News   Apr 26, 2024
 525     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 210     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 691     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

exciting to see these projects starting to move forward.

for the lakeshore east separations, would the smaller crossings in that area get closed under this? Poplar, Manse, and Beechgrove? A new frontage road would probably have to be built if you closed both Beechgrove and Manse though..

Ontario Increasing GO Capacity on the Lakeshore Lines

The Lakeshore East grade separation project will see the construction of overpasses or underpasses at Scarborough Golf Club Road, Galloway Road and Morningside Avenue. The Lakeshore West grade separation project will see the construction of an overpass or underpass at Burloak Drive.
Its been sometime, but I believe all the grade separation for the Lakeshore W Line in Halton will be overpass, since they are cheaper to build and require less time to build. Also, will have less impact on GO service. Even Kerr St is Overpass. Kerr was to happen years ago.

Well it's about damn time.

Poplar would certainly be closed, it's rather inconsequential as is. Hard to say what the plan is for Beechgrove and Manse. Certainly don't need both. Extending Copperfield westward might be difficult though as it would be on Rohm and Haas property and then would have to tie into the future Morningside underpass. Might not be all that more expensive to just grade separate Beechgrove. And there's still the Chesterton Shores pedestrian crossing and Rodd Ave. But they are all less frequently used crossings. Probably don't see removing them as being necessities in the near future and have yet to formulated a clear plan going forward.

Still a huge step to get rid of those not to mention Burloak which is the busiest and most problematic crossing in the entire system. Next I'd like to see them get rid of the Lakeview 3, the Lakeshore West equivalent to the Guildwood 4.

Its been sometime, but I believe all the grade separation for the Lakeshore W Line in Halton will be overpass, since they are cheaper to build and require less time to build. Also, will have less impact on GO service. Even Kerr St is Overpass. Kerr was to happen years ago.

Makes sense. Overpases while being cheap are longer but space is not an issue at Burloak. Galloway Road and Morningside will most certainly be underpasses(hopefully nice ones :D) to minimize the effect on the grades of the local road network and expropriation of nearby housing. Golf Club Road could go either way.

Nothing special? For a underpass? And that's the key word here. I agree with mdrejhon, that's easily one of the best looking underpasses I've ever seen built in Canada. It has a very open/airy feel to it with a little artistic flair.

The 'openness' of the design is pretty much identical to the the very old underpass on Eglinton East @ Eglinton GO Station. That underpass has less 'design' though it has slopes with trees and greenery instead of concrete retaining walls; though many of the trees, like all in that part of Scarborough, were badly damaged or killed in the 2013 ice storm and the city has yet to either clean up all the debris or replace the dead trees.

Last edited:
I thought the entire Lakeshore Line in the City was grade separated already? Obviously not.

Will these 3 grade separations in Scar mean that the entire Lakeshore Line is now totally grade separated in the city?

I thought the entire Lakeshore Line in the City was grade separated already? Obviously not.

Burloak is on the Lakeshore West side, not the Scarborough side, and Burloak is in the 905 area. It's a very wide artery (4 lanes) that is often clogged at rush hour. Imagine interrupting the flow several times an hour (minimum 4 times an hour) to let a Lakeshore West train pass. Highly annoying for many hundreds of cars every peak. Nothing in Scarb compares to the Burloak situation, as far as I know.

It's almost getting to the silly point where we've still got a at-grade rail crossing on a busy road like Eglinton Avenue, and the system's lazying about installing a grade separation.

So again, after these are done will the whole City of Toronto section of the Lakeshore be grade separated?

Depends if the other at grade crossings in Scarborough are eliminated. There are currently 6 at grade crossings in the area and they are now separating 3 of them, so if they close the other 3, yes, but if they stay open, no.

I think they will likely maintain one: Manse or Beechgrove. It would handle some industrial traffic and softball players, not much though. Eventually the Waterfront Trail will go all along the water, eliminating the need for users to cross except to access locally.

This item is tucked under "station improvements" on the GO Transit web site.

It's interesting that the Kitchener project does not have a spot under "Major Improvements". Nor is there much of a project plan documented. Nor does it get much attention under the Capital projects report to the Board.

I wonder when the work got awarded, and how much it will cost. Is it part of a larger ongoing contract?

- Paul

I would suggest contacting Mandeep Jassal - mandeep.jassal@gotransit.com for those details.

Looking at the cost of this grade separation project gets me thinking.. Could they be adding a 3rd track as well along lakeshore east as part of it? $300 million for 4 grade separations seems like a bit much..

Looking at the cost of this grade separation project gets me thinking.. Could they be adding a 3rd track as well along lakeshore east as part of it? $300 million for 4 grade separations seems like a bit much..

They will likely design for 4, IMO. Gotta provide deadhead capacity to/from the East Rail Maintenance Facility.

Back