508     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 820     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 550     0 

Flying American flags in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
If nationalism is dead, why are so many people anti-American?

How do you define 'anti-American'? Because I don't think that Canadians are anti-American at all, really. Sure, people may grumble about some specific aspect of US politics or culture they dislike, but that hardly makes them 'anti-American'. (If you want to see real anti-Americanism, go to Pakistan, North Korea, etc.)

What I do not do is label every expression of disapproval of US politics or culture as 'anti-American'. I have my own set of opinions and beliefs, some of which diverge from the standard US culture (and standard Canadian culture, too, for that matter). But I certainly don't consider myself 'anti-American', nor do I consider somebody who protests against (for example) the Chinese practice of using prisoners as involuntary organ donors to be 'anti-Chinese'.

Look above to digi's response.

oops. i guess i didn't notice it because being a canadian myself, i was probably loaded on beer. please excuse me while i go wrap my hockey sticks with bacon & block all the american channels from my TV set..

;)

No Canadians hate American foreign policy and their blind patriotism.

Canadians are proud that they are not blinded by patriotism and nationalism unlike our friends down south.

This is one of the big differences between Canada and the States. There may not be much psychically that separates us, but its the attitudes that we belief in that do.

I do not know about you guys, but every time I go to the States and come back to Canada I feel so relaxed and happy and feel a really different mood and atmosphere.

I think it is just being happy you are in your own backyard. :D

Went camping over the 4th of July weekend....it amazed me, the number of (patriotic) americans, flying their american flags...while celebrating their 'independance'...in Canada.

Canadians are proud that they are not blinded by patriotism and nationalism unlike our friends down south.

This is one of the big differences between Canada and the States. There may not be much psychically that separates us, but its the attitudes that we belief in that do.

I do not know about you guys, but every time I go to the States and come back to Canada I feel so relaxed and happy and feel a really different mood and atmosphere.

Am I the only person who finds this bashing of Americans' perceived ignorance and smugness to be a little bit ironic?

I don't know how many times I've heard some Canadians complain about how unpatriotic we are when compared to Americans.

I don't know how many times you've heard that either...once maybe?
I've never heard it, so I guess our ancedotal evidence cancels each other out ;)

No, it does not.

Just because you have never heard such things does not mean that I have not. So your conclusion is quite incorrect.

I've heard it before, but it never seems to be in a negative light. Always in a sort of "Americans are too crazy with their excessive nationalism".

Anyways I've never noticed any lack of Canadian pride in this country.

I've heard it before, but it never seems to be in a negative light. Always in a sort of "Americans are too crazy with their excessive nationalism". Anyways I've never noticed any lack of Canadian pride in this country.
I agree. I think Canadians display a lot of patriotism, but it isn't always recognized as we look south when trying to compare ourselves to something else.

Our lack of "excessive" patriotism was often talked about negatively until the Iraq War I find. For instance, "why can't we wave our flags like those Americans do so proudly?" However, in the post-911 world we seem to have changed tunes and are now saying stuff like "Americans are too crazy with their excessive nationalism." Basically, Canada does't know what it wants.

Still, I don't mind waving the flag on Canada Day and speaking positively and vaguely patriotically when somebody asks, but in general, I much prefer our more tepid and reserved nationalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back