion (despite Burlington who's lucky to be offered plans for a 15-minute electric service). We mere commuters might complain how slowly GO stations are built, but you just gotta smh and facepalm at Burlington GO.

Still doesn't explain why no elevators after 6 months being open nor the new fare counters not in service.

Burlington Hydro caused some delay by not getting the upgrade done when they supposed to.

The missing roof will be install once the rest of the roof is built for the east end.

This goes hand in hand with the Clarkson Station as it was the same contractor there as well.

Still doesn't explain why no elevators after 6 months being open nor the new fare counters not in service.

Burlington Hydro caused some delay by not getting the upgrade done when they supposed to.

The missing roof will be install once the rest of the roof is built for the east end.

This goes hand in hand with the Clarkson Station as it was the same contractor there as well.

Do you know if they signed any more station contracts between the start of Burlington Station and when they were banned? Just wondering if there are still any "in progress" jobs out there that they're still working on.

Do you know if they signed any more station contracts between the start of Burlington Station and when they were banned? Just wondering if there are still any "in progress" jobs out there that they're still working on.
No idea if other contracts were sign since I haven't been follow it.

The major work taking place at Burlington today is building the east entrance and connecting it to the exist new sections. The steel for the new walkway and east parking lot went up last fall with the parking area to be finish in the spring as well the missing section of the new bus terminal loop.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Could you clarify, because to the best of my knowledge (see this post, from March 2013), Bondfield has been at Burlington GO Station since Spring 2013 at the very least (and I seem to remember that this job was tendered in 2012 at some point) and they still appear to be there to this day. Did they take on work that wasn't in their original contract and assume the work of the contractor that "cut and run"?

Could you clarify, because to the best of my knowledge (see this post, from March 2013), Bondfield has been at Burlington GO Station since Spring 2013 at the very least (and I seem to remember that this job was tendered in 2012 at some point) and they still appear to be there to this day. Did they take on work that wasn't in their original contract and assume the work of the contractor that "cut and run"?
To my best knowledge, Bondfield has been the main contractor on both projects from day one.

Clarkson was a P3 to the point Bondfield was trying to make changes to the mesh for Clarkson that it wasn't order in 2014 from Europe until late summer/fall after it was supposed be order. They wanted to change it because of cost. Metrolinx finally put their foot down and told Bondfield to comply with the contract and design.

As for Burlington, other than Burlington Hydro delaying the power upgrade, Bondfield as far as I can see is dragging their feet unless Metrolinx has delay it for some reason.

What is amusing, Bondfield is 75% completed on Mississauga Sherdian College addition that is 4/5 story tall that started last year. Its to open in Aug this year.

I have never see the design detail drawings for Burlington to see if changes where made that may effect the contract.

If Ig Nobel Prizes for Ontario Transit existed, I hereby nominate Burlingon GO station construction as one of the many, many qualified candidates I can think of.

(Hmm! Imagine all the flashy media gimmicks, crowdfunded by IndieGoGo by transit advocates and urbantoronto members, put into the news media, awarding a cheesy Ig Nobel prizes to all high profile transit messups everywhere in Ontario. Or even just a student group making a YouTube video: Plopping down a cheesy podium, oversized flashy fake prize, and roll of red carpet felt from FabricLand -- set up in a strategic location with the nominated locations in the background, with an acting routine or silly/sarcastic song, location by location, to create a funny viral YouTube video. Oh, one can dream!)

Last edited:

I'll need to follow up with my contact on this for all of the gory details, but my understanding is that Bondfield was the engineering contractor for the Burlington Station, and remain in that position today. The issue was with the main general contractor for the job.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'll need to follow up with my contact on this for all of the gory details, but my understanding is that Bondfield was the engineering contractor for the Burlington Station, and remain in that position today. The issue was with the main general contractor for the job.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I would be interested to know. Bondfield is a mid-sized general contractor and not an engineering consultant. I'm was also pretty sure they were awarded the station relocation as a lump sum from the get-go, but maybe I'm wrong.

EDIT: Seems like Brown & Co is or was the Structural Engineer.

Last edited:
From today at Exhibition.

IMG_20160214_131815.jpg

PANO_20160214_131502.jpg

Back