471     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 360     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 562     0 

Flying American flags in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
This video is a prime example of why I'd never want to see Canada become part of the USA!

Angry people should not be allowed to wield sharp instruments.

I wonder if the Mexican store owner knew about the law concerning flags?

I have quite a few American friends who are wonderful people... though I hate everything the political entity stands for. I couldnt care less about any flag... nationalism is so 19th century. Flying flags is a courtesy done for the masses. Until I am forced to worship a flag through threat of violence I dont really give it a thought.

So, last month I was in Europe (Belgium, Ireland and England) and I noticed among many differences that these countries do not fly other country's flags.
As someone who was in Ireland a couple of weeks ago (and is from Ireland originally) I can categorically state that this is horse-excrement. In fact, I noticed the Canadian flag flying from a Grafton Street department store, and many hotels fly the American flag since they know where their profit margin comes from.

bluehaven.jpg

Not to mention the many US multinationals with operations in Ireland like Dell, Intel, Apple, Motorola etc.

As for European flags - there was a time when you would have seen German, French flags etc. flown individually but with the EU's expansion to 27 countries and low cost airlines bringing tourists from all over Europe it is often more prudent to fly the 12 stars than have 12 or more flag poles.

P1010153.JPG

As for European flags - there was a time when you would have seen German, French flags etc. flown individually but with the EU's expansion to 27 countries and low cost airlines bringing tourists from all over Europe it is often more prudent to fly the 12 stars than have 12 or more flag poles.

BINGO! The EU flag is a rough equivalent of flying all the European flags, and it pretty much always flies with the national flag. So many border countries - are they really going to fly them all? No.

The question here certainly is one of geographic proximity. I really don't see that many US flags in Toronto... Yes, I see a lot of them in the Niagara region, but I also see lots of Canadian flags in border states, especially New York state. I don't think it's a real problem.

Until I am forced to worship a flag through threat of violence I dont really give it a thought.
They say American students don't have to say the pledge, but if you don't, a lot of teachers are going to give you a really hard time (and you're risking your grade at the same time). And this is off topic, but its ridiculous to see so many people demanding the "under god" line be kept when it was added in 1950 or something, over 150 years after the pledge was actually written.

It could be worse, looks like the Canadian flag was flying prominently during Bill Clinton's swearing in ceremony in 1993.

Fast forward this video to 1 minute 25 seconds and look at the crowds gathering below the Maple Leaf. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqXIC_Fawv4

The perfect kind of flag to fly in Bill Clinton's presence is a thong

or a semen stained blue dress. is that spangle on the banner?

I would prefer that to the blood-soaked clothing of the Bush administration.

blue dress with white "stars" next to a white sheet with red blood streaks; a flag that describes the events of recent american history.

I wonder if the blue dress will end up in the Smithsonian?

it'd be a great artifact from the cli't'n era. ;)

If nationalism is dead, why are so many people anti-American? ... Just sayin'

Personally I don't sing national anthems because they are kind outdated. But there's nothing wrong with being proud of some of the things your country can accomplish, e.g. gay marriage. And we can also be happy that Mass. and Cali have seen the light as well. Doesn't mean we're nationalist boneheads.

One of the things I love about Canada is that its not a hyper-nationalistic country. But on the other hand, its a nation that has a lot of things to be proud of, and being at the forefront in civil rights is one of those things Canada can always claim. Never a harm in being proud of your country for what it does right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back