News   Apr 25, 2024
 336     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Forum Issues Since Relaunch (Jan 20, 2010)

Okay, I wasn't able to do the crane, because I don't have that image to add onto it. I really like the crane though!

utheader.jpg

I concur with most of the comments about the design being a bit hard on the eyes, and a minimalist approach working better. Mostly I just find that there are too many distractions when browsing threads: the giant icons on the left, the gradients in the background, and the boxes around the page numbers. The reasons I think these are bad design is:

- When you've finished reading a thread, the colour of its title changes already, so that giant icon to the left just adds useless information for the most part. I like that there are sub-icons for locked threads and threads you've posted in, but it would be better if these could exist without the giant letter.
- There's a "piece of paper" icon beside each thread that indicates it's a normal thread. As far as I can tell, you can't click on this, it's just telling me something that's already obvious. Almost all threads have the same icon, so it may as well just not be shown in those cases. It does change for polls, but polls also have a subject that begins with "Poll:", so again, useless information.
- The boxes around the page numbers give them a lot of prominence (in fact there's hardly any separation from the title itself above). You see boxes for 1, 2, 3 for every thread, but realistically people are never going to click on 2 or 3, and even 1 won't get clicked on that often since it's the same as clicking on the title. I like forums that display the page numbers as underlined links. They're just as easy to click on, but don't distract the eye from the most important thing - the title.
- The gradients in the background are distracting.

I do like the speed and some of the new features though. And actually the banner doesn't seem that bad to me, except the "welcome to our planet" tagline which is a bit too cheesy.

Sorry if this seems overly critical, I'm just pointing out what I see as imperfections. The old site undoubtedly had far more of them, but I'm got so used to it I couldn't even tell you what they are.

Last edited:
I frequently used the "advanced search" feature to find the threads which I've posted in with recent new posts. It worked by typing in a username in the username box and then simply hitting search. The results would be all the threads with at least one post by that user arranged in order of threads with most recent posts.

I've experimented with the new "advanced search" page but I haven't been able to figure it out.

When viewing a member's profile page, you can no longer view all of the threads created by that member, only see individual posts.

The search function does not work? This is a key function, but everything I get a result of "no matches" which I am sure there are plenty of matches, such as the keyword "condo"....

I think the search is set to search only the title as default setting. I think this is wise, because it helps you find projects easier.

Am I the only one who when I press on the "go to first new post" icon it only brings me to the top of the page with the first new post, rather than the first new post?

nfitz - that is happening to me as well. I have figured out that if you hit GO TO FIRST NEW POST for the forums, you are at the top of the page of the entry. Along the bar at the top of the thread is a link that says VIEW FIRST UNREAD. Click on that and it will take you to the first post. It is a two step process, but at least it works.

Glad to know that I am not the only un-nerd who is having problems trying to find various threads/posts. I am interested in (a) finding a list of various threads so that I could pick and choose to view a thread and (b) I am specifically looking for a thread for 1 Bloor Street development. Any help will be most welcome and appreciated.

I have to admit I miss the simplicity of the old forum. I wish I could see them side-by-side to compare what things I like from the old and what I like from the new and decide which things to keep and which to drop. Meld the best from the old and the new.

I'm gonna have to say that after using the new site for a few days, that I really don't like the changes. I didn't like the way it was before either though.
The best thing about the new template is that grey bar that separates posts in a thread. It's much easier to distinguish between posts now.

When you have someone on ignore, the space that it takes up to tell you that you're missing a post from an ignored user is way too large.

What's the point of the "Rate This Thread" option? Threads are already rated - by their popularity and the quality of the ideas they express. The yellow stars give disproportionate play to a minor function and add visual clutter to a forum that is increasingly layered. They could be ditched along with those distracting links to peoples' blogs, pet causes, and political slogans at the bottom of their posts.

Okay, I wasn't able to do the crane, because I don't have that image to add onto it. I really like the crane though!

utheader.jpg

I like your header, it seems cleaner and less Martiany than the current one.

Glad to know that I am not the only un-nerd who is having problems trying to find various threads/posts. I am interested in (a) finding a list of various threads so that I could pick and choose to view a thread and (b) I am specifically looking for a thread for 1 Bloor Street development. Any help will be most welcome and appreciated.

I'm also having trouble finding the 1 bloor thread- which seems odd to me because I assume that it's one of the more popular threads.

Back